Sponsored by:

a/d/s or diamonds in front

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-01, 11:04 AM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have the stock Pioneer head unit/cd in my 99 GS4. I have an a/d/s 650 amp in the trunk w/ a 12" subwoofer. If I put some high end a/d/s or diamonds in the front doors can I put some 6.5 MB quarts in the rear door? The reason I ask is because I have some Quarts left over from my previous car. Are they compatible?

Please advise.

Bobcat
Old 04-20-01, 02:50 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down MBQ

Robert - Well, if you've been around the Audio forum for awhile, U know how Percy & I feel about MBQ! Compared to the Diamonds, I'm afraid the MBQ's are too bright/harsh for my taste. The Diamonds R smoother &, in P's words, more "warm sounding". Bear in mind that these R just MY opinions - U might like alot of highs. In that case, the Quarts should work well & U can't beat the price!! If the MBQ's are components & U don't have alot of rear seat passengers, just install the woofer ( maybe cross it over as a midbass? ) & leave out the tweeter. Bottom line is - if U liked the Quarts in your previous ryde, then there's no reason U can't use them again.
Old 04-20-01, 03:02 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bobcat,

IMO, sell the MBQ's on Ebay. They're poor on midbass and power handling. MBQ seems to overrate (and overhype) their speakers by a wide margin. The ADS will handle quite a bit better on the midbass so I would suggest another set of the ads for the rear fill. With another set of ads, you'll have a system that is more sonically matched.

MBQ rates the 6.5 inch frequency response as 40-3,000. In reality it starts off at 100 rather than 40hz.

Percy
Old 04-20-01, 03:49 PM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Don't forget I have a set of Diamond Hex s600a brand new components in box & never installed. Hate to plug it here, but I'm scrappin' $$ to get my Dynaudio's before my May 5th install date. If interested, I'll make you an offer you can't refuse for the product I have. P will tell you.

Hey P, want to loan me 5 bills for the Dyn's?
I'll pay you back, I'm not goin' anywhere!! All I can do is ask & I would be no worse of then I already am!

Marken, aka "Lexlyf"
http:www.swiftracing.com
Old 04-20-01, 07:42 PM
Percy

Default ADS and Diamond HEX

This would actually be a good match! They're not radically different from each other, sonically speaking. As long as you keep the ads up front you'll be fine. Can't go wrong either way!

Percy
Old 04-20-01, 07:53 PM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Unhappy

Percy, do you mean it would be a good match to have the 345is a/d/s in front and the diamonds in the back? Is that because the a/d/s are better sounding?

Maybe I should just wait a few months and save up for the Dynaudio combo you have mentioned several times of 240 MarkII in front and MW160 in rear. Those speakers would cost about $950. Ouch. Maybe worth waiting for. I would even be tempted to try putting them in myself but I would be afraid of screwing up my door panels I think. I'm going to review some of your older posts about how to install baffles, etc ...
Old 04-21-01, 06:09 AM
Percy

SAVE THE $$$. Worth the bucks. Hint.

Percy