Free Air Subs

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-01, 10:44 AM
Eric Holdaway
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Valid Points

Originally posted by Mean Gene
Ron - Well, as U can see, there R many different schools of thought on systems & most have valid points. While I don't know Eric personally ( & I'm not about to turn this into a flame! ),

And I do not want a flame either. Sorry if I came off that way.

I'm very aware of his company & it's association with David Navrone's Buick GN - have met David once & found him to be open & friendly, unlike some others that we don't care to discuss here. I guess the only
Well, actually , or unfortunatly, deprnding on which side you look at it from, we sold the car to Richard Clark, and he still ownes it.

Yes, David is a really good guy. I like him.

realistic thing for ya to do would be to find some folks with modded systems in your area & let YOUR ears be the judges. That said, I WILL defend the "My SPL" quote. The SPL portion is still part of every USAC/IASCA/MECA event that I've entered so there is merit in having a system that will make pressure. Loudness does nothing for my ears, either but, living down in the Deep South where "Crank-It-Ups" were born, U kinda have it in your blood.

Than you should be in favor of 15" subs. Larger subs can acheive much higher spls than smaller subs.

I guess I only point this out because there are SO many advantages to LARGE drivers, and everyone is affraid to use them. But, I predict that in the near future, said 5 years, 15" will be come common place.

I justify this prediction by the fact that I have watch the subwoofer growth from 6" and 6x9 subs in the early 80's then 8" was king in the mid to late 80's then 10" ruled for much of the 90's and the 12" is now the dominate size used.
Old 07-14-01, 03:17 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All recommendations welcome

I realized that you guys had some differing opinions and it looks like they could be more related to the intended use than anything. I have absolutely no doubt that two 15" subs would have more presence than a single 10 or 12 but the ground rules I laid out, that Mean Gene responded to, was pretty much a serious upgrade of the stock setup but not getting extreme. If I didn't make that clear than the fault is mine. Serious for me is a couple of grand of components (yeah, that is serious for me) and a week worth of my time but I don't figure it gets close to the investment you guys are talking about ( I also know that the system I wind up with will not sound like your systems either). I know I posted this about free air subs but certainly for me the subs are not the system, they are just a part of the system. Staying within the constraints of not really wanting to lose too much space or get whacky on the value of the sound system relative to the value of the whole car, moving to Dyns in the stock speaker locations and some upgrade of the sub is in order. I hope there is no disagreement about that. Question for me is what kind of sub upgrade and when do I really need an external amp (full well realizing that I will be using the less than ideal line level converters as there are no conveninet low level outs to grab).

I figure that pretty much relegates me to non-serious category for the types of systems you guys are talking about. I also want to tell you both how much I appreciate your input, especially when it comes to specific brands or components. I figure you guys have spent a lot of time and money over the years finding out what doesn't work and I really appreciate your sharing it. Not against making mistakes on my own, but I do appreciate the input I get here. Even if it is not something I will do, I enjoy being able to get input from a discussion among knowledgeable people.