Sponsored by:

Some GS400 speaker/head unit install questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-01, 04:19 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
If I were to get the Focals or Dynaudios (notoriously deep mounting depths) , I know I need a 1/2 inch baffle and a 1 inch spacer for the front. Do I need a spacer for the rear speakers if I use the a 1/2 inch baffle? I might put a OZ Audio 6 1/2 inch speaker in there (have a pair from previous install) but they also have like a 3 inch mounting depth.

Also, I went to the old forum and dug out Percy's in depth description of the exact size to cut the trim panel...(super super helpful..thankx) I was wondering how you guys covered the panels. With vinyl? spray paint? I was considering using black or smoke plexiglas.
I have a beige interior by the way.

Last, is there an easy way to connect an Alpine CVA-1005/1006 harness to the car's harness? something made by Scoche? (you know...the remote turn on, power, ground....) or do I have cut the car's harness and connect the wires individually? If so, anybody know what color wires are for what?

Thanks
Any help is greatly appreciated

Old 07-06-01, 04:58 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Input

Am - I originally had a pair of Diamond Audio 6.5 drivers in the rear doors & didn't need a spacer but just a baffle to bolt the drivers into. Not sure what U mean by the panel color - my system uses the stock grills for the door speakers. Don't think Scosche or Metra make any kind of harness for the GS yet & as I changed everything in my GS, didn't have a compatability problem with the factory head unit - sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 07-06-01, 05:56 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

Default oops...should've been more clear

sorry about that MG....I should've been more clear

THe trim panel I was referring to was the one you have to make to fit a double din head unit in the stock radio location. (The stock radio is shaped like a trapezoid so it wouldn't accomodate normal din/double din sized stereo) The vinyl, spray paint i was refering to was what is used to cover the trim panel..(wouldn't look too good if i left a piece of mdf with my head unit in it right?

BTW...i saw your install...very very nice...exactly what I want ;cva1005 w/ the dvd player in the factory radio location. Im thinking of an equalizer/signal processor, is the EPX any good (i saw you replacing your cigarette holder w/ it) ? Everybody seems to use them....What exactly does it do...you can talk tech...i have an engr background....although i did bad in school

Regarding the wiring harness...isn't there a harness that plus in to the factory radio? (i haven't taken apart the car yet) the harness will have the remote turn on, power, gnd, and all those wires running into it from the car itself. What i'm wondering is if I wanted to connect the power, gnd, remote turn (of the alpine) on to the factory harness, I'd have to first cut off the factory harness (since there's no after market adapter) and splice the correct power, gnd.....cables together right?

Or did you have some alternative way of connecting your power, gnd, remote turn on from your alpine.

Sorry if I sound confusing....I haven't installed a head unit in years...Last time i did it was in highschool 5 years ago.....i could elaborate if you still don't quite understand me....
Thanks for your help
Old 07-06-01, 08:45 PM
LeXusBoy
Lead Lap

amlin423 or MG,

can u give me a link to some pics or the install or what u want to do?
Old 07-06-01, 10:20 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

lexusboy
i went to the old forum and found MG's car pics...maybe if you search there with MG's name you'll find it
There are LOTS of stuff in the old forum....just got to search for it...toook me 3 or 4 hours to go through everything....
sorry can't help...i asked for some install pics a few threads back but nobody posted. I was hoping to get some kind of an install idea on the GS.....

Old 07-06-01, 11:00 PM
LeXusBoy
Lead Lap

amlin423,

thanks again...whats the address for the old site again?
Old 07-06-01, 11:32 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

Here's the URL to the car stereo forum

http://pub42.ezboard.com/fclublexusc...inmentcaraudio

Old 07-07-01, 05:45 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Talking Maybe Quicker

LB - The last pics I have R on my friend's website under "Custon Installation". Go to www.aceaudio.net & click on that link.
Amlin - Thanks for the compliments. Yep, I just spliced into the factory ( Pioneer, in my case ) wiring harness using soldered connections for the electrical needs that U mentioned. I used a leather dye for the trim plate - took the factory head unit down to the local paint supply shop & they matched the color. BTW - that's a Metra double-DIN kit for a Ford that the Alpine components R mounted in! About the EPX-2 - one of the best & most flexible pieces of electronics around!! Go back to page 7 in this Forum to a 3-way posting between Percy, Marken ( Lexlyf ) & myself to get the details on it's features - believe it was started by Lexlyf under the heading "Hot Damn!". Also check the GS Classifieds because Erick had his for sale, complete with the 28 band EQ card - page 4.
Old 07-07-01, 11:57 AM
amlin423
Pole Position

Default gotcha...thanks!!

