Sponsored by:

Changing the GS headunit...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-01, 05:07 PM
Sorcerer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have heard many differnet things about changing the system in the GS. I have a 98 GS 400 without the navigation system. I have purchased an aftermarket tuner with flip out screen as well as an in dash DVD player. I bought the units seperate so that they would fill the double din dash space.

Now I have had a couple installers tell me that they would have to re-wire the entier system to install the new untis. They said something about the factory system being very integrated into the car. Does any one know if this is true? Can anyone tell me how much work goes into replacing the factory system?

Thanx in advance!
Old 05-11-01, 02:06 AM
toyota_gs400

It shouldn't be that hard. The factory radio is not powered. It uses an amp to power the speakers. That means there's a factory amp you need to bypass. It's usaully located behind the glove box or under the seat. If you can find it, you can extend the wires from the speaker outputs of the amp to your new head unit's output. The factory amp also might run the radio power through it too, so you'll have to do the same with those wires. If you don't want to do it yourself, then just pass the idea to whoever your letting install your system. Hope that helps you out.
Old 05-17-01, 05:41 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Isn't the amp...in the rear...under the cover???
Old 05-18-01, 09:13 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you planning on using the stock amp or an aftermarket amp? Interfacing an aftermarket unit with the stock amp will be a nightmare. Denso proprietary system. Messy.

Percy
Old 05-18-01, 09:25 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

When I got my Alpine equipments installed I had to change the stock amp to an aftermarket amp.. Tried using the stock amp but my subwoofer didn't work anymore.. I think its due to lack of power or something.