Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Sub Recommendations..

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-01, 06:54 PM
vj604
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, ive got a cheap setup. ...stock amp, wired to a kenwood kac 728s..300 x1, 600 W max amp...that goes out to two JBL 10's in a dual bandpass box.

all this, plus the matting in the trunk is too much weight...i m not crazy about replacing the amp right now..i think its powerful enough and i got it real cheap. but ...can i go with a single sub in a closed box, or ported box? i was thinking a solobaric or something...i dont want any bigger than 10" cuz of the music i listen too..no rap here, just lots of house, trance, mixed in with chill music like sublime and stuff...

another question...how much LESS powerful is one kicker gonna be than the 2 10's i have now? will it be significantly less booming? i like it the way it is now, tho if i turn up the amp settings to max, like 1.0, the cd player will skip on certain tracks with the correct resonance frequencies...any other suggestions? im not prepared to spend 1200 on the velodyne...gotta keep this significantly reasonable...

another thing is, i need my trunk space back..the dual bandpass is HUGE..and heavy too.
thanks

VJ
Old 06-18-01, 07:33 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Options

VJ - Try a single JL Audio 10", either an IBU-4 infinite baffle ( free-air ) or a 10W-3 in a small sealed enclosure. Both will add minimal weight ( obviously the enclosure-less IB is the leanest ). The Kenwood amp will work fine for the IB as it's an 8 ohm speaker - just watch the impedance on the W3 if ya go that way ( 600 watts thru it is pushing it & I speak from experience!! ). A bandpass box is designed to play only a certain narrow frequency range so they R VERY loud ( & muddy, IMO ). These recommendations R based on your tastes in music & there R other good subs out there ( Boston Acoustics, Fosgate, etc ). Kicker hits hard but requires alot of power ( which it seems U have with the Kenwood ). They aren't the tightest sub I've ever heard either but will reproduce SPL well. Just stay away from the L-7 - seen alot of those come back to my friend's shop blown. Must be an assembly problem that Kicker will correct one day.
Old 06-18-01, 05:55 PM
vj604
Driver

well..thanks for the suggestions. i am not looking for an infinite baffle sub..i want something in an enclosure, not sure what type , ported or sealed. i want something that will sound good. quality is 100x more important than thinmping distorted bass ruining all the other parts of the music. what would be your best suggestion? no bigger than 10". go with the JL?
Old 06-19-01, 08:02 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up SQ

VJ - If SQ is #1 for ya, then a small sealed enclosure is the ticket ( ported will give U 3 dB more but at the expense of being a little muddy ). If ya don't want to step up to the ultimate SQ woofer ( Percy's Velodynes ), I'm partial to JL because of past experience with them & their efficiency, plus they will make some SPL when U ask them to. Don't think there aren't other good SQ woofers out there - consider a/d/s; Boston Acoustics; Diamond Audio's new woofers & even Focal ( but those R pricey!!:eek: ). Happy hunting & be looking for some pics when it's all done!
Old 07-01-01, 03:26 PM
vj604
Driver

,y amp is the 728-s....what impedance woofer am i looking at finding? im using only one...are there 2 ohm woofers that i can use, the JL w3 is 6 ohm from whati gather...unless i wire in parallel or something...
Old 07-01-01, 05:46 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up JL Subs

VJ - Not too clear on your JL info. The W6 series has dual 6 ohm voice coils which U can parallel down to a single 3 ohm load. U can get the W3 series woofers in either a 2, 4 or 6 ohm impedance ( SVC ). From what I recall of the 728s, it makes 300 wrms into a 4 ohm load & is 2 ohm stable ( at which load it would make 600 wrms - in theory; actually closer to 450-500, IME with Kenwood amps ). If you're worried about the amp S/D in thermal protection mode, just match the amp ( bridged into a 4 ohm load ) onto a 10W3-D4 ( rated for 100-250 wrms ) & will handle 300-350 watts peak. If ya want to play a little, get a 10W6 & experiment with the voice coils & amp channels to find what works best for ya - more flexibility here.
Old 07-04-01, 02:23 AM
Jabroni31169
Driver School Candidate

Orion XTR DVC's or if you wanna spend the money Orion HCCA DVC's