Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Lexus Navigation Info/Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-01, 10:01 AM
joeyGS430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I found the maker of my Lexus 2001 GS430 Navigation system - http://www.denso-int.com but they do not appear to offer an aftermarket version. I LOVE IT and would love to equip our Lincoln Navigator with similiar for vacations.

ANYONE KNOW OF OR RECOMMEND SIMILIAR for Lincoln Navigator (Lincoln's SUX) or even portable is fine?

ANYONE KNOW how/when our DVD disc updates are released?

FOR EVERYONE - NAV links of interest:
http://www.denso-int.com - Lexus Nav Mfg

http://www.geographic.com - supplier of Lexus Map Database

http://www.autonav2000.com/NoShock/Compare2.htm - Nav System Comparisons
Old 06-23-01, 09:34 PM
gsexploits
Driver

I would recommend the Acura aftermarket (Alpine). My wife's Honda Odyssey has the Acura NAV and it is pretty slick. I have the GS430 with NAV also and think it is awesome. The comparison shows the Alpine has the same if not a few more capabilities.

Also, something I really like on the Alpine is that you can change routes while driving. Yes, I realize this is not the most safe thing, but the Denso system as you know, locks out the address button on NAV when you are moving.

I find that I don't always rely on NAV when I first start the trip, but find myself asking for a route while driving. Also, the Alpine is DVD based like our is, with updates available annually for about $150 from Alpine.

I also like the Alpine's button layout with the mouse like button being pretty cool (actually a bit easier to use than ours). Just my 2c.
Old 06-24-01, 10:55 AM
LS007
Lead Lap

The new Lexus navigation system beats out the Honda/Acura navigation system. My wife has the Honda/Alpine system and I've tested the new Lexus LS430. I really like the feature that show the country flags for each restaurant location. It makes it easy to identify ethnicity food served. It can even be displayed when you say "restaurants".

For those owners of the newer Lexus navigation system:

How large is the speech recognition vocabulary for the newer Lexus navigation voice recognition?

I recall a message saying a "red wire" can be temporarily disconnected to allow destination input while vehicle is in motion. Can anyone confirm this? Does this wire disconnect the speed sense circuit (gyro) and does it cause a location error when reconnected?
Old 06-24-01, 11:51 AM
gsnav
Lead Lap

The voice navigation has enough of voice activated commands, in our LS430. There is stuff like zoom out, zoom in, go home, heads up display, north up display, cancel, and just basic commands not like to reprogram a route, but there is detour i think. THere are like over 60 commands, that i think i'll never use.

GsNav@clublexus.com
Old 06-25-01, 01:51 PM
gsexploits
Driver

I agree that the Lexus NAV beats out the Acura/Alpine NAV. However, in an aftermarket world (as JoeyGS430 is looking), Denso is not available direct as I understand it, so IMO the Acura/Alpine is the next best system.
Old 07-10-01, 01:34 PM
GS430_4Me
Rookie

Anyone know when the updated DVD is due? Two dealers & a factory rep. were unable to tell me.

Also, the link posted above:

http://www.geographic.com

didn't connect for me. Am I stuck with a system that will lead me to non-existant restaurants, ATM's gas stations, etc. in a year or so?
Old 07-13-01, 12:02 PM
Eric Holdaway
Driver School Candidate

The New Alpine DVD Nav - NVE-852e, I think it's called, Kicks butt!

It has the Icons for the POI's now and is VERY Fast. It has coverage for entire US, and almost 5 million business names, address and phone numbers. Very cool piece of work. The new remote control for it is awesome too.

I can give you pricing if you would like to email me or call.