Vais Tech and Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-05, 03:31 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sirius Antenna

Originally Posted by looknow12

Exactly. If that's the rear tailgate in your picture, yes.
Looknow.....

I have an aftermarket Spoiler, therefore the OEM third stop light is disconnected on the GX. I am thinking of going thru the roof with the antenna wire thru the stop light assembly. I will have to make a notch on the plastic lens to accommodate the antenna wire.

For the Sirius controller I am having a custom-made mount made, which will replace the Sun Glass pocket in the ceiling console.

I will post pictures when all is done.

~ Cap
Old 01-13-05, 03:34 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato
Looknow.....

I have an aftermarket Spoiler, therefore the OEM third stop light is disconnected on the GX. I am thinking of going thru the roof with the antenna wire thru the stop light assembly. I will have to make a notch on the plastic lens to accommodate the antenna wire.

For the Sirius controller I am having a custom-made mount made, which will replace the Sun Glass pocket in the ceiling console.

~ Cap
Sounds very cool. I just did a very basic front end install where the unit hovers over the suspension dial. I'm waiting for Vais Tech to release their controller and then I am definitely going to get that.
Old 01-13-05, 10:32 AM
FlintRX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been waiting (patiently) for a few months now for VAIS to have an adapter ready for an RX, but every time I e-mail or check the website, the dates keep getting pushed back. Very frustrating.
Old 01-13-05, 02:16 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default V A I S

Originally Posted by FlintRX

I've been waiting (patiently) for a few months now for VAIS to have an adapter ready for an RX, but every time I e-mail or check the website, the dates keep getting pushed back. Very frustrating.
Flint.....

Do you or anybody else, have any idea what it will cost to buy and have the VAIS system installed on your RX or GX ??

~ Cap
Old 01-13-05, 05:34 PM
FlintRX
Rookie

Flint.....

Do you or anybody else, have any idea what it will cost to buy and have the VAIS system installed on your RX or GX ??

~ Cap
Well, the AIC-100 (which is what I'm waiting for) will be just shy of $300, and I plan to install it myself. I'm planning to use one of those portable Sirius controllers, so I'll just install both at the same time.
Old 01-13-05, 07:36 PM
Capirato
Racer

Well, the AIC-100 (which is what I'm waiting for) will be just shy of $300, and I plan to install it myself. I'm planning to use one of those portable Sirius controllers, so I'll just install both at the same time.
Flint.....

From what I read, that $300 system won't do anymore for you than a $15 cassette converter. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

~ Cap
Old 01-13-05, 07:44 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default A I C - 100

Flint.....

From what I read, that $300 system won't do anymore for you than a $15 cassette converter. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

~ Cap
Here is the wiring diagram.

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Vais Tech and Satellite Radio-aic-100.gif  
Old 01-14-05, 09:22 AM
FlintRX
Rookie

Flint.....

~ Cap
The post above pretty much corrected you. The AIC-100 uses line-level (RCA) inputs that connect directly to the preamp of the head unit. It's about as good as it gets for car audio connectivity, and a much cleaner signal path than the tape adapter or FM Modulation.
Old 01-14-05, 09:28 AM
Capirato
Racer

a much cleaner signal path than the tape adapter.
How much cleaner, I wonder ??

~ Cap
Old 01-14-05, 09:49 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm mostly interested in the device Vais Tech mentioned to me that can allow you to control the Sirius receiver through the Nav Screen.

I don't want to control a separate device.
Old 01-14-05, 10:10 AM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by looknow12

I'm mostly interested in the device Vais Tech mentioned to me that can allow you to control the Sirius receiver through the Nav Screen.

I don't want to control a separate device.
Looknow.....

The system you want will cost from VAIS about $600, plus the Sirus Receiver, plus installation, as I understand it.

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Vais Tech and Satellite Radio-vaisnav.gif  
Old 01-14-05, 11:30 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

How much cleaner, I wonder ??

~ Cap
For anyone wanting good fidelity, the RCA path is significantly cleaner than the cassette path. The cassette path is subject to magnetic non-linearities and additional processing that assumes that an actual tape is in the unit. (Don't forget that the pickup device is the magnetic tape head.) The RCA input is a direct connection. How much money you spend to get the direct connection is a personal matter of priorities. But the point is, the RCA path is cleaner than the cassette adapter or FM modulator. Keep in mind, though, that satellite radio is still compressed and is not CD quality (yet), but much better than FM. The source material that is played over satellite is MP3's, which then undergo another level of compression to be transmitted via the satellite channel. It is impressively good considering what they've done to the signal, but is missing some of the original material's dynamic range.
Old 01-16-05, 09:23 AM
gekisai29
Driver

Default vais prices reasonable?

it seems that the cost is much higher than other adaptors now available for other cars. is this a function of the ml system or something else?
Old 01-16-05, 04:49 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looknow.....

~ Cap
Isn't the sunglass holder where the microphone for the Navi is?
Old 01-16-05, 05:25 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Navigation Speaker

Originally Posted by yaro1

Isn't the sunglass holder where the microphone for the Navi is?
You are absolutely right. I just heard from the maker of the Mount, telling me about his discovery of the mic. I told him to return the sunglass holder, (which he replaces) and that I would have the installer move the mic to another location.

On the antenna, I have bought an antenna made by RecepTec which is a thru roof mount. I will have to drill a hole thru the roof. I'll post pictures after the installation.

~ Cap

Quick Reply: Vais Tech and Satellite Radio