Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Vais Tech and Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-05, 05:28 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its been about 20 mins since activation and here is how I feel. the installer chose to install as a md changer and it works fine. you get the benefit of track and station info as the pic posted earlier stated. I see no easy way to key in the number '0' though. YOU MUST READ THE INSTRUCTIONS in order to get the display that works best for you. also there is a routine to see signal strength. my install has an issue regarding grounding so I get some noise when the engine is accelerated. I hope there is a fix for this. I will ask eugene when I email him later. this setup is better than any roady solution. in my opinion it is worth the money. anyone who can tell me how to easily input the character '0'I would really appreciate it. by the way the antenna is installed inside my rear window and it works fine. oh and occasionally 'md check' comes on the screen and then goes away.
Old 02-14-05, 06:26 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by digital_b
its been about 20 mins since activation and here is how I feel. the installer chose to install as a md changer and it works fine. you get the benefit of track and station info as the pic posted earlier stated. I see no easy way to key in the number '0' though. YOU MUST READ THE INSTRUCTIONS in order to get the display that works best for you. also there is a routine to see signal strength. my install has an issue regarding grounding so I get some noise when the engine is accelerated. I hope there is a fix for this. I will ask eugene when I email him later. this setup is better than any roady solution. in my opinion it is worth the money. anyone who can tell me how to easily input the character '0'I would really appreciate it. by the way the antenna is installed inside my rear window and it works fine. oh and occasionally 'md check' comes on the screen and then goes away.

I think "10" corresponds to 0 from what I have been researching. If you do not have 10 on your screen.....Sorry (my $0.02)
Old 02-14-05, 08:04 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

ok following my own advice I read the manual after the wife and cat went to bed and discovered that there are 8 different display modes. I dont remember which one I used but the instructions say that when you can program chans 23,81,123 then you have the display you should use. the md changer mode is reminisent of my 04 tl display which was also integrated into a nav system. in this current display mode the '10' is the '0'. also I can now go up 1 station at a time using the up/down arrows on my steering wheel which is great. the text display gives more characters than the oem xm addon in the current ls. and my antenna is mounted inside on the parcel shelf and it works through the tinted rear window. the real test for that is if it will work thru the power sun shade which would be sweet. now theres only killing the grounding issue. also some [blurry] pics. I will take better ones soon.
Attached Thumbnails Vais Tech and Satellite Radio-antenna-inside.jpg  
Old 02-14-05, 08:05 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

input display
Attached Thumbnails Vais Tech and Satellite Radio-display.jpg  
Old 02-14-05, 08:06 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

the info screen
Attached Thumbnails Vais Tech and Satellite Radio-text.jpg  
Old 02-14-05, 08:57 PM
cab2u
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same grounding issue. I get a low hum/buzz that the Mike at Vaistech said is a grounding issue with my XM. He gave me a quick fix to try. He said take the ground wire from the XM commander and attach it to one of the RCA's. I will try it this weekend. Regarding the MD 1 Check, I believe that has been removed from the newer units.
Old 02-14-05, 11:21 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

only problem is eugene sent me a new unit that I received last thursday.
Old 02-15-05, 02:49 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait for Sirius Radio!
Old 02-15-05, 04:07 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sirius Radio

Originally Posted by looknow12

Can't wait for Sirius Radio!
Looknow.....

You may have a long wait. Eugene just told me that they haven't come to an agreement with Sirius.

~ Cap
Old 02-15-05, 11:55 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cab2u
I have the same grounding issue. I get a low hum/buzz that the Mike at Vaistech said is a grounding issue with my XM. He gave me a quick fix to try. He said take the ground wire from the XM commander and attach it to one of the RCA's. I will try it this weekend. Regarding the MD 1 Check, I believe that has been removed from the newer units.

xm commander or xm direct tuner? they are very different things and the tuner is what I have.
Old 02-16-05, 05:04 AM
cab2u
Driver School Candidate

I am using the XM commander only because I already had it. How are they really different? If the direct tuner is better, I will get it.
Old 02-19-05, 04:34 PM
kabrera
Driver School Candidate

Default MD changer

Which models support the MD Changer input?
Old 02-19-05, 11:56 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

my car which is an 01 isnt supposed to according to eugene but it does. I am going to have to have my tuner taken out so I can get the solder issues taken care of. it seem to me that vaistech could save a step by buying some tuners and modding them and including them with the aic.
Old 02-20-05, 07:07 AM
kabrera
Driver School Candidate

how about the GS430's?
Old 02-20-05, 09:06 AM
cab2u
Driver School Candidate

Regarding the low hum/buzz noise, I spoke to the tech at Vaistech. Since I last spoke to him he gave me another solution. If you ground the XM unit (you must make sure you use the bottom of the mounting hole which is unpainted) to a good ground to the body of the car it should fix the noise. I did it and it worked.

Quick Reply: Vais Tech and Satellite Radio