Sponsored by:

I Just Can't Believe

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-01, 08:30 AM
Rro
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I would like to replace my damaged CD Changer in my 92ES300. I want to use the existing head unit (factory stock - Pioneer System) and simply replace the changer. Can it be done and how? As you can probably tell, I'm not a electronic wiseguy.

Any help is appreciated. Oh Yeah, the dealer say I can't do this. I would have to buy a new or reconditioned same unit. I Just Can't Believe.

I'm rapidly developing a attitude with Lexus.
Old 04-17-01, 10:09 AM
lexlyf3
Rookie

The only thing you could really do & save some $$ is put an ad in the classified section regarding you're intention to buy someone else's changer from a compatible Lexus model if not the exact to your own.

There is a place that deals in Lexus used parts, but I can't recall their name. THey are located in Seattle, Washington. The only prob with this route is that @ some point any used changer you buy will result in the same fate.

That's what happens when you make the car itself so strong that it will outlast it's internal components.

Damn U!!

Marken, aka "Lexllyf"
Swift Racing Technologies
http//:www.swiftracing.com

Last edited by lexlyf3; 04-17-01 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-17-01, 07:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

The car *is* 9 years old... not totally surprising an audio component with so many mechanical parts like the CD changer would eventually go.

How much does Lexus want for another changer? Maybe Steve Ganz (SUPRATRD) can get you a better deal.

Old 04-18-01, 05:54 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with Bit. It's not really reasonable to ***** about a 9-year old electronic part that failed.

Try the local junk yards, er I mean "used auto parts recycling centers". You may get lucky. These days they can do a national search for used parts.

If it were me I'd also do a general web search for Lexus Parts or Lexus Audio or something like that and check e-bay.

Buying a new one really doesn't make economic sense. The cost will blow you away. You're going to have to get creative to replace it without going for big $$.
Old 04-18-01, 06:01 AM
Davidp
Driver School Candidate

I have seen CD changers that connect through the FM antenna. Has anyone tried one? If so how good do they work? How does the sound quality compare to one connected directly to the head unit?
Thanks,
David.
Old 04-18-01, 08:39 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs down

If you are looking for CD quality sound this won't get it for you.

At best it will sound like an FM broadcast with far less frequency and dynamic range than a CD. Depending on the quality of the electronics it can get worse from there. The FM circuitry of the Lexus radios is ok, but no FM receiver can match a CD.