Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Haunted radio !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-01, 04:36 PM
spinedoc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the oddest problem with my radio. At random the radio will suddenly drop down in volume, so low that you can barely hear it even if you crank the volume. It is very odd, and at first came if I took a corner too fast. But lately it randomly shuts off and on like this even if Im just sitting at a stand still.

Im guessing pre-amp or amp (it is 100% factory). What do you guys think? How can I test these in the factory system?

Thanks much.
Old 06-22-01, 05:29 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by xsuperjoex

ASL (audio sound levelizer) ON

It's (AUTO sound levelizer) not audio sound levelizer
Old 06-22-01, 11:29 AM
spinedoc
Rookie

Default huh?

Can you elaborate? Thanx
Old 06-22-01, 04:22 PM
spinedoc
Rookie

Unhappy OK...

OK, can anyone tell me if my 1994 ES300 has any FACTORY external amplifiers, or only the built in amp of the head unit?

It is a premium sound system, all stock, with the CD changer.

Im trying to narrow this down to the radio, or an external factory amp. If there is no amp I will just buy a new head unit off Ebay.

Also, what other years, and models Lexus head units fit my ES? I know the SC head units look exactly like the ES ones of these years.

Thanx. By the way, anyone home? It seems there are not a lot of helpful people on this forum, but a lot of lurkers.

Old 06-22-01, 07:20 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Default Forum

Spinedoc -

I don't have an answer to your stereo question, but I agree with your "lurker" comment. When I had a Corvette and posted on on the Corvette forum, I would have a whole bunch of replies and comments within a short period of time. I noticed when I posted an inquiry on this forum, the responses are far and few.
Old 06-22-01, 11:25 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry "Lurker" Comments!

In my personal defense as a moderator of this Forum, I only offer advice on those questions to which I'm reasonably sure of the answer. I've never worked on any Lexus other than a GS model so I don't have enough experience with the ES; LS or SC models to venture an opinion as to speaker sizes; amp locations, etc. I'm also not a professional installer so perhaps some other members with those models will jump in with their experiences? As far as the Corvette goes ( of which I've also owned one ), for years it was only offered with the Delco radio system so it was easy to solve those audio problems as everyone was running the same factory setup.
Old 06-22-01, 11:33 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Default Lurker comments

Sorry, Mean Gene, I didn't intend my observation to be a specific statement to you not responding. My comment was only a general observation about the amount of responses from users of the forum as a whole, and intended absolutely no reflection of the moderators, who I admire for the time they spend trying to help the users of the forum.

Actually, the querys I had on the Corvette forum were pertaining to things other than than the stereo system. The first thing I did when buying my Corvette was to completely replace the system with a aftermarket system as I considered it to be nowhere near the quality of the system in my Lexus.

Old 06-23-01, 05:09 AM
spinedoc
Rookie

Default oops

I hope I didnt make anyone believe that I was complaining. Im just used to the Mercedes board where everyone gets involved. I think people on this board are a little shy, thats all. But it is the best board for Lexus, thats for sure.

Gene, and others...OK after a couple of day of this intermittent stuff, now the radio does it 100% of the time. The radio display lights up fine, but very very little sound comes out of the speakers. I have to turn it up all the way to get a tiny bit of sound.
Old 06-23-01, 10:56 AM
spinedoc
Rookie

Default hmm

Not a problem that needs a rocket scientist, but if anyone is curious...I found a big water puddle around the amp (under the passenger seat). Monday I am replacing it with a nice 75 X 4 Alpine amp which will be mounted in the trunk.

Thanx
Old 06-24-01, 11:15 AM
LeXusBoy
Lead Lap

spinedoc,

Do you know what the water is from?
Old 06-25-01, 06:27 PM
spinedoc
Rookie

I havent the slightest idea where the water is coming from. Either I left the window cracked last week when it rained, or I have a leak somewhere. When I get a chance I will have someone hose down the car while I am inside to see if I can spot it.

Car sounds great now that it is out of the sound shop =)
Old 10-29-01, 04:42 PM
Njdrew114
Driver School Candidate

Default looking

I will be reciving my first Lexus. Its an ES 300 92'. Kinda old but whatever. The original radio was defective and the owner placed a new one in and to tell you the truth its garbage. Does anyone know where I can find a 92' ES 300 radio head? I am also looking for a remote key. Thanks SOOOO much.!!!!!!!!!

DRU
Old 03-15-05, 10:33 PM
handywam
Driver School Candidate

Default Haunted Radio

I also had a haunted radio. The volume **** was missing. The radio was alway on but could not be heard at start up. The volume would slowly increase. After about an hour of driving the volume would reach normal listening level.

I determined it was due to damage to the Volume control.
Someone took the Volume **** off of the vehicle. The shaft was pushed into the unit and It had ripped away from the Circuit Board inside.

I wonder if you have a similar problem relating to the connection of the volume comtrol to the circuit board. The factory repair is to replace the radio. But if you are inclined the radio can be removed and the volume control can be rewired replacing the Flex cable with wires and soldering it to the Circuit Board.
Old 03-16-05, 01:08 PM
omaha_lex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by handywam
I also had a haunted radio. The volume **** was missing. The radio was alway on but could not be heard at start up. The volume would slowly increase. After about an hour of driving the volume would reach normal listening level.

I determined it was due to damage to the Volume control.
Someone took the Volume **** off of the vehicle. The shaft was pushed into the unit and It had ripped away from the Circuit Board inside.

I wonder if you have a similar problem relating to the connection of the volume comtrol to the circuit board. The factory repair is to replace the radio. But if you are inclined the radio can be removed and the volume control can be rewired replacing the Flex cable with wires and soldering it to the Circuit Board.
sorry to rain on your parade, but this thread is 3 1/2 years old.
Old 03-17-05, 08:42 PM
handywam
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

Just thought the info might be helpful to someone down the line.

Quick Reply: Haunted radio !!