Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Stereo info GS 430

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-01, 03:00 PM
Overtaxed
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know the first thing about car audio, but I know that I was not satisfied with the sound of the GS that I test drove.

I'll receive my GS in a couple of weeks and I want to upgrade the speakers and subwoofer right away. I think I'll leave the main unit alone (I like to keep the remote on the steering wheel).

I have a good friend who's got a car audio shop but he's never worked on a Lexus.

And he asks me these questions that I can't answer and that I can't find in the Q&A.
Like what's the specs of the main unit? Are there pre-amp outputs? Is there a separate amplifier?

Can someone help me out with the info he'll need to start selecting the stuff to put into my car?
Old 04-17-01, 04:05 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A couple of questions that I can answer.

Yes, there is a seperate amp. Integrated IC's for the internals. If you have the Mark Levinson system then the amp itself uses discrete components rather than integrated. Difference being that discrete componenets handle more current and usually have better sound.

There are NO pre outs. Lexus/Toyota would NEVER make it that easy. Though, there have been mods performed to SC's for pre outs. Depending on which model you have for the sound, it MAY be possible to mod this out for pre outs. Nakamichi and ML are possible. Pioneer system is a bit more difficult since you'll need a fader. I still have to verify the Pioneer.

Percy
GS400
SQ Supercarrier
Old 04-18-01, 12:18 AM
Overtaxed
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Percy! I should of course mentioned that I have the Pioneer system.

But if there are no pre outs, how does the amplifier connect with the main unit?

Do all the speakers run off the amplifier or just the subwoofer?

Can I replace the amplifier with just any other (analog) amplifier? There's no possible compability problem like with the ML?

What's a fader?

I hate it when I don't understand stuff! Is there an entry level book that's a good primer on car audio? Or a web site?
I'll go look for a car audio faq for starters.
Old 04-18-01, 06:09 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Overtaxed
[B]Thanks Percy! I should of course mentioned that I have the Pioneer system.

But if there are no pre outs, how does the amplifier connect with the main unit?

Ordinarilly I'd use line level converters. They convert a high level amplified signal to a low level signal in which an aftermarket amp can handle. But, through 933005spd's hack, it is possible to tap the signal off the main unit itself. The only exception is the Pioneer which needs a fader. A fader just controls the level of sound between the front and rear speakers.

Do all the speakers run off the amplifier or just the subwoofer?
All speakers.

Can I replace the amplifier with just any other (analog) amplifier?
Yes, as long as the signal is knocked down to a level where an aftermarket amp can handle.

There's no possible compability problem like with the ML?
Actually, if done correctly, the ML would also work. It all depends if you want to keep their amp and speakers. Still have to look for the schematics...933005spd's hack might work on this also.

I hate it when I don't understand stuff! Is there an entry level book that's a good primer on car audio?
It's been so long ago that I forgot the site! Sorry!

Percy