Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: To 5.1 or not?
5.1 digital surround sound - no radio, and plenty more work to do
71.43%
stick with stereo sound - have AM/FM, a LOT less wiring, and be done real soon
28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Need CL's help on making a decision... (to 5.1 DS or not)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-05, 08:38 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need CL's help on making a decision... (to 5.1 DS or not)

Okay guys... i can't make a desicion for chit right now so i figured i'd let the CL brothas and sistas make the decision.

I'm in the middle of a carputer setup (well been actually... been workin on this since feb of this year)... I can't decide if i should complete my 5.1 surround sound setup or not. I custom fit a speaker into the AC vent in the center console... looks good... pretty OEM. (i'll take pics if wanted)...

the thing is... I've got a GANG of wires and voltage hurdles to jump. I've tested it.... and while it sounds really clean... mp3's, and regular music just doesn't sound as good as it does going through regular stereo. For those that don't know... since I'm running a 5.1 DTS... the computer upmixes stereo into 5.1 (really just splits the left and right to all the speakers minus the center)... the bass isn't as controlled and I dunno... just not as clean as when i had it running through the pioneer head unit.

Now... when watching DVD's... OMG it sounds awesome... sounds like my car is THX certified. The only complaint is... my center channel sounds kinda muddy (prolly cuz it's so small... or my built-in amp isn't strong enough for it).

So really... I don't watch DVD's in my car everyday... and watching DVD's in regular stereo still sounds good (no where near as good as 5.1 surround tho).

I'd really only be doing the 5.1 for the "cool, unique" factor... and I still have a lot of work to do.

And another important thing... if I do go 5.1 ... i won't have an AM/FM radio.

there... so... vote!
Old 07-05-05, 08:44 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you aren't using a MB with 5.1 surround sound capability? I have that with my carputer setup, and it sounds awesome....
Old 07-05-05, 08:54 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

i do... but I didn't want such a big load on the CPU, and to prevent random ground noises associated with car electronics... i have a stand alone 5.1 DTS processor to decode.

the MB has a digital coax output (SPDIF) that goes to a digital coax -> toslink adapter (my current headache cuz it needs 6v to operate)

autocouture.... what center channel speaker are you using?
Old 07-05-05, 09:07 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

I'd go with the 5.1, the sound quality will be superb, and you'll be one of the few with such a setup.

I don't use AM/FM for anything anyways, so thats just my .02.
Old 07-05-05, 09:38 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

aiite... well can anyone recommend a center channel? I really like my setup now... i just don't know if it needs better amplification or if the speaker itself sucks (took it out of a 20 dollar computer speaker)

another thing to consider is that I'm really taxing my electrical system (2 air compressors, 2 amps, valve solenoid control box, DTS unit, computer, HIDs)
Old 07-07-05, 07:15 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No question in my mind, stick with 2 channel. Music always sounds better as 2 channel, unless you have a collection of 5-channel mastered stuff (DVD-audio). Upconverted music from 5 channel to 2 channel sounds phony. DVDs will sound fine in 2 channel in the enclosed space of a car. Not worth the extra work unless you have the source material to go with it.
Old 07-08-05, 08:24 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

watching DVD's in 2-channel stereo doesn't sound bad.... but jeeeez it sounds so good in 5.1

there are many many sounds that I never noticed (ambient sounds, background noises, etc...) when i watched them in my car that i never even noticed in my home theatre system! Not to mention a true feeling of being in the movie and surrounded in the scene.

But like i mentioned... how often will i really watch DVD's, while driving... I'm sure i won't be focused enough on the movie to notice the sound quality... and the bass is kinda off when listening to regular 2-channel music.

I think I might be able to make it sound better if i can find a way to EQ the stereo upmix. I currently cannot a find a way to do so.
Old 07-08-05, 10:17 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stick with 2 channel stereo - I mean c'mon, at the end of the day you're watching DVD movies on a tiny screen. No reason to waste time with 5.1 in a car! Take the extra you were going to spend and upgrade your set at home (Hi-Def TV, extra subwoofer, better home receiver, etc.). I find watching DVD's in car(mostly listening except for at stopped lights) far too distracting.

I personally wouldn't waste money for OTHER people's "wow" effect. I'm constantly trying to make the 2 channel audio sound better, not worse. After people get out of your car and say "cool, he has 5.1 in his car" you'll still be stuck with no AM/FM and worse sounding audio, plus a tiny crappy center speaker in your vents.

Just my .02...

Shawn
Old 07-08-05, 10:19 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ummagawd
watching DVD's in 2-channel stereo doesn't sound bad.... but jeeeez it sounds so good in 5.1

there are many many sounds that I never noticed (ambient sounds, background noises, etc...) when i watched them in my car that i never even noticed in my home theatre system! Not to mention a true feeling of being in the movie and surrounded in the scene.

But like i mentioned... how often will i really watch DVD's, while driving... I'm sure i won't be focused enough on the movie to notice the sound quality... and the bass is kinda off when listening to regular 2-channel music.

I think I might be able to make it sound better if i can find a way to EQ the stereo upmix. I currently cannot a find a way to do so.

Also, do you have NAV in the car? I'd highly recommend it if you don't!

Shawn