Sponsored by:

Questions re FM reception

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-04, 08:37 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Questions re FM reception

Okay guys. I'm about at the end of my rope on this one. I've tried everything, including recently installing an am/fm signal amplifier, and I still get poor FM reception (98 GS400, stock Pioneer). I live in Chicago and have owned 4 cars previous to this one, all of which have had great reception. So, signal strength is not an issue. The signals are out there, but my car is not picking them up clearly. Anyway, I have a few questions -- feel free to answer any or all of them if you have any useful information:

(1) Is there such a thing as an aftermarket antenna to replace the antenna that's set in the rear glass? If so, where can I get one? I don't care if I have to mount it on the roof of the car or the front or rear windshield. I know you need a different antenna for satellite radio, so I would assume that you could wire up your existing radio with a different antenna.

(2) I've taken out the head unit and there appears to be 2 antenna cables plugged into the back. The plugs are located on the left side while looking at the back of the head unit, and one of the plugs is slightly larger than the other. I think one of the cables may be what's called a diversity antenna, but the truth is that I have no idea what that means or what it does. Does anyone know what those two cables are? Could the unit possibly get better reception if I unplugged one of the cables?

(3) If there is a loose antenna connection somewhere, where are the trouble spots to check? I've taken the head unit out, so I'm sure that the connection is fine there. Where does the antenna cable hook up with the antenna in the rear window? Is there a relatively easy way to check to see if that connection is loose without taking the whole car apart?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

e-man
Old 08-10-11, 06:30 PM
Luxotic
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same issue .. anyone?
Old 08-10-11, 08:36 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

chk the connections on the rear window to make sure they are not unplugged. if the glass has been tinted an the tinter cut the antenna on the glass that could be the issue too..as well as any break in the wire thru the entire length. finally the tuner in that particular radio maybe faulty.. (its electronics it happens)

yes u can get a different antenna an plug it into the oem radio

http://www.metraonline.com/parts/MET...LACE_ANTENNA/2

glass mount amplified am/fm antennas work really well..

try one of these plugged directly into the radio an lay it on the roof before u do the full install to test if its the radio.. or jus put a length of wire(6ft) in the larger antenna port
makin sure to get into the center (deeper hole inside and touching the larger sidewall as well) this should pic up fm signals if the tuner is func properly
Old 09-16-11, 02:14 PM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The other plug is the power for the stock radio. Do you have aftermarket HIDs or HID fogs?

Let me know,

-Joe