Sponsored by:

question for the gurus

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-01, 08:46 PM
lexus808
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi everyone! I'm new here and I was hoping one of the resident gurus (Percy, Gene, et al) could answer my question

I am getting a new 2001 GS300 soon (so excited). I stuck with the stock system (non-nak non ML) because Percy said that with Dyns would blow away the ML hehe. Anyway not sure if I can afford the Dyns just yet but I was thinking of possibly changing out the sub and adding an amp.

I read that someone used the Kenwood KAC-819 and a JL 10IB4 with great satisfaction. I'm thinking that perhaps that's the way to go. I was wondering though, I was looking through crutchfield and saw this amp Profile Clarus CL600M.
here's the link hope it works:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...CL600M&o=M&a=0

And wow it's a sweet looking amp. I'm a sucker for nice shiny things lol. Anyway it seems that it has more power and generally the same features at the same price of the Kenwood. Any comments (good or bad) on this amp? Would you recommend that with the JLs? See any trouble in hooking it up with the stock deck etc... I've never heard of Profile so I don't know if they're the Realistic (Radio Shack) of the car audio business or not.

One last thing, I don't recall reading if they guy who did the Kenwood JL setup had to do any special things to drop in the JL at the old stock location. Do I have to do any special mods? I think I read you need a custom baffle somewhere but being a newbie that leaves me baffled cause I dunno what a baffle is. So I can't just take out the stock and stick in the JL? please tell me I can! hehe.

Ok thanks in advance for your help guys.
Old 05-05-01, 08:24 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Stick With Kenwood

L8 - Welcome aboard! I've never used Profile so I can't give ya any firsthand experience with it but U can read my opinion ( & it's JUST my opinion! ) concerning Kenwood in the "Improving Bass" thread down below this one. When ya get ready to max things out, then DynAudio would be the tops, followed closely by Focal & Diamond Audio. For now, the JL & one of these amps will wake up the low end frequency response - probably make ya want to swap out the door stuff sooner, too!! LOL!! The baffle to which U refer is just basically an adapter to allow the new sub to fit properly into the factory hole - the factory sub's hung beneath the rear deck instead of dropped down from the top. If ya need some help getting the rear seat out, Percy's detailed info is also in the aforementioned thread. Good luck & enjoy!
Old 05-06-01, 09:11 PM
lexus808
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Thanks Gene. Perhaps I'll let the pros do it I guess I'll check around some more for info on the profile amp...
Old 05-08-01, 06:40 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Profile amps are more of the "building block" type. In laymans terms, entry level. They'll get the job done though.

Welcome about 808!

Percy