Sponsored by:

cell phone cable

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-01, 04:56 AM
spinedoc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I was messing around in my trunk today and found what appears to be a BNC connector in my trunk, close to the car antenna. I am assuming this is for the cell phone option.

I would like to connect this to my phone using an aftermarket adaptor, this would save me the trouble of leading a cable from the front to the trunk of the car.

Does anyone know where I could begin to look for the front end of this cable? Do I need to pull the console off? Or would it be under the shift console portion? Maybe some of you guys with the cell phone option can take a peek for me.

Thanx
Old 06-18-01, 05:29 AM
epstns
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Hey, Spinedoc:
If that cable you found is up inside the driver's side rear quarter, it may be the "free" end of a cable for an in-glass cell antenna. Not sure what year your car is, but on my 95 and 98, the cable was just taped up inside the trunk. The connector wasn't a BNC, though, it was a mini-uhf connector. I just went to Radio Shack and bought more coaxial cable and some connectors, and extended the cable into the console. Then it was a piece of cake to connect to the cell phone kit and voila, stealth phone.

I'm considering the same treatment for my '01 LS430, but this time the cable is on the right side, and I'm not so sure I want to tear apart the inner trunk panels of a new LS.

HTH
SteveE
Old 06-18-01, 06:13 AM
spinedoc
Rookie

Default ...

The cable is actually taped up on the passenger side of the trunk, right next to the antenna wiring. I havent had a chance to take a really really good look, but it looks like it goes into the cabin itself.

If you get a chance take a peek at the right trunk of your ES and see if there is a free BNC (or at least looks like a BNC) taped up next to the antenna.

I dont have a problem installing the cable, but since Im lazy I figured maybe I could shortcut with this cable, heh.

My main question is, if it does go into the cabin, where does it exit? Im assuming under the center console or somewhere behind the radio unit. Anyone know?

Thanx