Sponsored by:

Still alive...weekend fun begins

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-01, 08:11 PM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hey Percy....I know I havent been around much keeping you up to date with the velos and everything. Fact is, they are still sitting right here. I guess things jsut cant get installed by themselves when you get sent to who knows where for work. Well, now im gladly home for a sustained amount of time, and have dyns ready to go also. Now i have 2 questions. Has anyone thought about scanning their tracing of the baffle to make a standard for everyone to use for the dyns? Secondly...did we say we needed a spacer ring for the rears? I thought we said no, but I cant remember. In any case, hope eveyrone is doing well with their car, and I hope to be back on here some more. I also had the opportunity to meet someone who has done extensive work with a lot of brands of all kinds of audio equipment. I am glad I was able to talk to him and have an even more elevated respect for the dyns. In any case...Thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-01, 06:43 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Themi,

Tracing the baffle? Now THAT is a good idea! So simple that I'm surprised nobody else has thought of it. Since mine are already mounted in with caulk sealant, it's going to be hard to trace!

The rear speakers won't need a spacer ring. You'll have plenty of room.

Nice to know that the worlds best subs are sitting around collecting dust. Don't worry...my C90 is doing that too in the basement as I haven't had the time to work on the ribbon walnut faceplate venner. I remember having my Vel sit around for a couple of months before I got the gumption to install it. (This was for the old GP install)

Ahh heck...what are we waiting for? Time to drag out some pizza, pepsi, tools....

Percy
Old 05-21-01, 09:56 AM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Ok..so anyone else have then still in a way (not sealed yet) where the front and rear baffles could be traced?

On another note...I started looking at the tweeter for the dyns....How did you remove the housing in order to get it to fit in that space? I guess on the same note, how did you mount it in the stock space after having taken out the housing? Thanks again...cant wait!

Themi
Old 05-21-01, 10:44 AM
Percy

Themi,

Look at the rear of the tweeter. You'll see a mounting stem...this is removable as it just unscrews. Remove the grill from the tweeter also and the main unit will pop out. Now here's the tricky part...you'll have to split the tweeter (it's in halves, upper and lower) CAREFULLY. This is so that you can remove the tinsel wires from the main connectors. (Desolder) Now the package is small enough to fit in the a pillars. I had to use some industrial strength double sided foam adhesive (and some trial and error) to get the factory look.

The newer MD100's have their magnet assemblies already glued to the upper assembly that contains the coil/tweeter dome. Some of the older ones may not. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL when going through these steps!

Sounds like a bit of hassle, but it's WELL WORTH THE EFFORT. Otherwise I would have to go with MBQ (YUCK) tweets in the stock locations due to their small size...but my ears would be aching from the MBQ experience.

Percy
Old 05-26-01, 02:32 PM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Default wiring rear door

Is it me, or does is it a real pain to get the speaker wire down from the door , down to where we can run the wires under the rear seats. I'm referring to running the wire down from where the speaker wire goes into the car from the door, and then down. Any suggestions? no luck so far and its not like i have a snake laying around somewhere. Thanks!
Old 05-26-01, 04:52 PM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Default FORGET IT! I GOT IT

Sorry for that last post...im a little slow today...or maybe just being too cautious. Any case, Ill have all baffles done and speaker wire run to the back by tomorrow. Im waiting for some other power accessories and that will get done next friday. Cant wait. The velos have to wait on me deciding on and prob just buying the damn brax. oh well.. thanks again!
Old 05-26-01, 05:40 PM
Percy

Themi,

I know how you feel. I had to run the equivalent of 4 guage speaker wire for each driver that I'm using. Barely fit and really pushed things to the limit. Took a day for me to run all the wire. No snake either, just some good leverage and a sore back!

Percy