MG, I'm assuming your double din kit is the one for the 94-00 Mustang right?
Leather dye looks good on your trim plate...I'll probably do that too.
With the alpines and the epx i might just have the same system as you plus install (except i use xtant)
My friend is trying to get me to get the focals...not that i have anything against it
it's just that I've heard so much good stuff about the dyns...i really want to try it out..
plus...if i wanted to listen to focals...i'll just go to his car...(w/ mcintosh amps..also trying to get
me to buy it....no money no money no money)....

Anybody know how to remove the ashtray? is it just held in by clips?
Also the tweeters....do I just pull on it hard?

Thanks !

Old 07-07-01, 12:48 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Wink Never Completely Done

A - Yep, just pull out/back on the door tweets & they'll come free. No hard feelings to anyone who semi-copies my system as I see alot of the Members have my same Alpine CVA-1005/DVA-5200 DVD setup in their dash. Actually, it's kinda flattering to see it but I did have the first setup like that back in early 1999 - had to pull ALOT of string with Alpine to get the 5200 as they were backordered but my friend ( whose website the GS is on ) is one of the largest Alpine dealers in the South & he called in some favors to make it happen. Truthfully, I've thought about changing out the Focals for some Dynaudios after talking to Percy ( where R U, my friend? ) & demo'ing a set in a Houston soundroom - very warm sounding with a wider dispersion pattern than the Focals. I originally planned to compete in USAC & IASCA competitions heavily this year in hopes of amassing enough points for the World Finals ( but the wife intervened! ) & the politics of audio, being what they are, dictated the use of a more "name brand" speaker. Don't get me wrong - I love my Focals & Dyns are the ONLY speaker that I'd change for. Your friend must be Percy's long-lost brother (:eek: ) as he's a Dyn/McIntosh/Velodyne freak with probably the ultimate pure SQ GS in existance. BTW - it was a Rustang Metra kit that I used. Outta curiousity - which subs R U gonna run & how ( enclosure, amp, etc )?
Old 07-07-01, 03:08 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

Ugg...i was just going to submit reply but computer froze...
Anyways...I have a Hsu Research (heard of them?) car sub with its own cylindrical enclosure....I've had good experience with their Home theater sub that's why I got theirs...also another reason I got them is that I had a 12W6 in an enclosure i built myself but some F***ing lowlife stole my sub and my golf clubs ....good thing is they/he/she were too stupid to look in the spare tire well....my GF was offended cuz they didn't steal her snowboard boots

im thinking of the infinite baffle config but I'll need to dynamate the whole thing and make a baffle....with the HSU all I have to do is plug in and VOILA!!

Do you just pull out the ashtray like the tweeters? What did you do with the factory changer ( I also have the pioneer) I want to install my alpine 6 disc changer in there ...is it hard to take it out...it looks kinda weird....

You said "Rustang" in your last sentece you meant "mustang" Metra kit , right?

Thanks
Andrew
Old 07-07-01, 04:34 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Wink Nope - "Rustang!!"

Andrew - Well, "Rustang" is kinda a nickname we've given the Ford!! - but yes, that's the kit I'm referring to. IB is OK but sealed would be better, IMO & I've had both. Can't say I'm familiar with Hsu but it sounds ( HA-HA!! ) like a Bazooka tube to me but if U've used one before & R pleased with the results then by all means stick with what works for U. Been awhile on the ashtray but I recall just snapping it from it's original location. I removed the Pioneer changer & used an Alpine Ai-Net changer ( the 6 disc model - I think #S624 ). Doesn't fit perfectly but well enough for me for now. Should I decide to get back to competition I'll probably open up the area a little more & flush mount it. I'd really been ticked off if someone stole MY golf clubs!!:eek:
Old 07-08-01, 01:34 AM
amlin423
Pole Position

LOL...Rustang...Why didn't I get that before?

So the alpine changer would fit the stock location? hmmmm doesn't seem like it....oh well...I'll figure it out...I actually have the S605....It's the changer that the 624 replaced...but it also has AI Net capabilities ....the 605 is like 6 or maybe even 7 years old.....damn....now that im thinking about it...it's REALLY OLD.....maybe i should replace it....b4 it craps out on me....

I had the bazooka before...ummmmm....not quite the same.....i definitely like the Hsu much better...but like i said...i wanted a sub w/ an enclosure and the JL's (powerwedge?) were a bit too big for my trunk...
thanks for your help!
Old 07-08-01, 01:32 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

Oh BTW MG, (or anybody else that could help)
I just took out my stock pioneer radio and took a look at it. I can't think of a way to attach the trip panel to anything. I hope I don't have to resort to super glue!!
Does the Alpine monitor/DVD holes line up with the factory holes (the ones on the metal bracket). If not, how is the head unit going to stay "put" and not move around?