2001 GS430 Mark Levinson Speaker Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-05, 11:28 AM
tuanntran
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 GS430 Mark Levinson Speaker Upgrade

I have a 2001 GS430 and I need to know a few things about the Mark Levinson

1) How many channels are on the ML amp, considering that the GS430 ML have a left, right, center, rear left, rear right, and subwoofer speakers?

2) What ohm impedance can the ML amp run?

3) What is the power rating of the ML amp?

3) What is the ohm on the stock speakers and woofers?

4) How are each speakers in the ML system crossed? Does the amp have a crossover or does each speaker have a cheap inline xover?

I need these questions answered because I want to upgrade all the speakers to Dynaudio without having to change out the amp. I understand that all the Dynaudio speakers are 4 ohm with the exception of of the MD330 and MD140, which are 8 ohm.
Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-15-06, 07:27 PM
TeflonGS
Driver

I would like to know this as well. *bump*
Old 07-16-06, 10:29 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here are SOME of the answers.

http://marklevinsonlexus.com/overview.asp?model=gs

The xover is more than likely a cheapo inline...unless they did some xover processing with the DSP. In either case, no real worries about the xover. The Dyns will run a much lower xover point than the stock ML system...it's a much better tweeter and very beefy. (If I could use that term for a tweeter.)

Unfortunately the ML site doesn't list any REAL specs. It's ALOT of marketing fluff. Glad you're trying out the Dyn swapout...something that I wanted to do. Think you will be QUITE pleased. Betting that the soundstage will get MUCH wider...and with much more detail.

Percy
Old 07-16-06, 12:26 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

mark levinson speakers are low watt and generraly 8 ohms on doors and 9 to 16 owhms on the subwoofer . i dont think there are any aftermarket speakers to match those numbers........................ mixing factory and aftermarket sound components is not advisable. aftermarket is all high watt low effiiency speakers in the hundreds of watts . factory speakers are low watt high efficeincy speakers. tuned to interior . the mark levinson amp cannot push an 4 ohm 300 watt aftermarket speakers. mark levinson speakers are 8 ohms 30 to 40 watt on the door speakers and 16 ohms and 80 watts on the subwoofers. this infomation can be obtained in your models service manual under the diagnosic section on testing the audio system. it gives the ohm rating that should be obtained during the test thereby revealing the unusual ohm rating.
The following users liked this post:
LSUGS430 (09-03-22)
Old 07-17-06, 06:48 AM
TeflonGS
Driver

So, it looks like I gotta change out everything. We are looking at some serious dollars.
Old 07-17-06, 07:28 AM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the signal coming to the amp is just left and right channel . so you can tap the left and right channel wires and send this to an aftemarket amp and have aftermarket speakers and subwoofers connected to the aftermarket amp. this lets you keep your factory system but have an aftermarket amp and speakers if you want to rattle some windows when you come down the street. i know nothing about the best aftermarket system but i know you dont have to scrub your factory system to put an aftermarket amp to work in conjunction with the factory system. PERRYLA is the aftermarket expert on this forum.he wrote a book on converting lexus to aftermarket audio. i refer everyone to him for advice on aftermarket systems. i am only an expert on the factory lexus audio and navigation systems not aftermarket.

Last edited by lexusaudio; 07-17-06 at 07:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LSUGS430 (09-03-22)
Old 07-17-06, 11:24 AM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexusaudio
the signal coming to the amp is just left and right channel . so you can tap the left and right channel wires and send this to an aftemarket amp and have aftermarket speakers and subwoofers connected to the aftermarket amp. this lets you keep your factory system but have an aftermarket amp and speakers if you want to rattle some windows when you come down the street. i know nothing about the best aftermarket system but i know you dont have to scrub your factory system to put an aftermarket amp to work in conjunction with the factory system. PERRYLA is the aftermarket expert on this forum.he wrote a book on converting lexus to aftermarket audio. i refer everyone to him for advice on aftermarket systems. i am only an expert on the factory lexus audio and navigation systems not aftermarket.
Where do you tap the stereo signal (left/right) from? Is this on the amp (before amplification) itself or do you need to go behind the factory radio?

BTW, I have an ML on an LS430 2001 Model year.

Thanks
Mike
Old 07-17-06, 06:23 PM
TeflonGS
Driver

I want to go DVD, also. So, I will have to scrap the factory headunit. The problem is I want to keep the surround sound setup using the center channel, but is hard to find a 5.1 amp with enough power. Any suggestions?