Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Special Interest Forums > Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Help! '92 SC300 driver side interior door panel removal

Old 04-24-01, 01:13 PM   #1
mdfdsc300
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

How do I go about removing the drivers-side interior door panel? It looks like there are three pieces - the top portion, the armrest, and the lower portion? Is this correct? The lower portion is cracked such the the armrest shakes when I close the door. If you follow the outer lines of the armrest towards the hinges, the crack is right where the door panel meets the dash by you left knee.
I am hoping to get this part off and try to epoxy a 3" piece of wood to regain the structural rigidity of the door panel. Pls help!!!!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
mdfdsc300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-01, 04:04 PM   #2
sc300jon

2 large screws under the armrest
3 screws along the bottom edge of the panel
2 screws on the forward edge, towards the hinge
1 large screw hidden beneath an access plate on the door release lever

That will remove the panel assy., including wood, from the door.

Additionally, you need to disconnect the door lamp, power console, and seat memory from the panel.
sc300jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-01, 07:16 AM   #3
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

Default SC300jon

thanx alot! I spoke to the parts/service rep at the dealer and he faxed me a diagram of the parts. It looks like there are three major components. There is the main assembly which covers the entire door and serves as the first layer of the interior door trim. Onto that main assembly is the lower panel which is screwed on as a second layer. Finally, it looks as though the armrest is screwed onto the lower panel. Is this right?
Can I get at that second (lower panel) without having to take the main assembly off? The less I have to take off, the better. I was told to be very careful, those clips are fragile and costs $3 each and are not usually stocked to any great degree....
For what it's worth, the dealer quoted my $192.xx for a replacement lower panel. Over $700 if I wanted to replace the entire interior door panel!!!!
Old 04-25-01, 02:31 PM   #4
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

I've got everything off except the last item - one large screw hidden beneath an access plate on the door release lever.
How do I get to this screw? Do I need to pop out the access plate? I don't see any??
Old 04-25-01, 02:35 PM   #5
sc300jon

Yes, you can carefully pop-off the access plate with a screwdriver. If you are afraid of scratching the plastic you can use a popsicle stick or some other wood/plastic blade to lever it out.
sc300jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-01, 06:01 PM   #6
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

Default thanx again!

I finally found it. thank you so much.
I was successful in fixing the panel. I used a high strength epoxy that essentially bonded to the original plastic backing of the door panel. No more shakes, rigid as new!
Old 06-06-04, 09:47 AM   #7
dean s
Driver

what is the type of epoxy you used I need to tr y and fix the top trim at the window?
dean s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 07:38 PM   #8
wexpac
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to wexpac

also curious on what I can use to fix the same problem? Cracked piece below window needs to be fixed as its cracked in half right in the middle..

hows that for a bump in 5 years =p

***** 1994 SC300 5-speed - 6k HID *****
[not the car in m y sig ]
wexpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 04:18 PM   #9
kohlex
Rookie
Trader Score: (2)

does anyone know how to take the panel off when the door won't open? i have a broken rod/clip and can't open the door from the inside or out... thanks in advance!
kohlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 09:49 PM   #10
scslapshot
Driver School Candidate

Default Door Panel when door will not open

Have you had any luck with your getting your door panel off. I have the same problem with my 95 SC passenger door panel. The door will not open for access to the panel screws and I do want to minimize damaging the panel. Any info would be appreciated.
scslapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 04:48 PM   #11
WadeLovell
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (5)

There is another member with his passenger door stuck but he managed to get the panel off. How did you handle the lock problem?
WadeLovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 04:48 PM

Tags
92, diagram, door, driver, interior, lexus, panel, panels, removal, remove, replacement, sc, sc300, side, trim