Sponsored by:

SC300 Pioneer Sub Replacement Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-04, 01:52 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300 Pioneer Sub Replacement Questions

My rear 10 inch factory sub is blown. Im not really an audiophile like some of u guys on here but i would like clear bass so im not really looking to replace anything but that sub and i want to keep my factory amp. My question is, what kind of options do i have as far as subs? What will fit with minimal custom fitting? Anyone have brand recommendations?
Thanks LexusFiend

P.S. im sure this has been asked before but when i searched all i found was insrucitons to remove the sub.
Old 11-14-04, 05:40 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Search again, this time using "free-air".
Old 11-14-04, 06:06 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

Ok well after reading more the pioneer amp runs at 1 ohm but after looking on the internet most aftermarket subs run at 4 ohms and 2 ohms which one should i use and how straight forward is the wiring procedure? has anyone actually put a certain brand/model of sub and it fit right ? Sorry, im completely dumb when it comes to audio stuff ....
LexusFiend

Would this sub be too much ? http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mI1bEhy...0&I=2063C10VR2

Last edited by LexusFiend; 11-14-04 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-14-04, 06:41 PM
Joehs
Pole Position

I dont know exactly all the dimensions and everything, but make sure when your looking for a new sub that you check the mounting depth. The SC's have the gas tank right behind the back seats, which is where the subwoofer mounts down to. If you get one that is too deep wiht its mounting depth, it wont fit and will hit the gas tank.

Just a heads up

~Joey
Old 11-14-04, 09:50 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

Thanks i guess i will have to take out the sub this weekend and make some measurements ... unless someone can post a link or chime in and tell me a model of sub that worked for them ...
LexusFiend
Old 11-15-04, 10:50 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally posted by LexusFiend
Thanks i guess i will have to take out the sub this weekend and make some measurements ... unless someone can post a link or chime in and tell me a model of sub that worked for them ...
LexusFiend

JL Audio IB4 sub!...i bought one and stuck it in there....i did a write up on it also......... let me find the link....i hope this helps..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=ib4+sub

CEO
Old 11-15-04, 03:15 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

Well after searching the internet for a JL Audio 10 IB4 i have found that they have been discontinued .... however i have a few questions to ask you .... Do you have the Nak or Pioneer system? How many ohms is it running? (The link below says it runs at 8 right) Did you have to use an aftermarket amp? How close was the fit with that sub? (I noticed that it was only about 5 inches deep and some of the subs i have been looking at are like 10 inches deep)

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/8-12IB4_BDS.pdf

Thanks LexusFiend
Old 11-15-04, 03:20 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Well after searching the internet for a JL Audio 10 IB4 i have found that they have been discontinued .... however i have a few questions to ask you .... Do you have the Nak or Pioneer system? How many ohms is it running? (The link below says it runs at 8 right) Did you have to use an aftermarket amp? How close was the fit with that sub? (I noticed that it was only about 5 inches deep and some of the subs i have been looking at are like 10 inches deep)

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/8-12IB4_BDS.pdf

Thanks LexusFiend
it fits just about perfect ...you might need 1/2 to 1/4 inch padding for the speaker to sit just right...so that the grill will fit perfect and flush..check e-bay for the IB4 and also the classifieds here in CL...i had a NAK stereo....im going to get an amp for it in the spring...when you get and amp make sure that it has a sub output...i did not change anything in my stereo except for some jbl p-452's and the JL audio sub... if you play around with the old sub connectors you can easily figure out how to connect them to the JL audio...good luck...and dont worry about the gas tank in the trunk the sub will fit if you adjust the padding!

CEO

Last edited by THE_CEO; 11-15-04 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-15-04, 04:33 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

I searched ebay and i have came up with nothing i really want the JL audio sub since they are good quality but they only one i saw was already sold for 80 bucks used ... now im looking into a Blaupunkt TSW1000 since its cheap, is smaller than the jl that you used, and im not really looking to upgrade my system like you seem to be CEO ... i guess the only thing i need to know now is that since the sub is a 4 ohm and and the stock amp runs at 1 ohm would i blow the stock amp or get bad sound quality (or neither)?
Thanks for the help, LexusFiend
Old 11-15-04, 06:14 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

The stock amp will power the sub....but it will not be loud and hit hard...dont get me wrong it will sound much better than stock...in order to get a good sound from it you need to install an amp...

CEO
Old 02-07-05, 10:33 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone tried using a 2 ohm DVC (Dual Voice Coil) Subwoofer to create a 1 ohm subwoofer? Using the stock pioneer amp?
Old 02-08-05, 10:58 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

I dont think the stock amp is 1 ohm stable
Old 02-08-05, 06:46 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok well after reading more the pioneer amp runs at 1 ohm but after looking on the internet most aftermarket subs run at 4 ohms and 2 ohms which one should i use and how straight forward is the wiring procedure? has anyone actually put a certain brand/model of sub and it fit right ?
Old 02-08-05, 08:48 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Ok then. Im not sure I totally have faith in the stock amp being sufficient at 1 ohm but.........give it a try. Let us know how it works out! I can take being wrong

Last edited by FireCode; 02-08-05 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-09-05, 12:12 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

im not sure what ohm my jl audio Ib4 sub is but it hits decent off of the stock system...and sounds even better when the windows are down...hehe

CEO

Quick Reply: SC300 Pioneer Sub Replacement Questions