Sponsored by:

Enhancing the Subwoofer on the SC430

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-01, 01:48 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

The Mark Levinson stereo system is great. The only shortcoming I see is the lack of low bass. I was talking with some shops here who are suggesting putting an amp on the 8" sub, and even perhaps replacling the 8: sub with a JL Audio 8" or 10" sub.

Another comment made by a vendor is that the speakers in the Mark Levinson system are set "out of phase", and that reduces the bass response. He said by switching 2 wires on the amp, the system would sound much better.

Has anyone had any experience with enhancing the subs or with changing the out of phase condition? Was there any good or bad results? Any opinions about whether I shouldn't mess with the stock system?

Would greatly appreciate any info out there...
Old 06-08-01, 04:38 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Default Subwoofer enhancement

Still waiting for any feedback from anyone whos done any enhancements or knows of someone who did.

Right now they are taking measurements on the output of the system. Probably will put in an Xtant amp to drive the subwoofer (which will be a JL Audio speaker) with a separate volume control just for the subwoofer. The rest of the system will remain completely intact because it sounds great!

Any comments or info? I would appreciate some feedback on this.
Old 06-08-01, 07:46 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know about the out of phase thing, with my subs they were out of phase at first and then they were much better when fixed, but this may not be the case for you because with me i think it was about the 2 subs hitting at the same time in the bandpass box and stuff
Old 06-08-01, 09:53 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had experience with reversing phases on speakers. You get to mess around with lots of settings, especially when you have a McIntosh equipped system and it's associated controller. Every change is "on the fly" and you hear immediate results.

The sub may or may not sound better if the phase is reversed. IMO, it's set fine. You're probably not used to the level of bass in the car. But, listen to it with the wires reversed and see what you think.

I actually have two of my speakers running in reverse and that's the rear two door speakers. Reason for this...much more depth in the soundstage. Works like a champ. Everything else is running at normal phase.

Percy
Old 06-08-01, 11:56 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Default Out of phase

I'm thinking right now that the mids and the highs sound so good in the system as it is, I probably won't mess with it. If I can push the rear sub with an amp, I can get the needed additional low bass. With the existing excellent mids/highs, it probably will sound better than the $5000 system I installed on my Corvette (which I no longer own). I had to completely re-do the system in the Vette, as the Bose system that came with the car just wasn't cutting it. Not so with the Mark Levinson system that came with the Lexus, which was surprisingly good.

Lexus Rules, you were referring to the two subs - was that the speakers in the doors, or did you install an additional sub in the back?
Old 06-19-01, 03:25 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Talking Friday will be the day

This Friday, I will be having a 8" JL Audio with an Extant amp installed where the Mark Levinson sub used to be. I will post an update after that.
Old 06-22-01, 11:40 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Cool Replaced the subwoofer

I just came back from the shop where they replaced my subwoofer and added an amp. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The system has now just what it needed.

They installed an Xtant amp with a 8" JL Audio free air sub. The speaker went right into the existing hole with no need to drill or cut to make it fit. There was room for the amp right next to the existing amp as if they intended to have another amp there.

They put a sub volume control in the center console glove box right above the extra power source. I would recommend this setup to anyone who has a SC 430 and just needs the extra "oomph" in the bass.
Old 06-08-06, 12:36 AM
ydlee24
Driver School Candidate

Do happen to know the model number of the JL Audio Free Air Sub?
Old 06-08-06, 11:14 AM
RodF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ydlee24
Do happen to know the model number of the JL Audio Free Air Sub?
It's been a while since the install. I tried to look for the box, but I couldn't locate it. Sorry.
Old 06-09-06, 10:56 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

its probally an IB8 sub which is discontinued from JL. I put a Image Dynamics ID8 v3 D4 in mine and it sounded great. It is getting reconed right now at image dynamics but when it gets back you can buy it off me if you want. I did an extensive write up on it in the sc430 forum, just do a search for bass anyways its a great sub and they are just about sold out everywhere. shoot me an email at tonydt1g3r@aol.com or IM me if your interested.
Old 06-09-06, 11:08 AM
Mixman
Pole Position

I want to do the same thing to my 06 GS300. I want to add a sub and an amp for a little more ooomph.

I too came from a C5 which I ripped out that Bose crap as soon as I had a chance. I had a pretty good system in there.....Alpine HU, PG Titanium amps (1500watts), Adire comps and an Adire Brahma sub, but I have to admit I think the ML system is more seemless, does a better image. The only thing it lacks is a little *****, which I hope to give it by adding this Arc Audio 10" sub I have and an amp.