Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Percy, Gene, or Woody...about the baffles...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-01, 04:36 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a bit of exploratory surgery today... I looked at the stock speaker holders.. I never realized how freakin small 4.5" speakers are!!! Anyway, I have a question about what to do about the stock housing... after I fashion the shape of the 1/2" baffles to the shape of the stock housing, do I attach them to the back part of the stock housing (removing the part with the speaker)... or do I have to fabricate a new speaker box? If I keep the back part, how do I attach the baffles to it? I know this is supposed to be somewhat watertight since I noticed that water comes down there when it rains... and airtight to prevent cancellation... Please help... Thank you again! Oh by the way, I want to get your opinion on what color to get for a new RX... we will get one next week.. we have a choice of Woodland Pearl and Blue Vapor Metallic... I posted in the GS forum... I'd like to get your $.02 on this! Thanks!

~Manny (aka infinite007/babygs3)
Old 03-01-01, 12:08 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb

Manny,

Just use some pipe strapping (metal strip 1/2 inch wide with holes every 1/2 inch) that can be found at your local hardware store. What you do is to attach part of the strapping to the baffle (on baffle face) and the other part to the stock bolt location. Use the stock bolts (gold colored) for the stock locations and some 1/2 inch wood screws for the baffle locations.

For sealing, just use some strip caulk. Works great.

Percy
Old 03-01-01, 03:48 PM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Question to cover the back part...

I get how to attach the baffles to the body...but I'm wondering what it is that closes the back part of th baffles? What do you use to cover the back part... to make a "sealed enclusure"... (I'm supposing that the speaker is not exposed in the back? do you use the (back part of the)stock housing and remove the front part with the speaker? If so, the housing's screw things stick out and wouldnt allow a seal... so do I drill a hole in the baffle and attach the back it to the back part of the housing? basically,I'm just replacing the front face of the stock housing (the one that holds the speaker... (in this description) Basically what I'm asking is.. I got the baffle, what do I use to cover the back part of the speaker? Thanks P...

Last edited by babyGS3; 03-01-01 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-01-01, 04:19 PM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Default pics of what i'm wondering about

is the back of the speaker open to the inside of the door? or did you build a housing similar to that of the stock one? if it is open, I'm worried because my speaker housing had moisture when I took it out... and I dont want my speakers getting wet!
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-01, 04:20 PM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Default other pics..

what's behind the baffle here? is that open to the back of the door? is that the bar I see?
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-01, 09:14 PM
Percy

I wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as the speakers are plastic, they should be fine. The rear of the speaker baffle is left open on purpose. This is to allow the proper amount of air space required for the speaker to reproduce midbass. Too small of an enclosure and you'll have all mids, no midbass or bass. It's similar to subwoofer space volume...too little air space will cut the sound quality/quantity by ALOT!

The red stuff behind the speaker opening is a polymer panel called Deflex. Helps control the backwave of the speaker and reduces the "tin can/echo" sound.

Percy
Old 03-02-01, 02:17 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Sealed Speakers

Manny - I tried to do a fully sealed enclosure on my 6.5" in the front doors but there wasn't enough room ( depth ). Besides, as P says, it would be ALOT of trial & error to get the correct amount of airspace needed to get them to sound right. Even Focal couldn't help me - they said that the PolyKevlars, when used in the doors, were designed to be in a free-air configuration. Wasn't there some plastic sheeting behind the door panels? I re-used that to act as a rain-deflector in case the doors leaked but at my last teardown, every thing was dry. Be sure & use the Deflex unless U like the echo-chamber effect!!
Old 03-03-01, 01:37 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

I was wondering why my doors were wet back there? anywho...I will go ahead and do the stuff next week... thank you... again! About the deflex, do you just put it in back of the speaker or in the whole door? How do you get it through the whole door?

~manny

Last edited by babyGS3; 03-03-01 at 02:50 AM.
Old 03-03-01, 08:26 AM
Percy

Manny,

Just the area that's about the size of the speaker. You'll have to cut the Deflex sheet diagonally so that you have one part above the bar and one part below. Just use some superglue and it'll work out well.

Percy
Old 03-03-01, 09:34 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Thanks MastahP,

I'll be starting soon... now that I have experience with the teardown...

~manny