Sponsored by:

Best fit for A/D/S speakers and GS400?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-01, 04:46 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts
Question

Percy/Gene/ anyone who has ADS speakers in their GS...

I've listened to these and like them, and haven't seen too many negative comments (I believe one of Percy's comments were "they didn't fatigue me" in a discussion about MBQ issues).

My question: I want to replace both front and rear speakers, and have already added a JL sub and amp as my first step a few months ago.

Which of the A/D/S speakers should I go after that will fit best in a GS400 & provide the best sound quality?

Searched this forum and found one posting of someone who had ADS, but it was a pretty high-end installation and I'm concerned he may have undertook a more aggressive installation than I'd want to. He had 345is components.

Links to a couple of resources I've been looking at to figure it out, but still request your advice:

ADS site: http://www.adst.com/pages/ads.html

Site that sells ADS auto audio that is somewhat easier to read than the ADS site: http://www.mmxpress.com/ads.htm

Thanks as always!
David
Old 04-11-01, 10:19 PM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that would be me

i got a/d/s 345is components
i love em

i made custom baffles to replace the old plastic casing
made a baffle ring and slap in the woofer

very easy process..
any can shop can do it easily

My Gs400 Setup

thanks

Erick G
Old 04-12-01, 05:39 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

David,

You can't go wrong with the a/d/s/ components. MBQ is a different story.

Percy

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Percy/Gene/ anyone who has ADS speakers in their GS...

I've listened to these and like them, and haven't seen too many negative comments (I believe one of Percy's comments were "they didn't fatigue me" in a discussion about MBQ issues).

My question: I want to replace both front and rear speakers, and have already added a JL sub and amp as my first step a few months ago.

Which of the A/D/S speakers should I go after that will fit best in a GS400 & provide the best sound quality?

Searched this forum and found one posting of someone who had ADS, but it was a pretty high-end installation and I'm concerned he may have undertook a more aggressive installation than I'd want to. He had 345is components.

Links to a couple of resources I've been looking at to figure it out, but still request your advice:

ADS site: http://www.adst.com/pages/ads.html

Site that sells ADS auto audio that is somewhat easier to read than the ADS site: http://www.mmxpress.com/ads.htm

Thanks as always!
David
Old 04-12-01, 08:33 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Thanks Erick / Percy!

I called the shop today to order and the salesperson recommended I go with the 346IS which uses a 6.5" instead of 5 1/4 mid in the 345IS... Depth on the 346IS is 2-7/16" vs 2-3/8" for the 345IS.

Will the 6 1/2 fit and the added depth be OK?

Thanks again.
David
Old 04-13-01, 03:47 PM
Percy

You should be fine with the mounting depth. Dyns are 2 3/8th if I remember correctly...and those bolted right in with a 1 inch spacer and 1/2 inch board.

Percy

\
Thanks Erick / Percy!

I called the shop today to order and the salesperson recommended I go with the 346IS which uses a 6.5" instead of 5 1/4 mid in the 345IS... Depth on the 346IS is 2-7/16" vs 2-3/8" for the 345IS.

Will the 6 1/2 fit and the added depth be OK?

Thanks again.
David
Old 04-18-01, 09:33 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Question New ADS Model Number?

Erick:

Any idea if ADS is changing model numbers for next year? My speakers are supposed to come in this week - I called the dealer and the guy I'd been dealing with had left the company and left no record of my order or appointment. Nice.

The new salesguy could find no record of the order and called ADS to confirm that one was placed. He was told next year's models would be coming out soon and he could get a set. Told me that the model number is changing from 345IS to 335IS, but specs are the same. I don't see anything on ADS' site, but find them listed on some dealer websites.

Any idea if these two (345IS and 335IS) are the same speakers or am I getting taken?
Old 04-19-01, 06:48 AM
Percy

Default Re: New ADS Model Number?

Don't know about you, but the huge caution flag/BS detector just went off big time. Try either Brad http://www.woodyselectronics.com or Peter Lufrano http://www.theautophile.com for the ads speakers. Both of them are highly reliable. Get rid of the other guy...sounds like a creep that I used to know over at Columbia Audio. Very irresponsible. NOT worth the frustration.

Percy

Erick:

Any idea if ADS is changing model numbers for next year? My speakers are supposed to come in this week - I called the dealer and the guy I'd been dealing with had left the company and left no record of my order or appointment. Nice.

The new salesguy could find no record of the order and called ADS to confirm that one was placed. He was told next year's models would be coming out soon and he could get a set. Told me that the model number is changing from 345IS to 335IS, but specs are the same. I don't see anything on ADS' site, but find them listed on some dealer websites.

Any idea if these two (345IS and 335IS) are the same speakers or am I getting taken?
Old 04-19-01, 02:26 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Yep, the BS-ometer pinged pretty high for me too (why I posted the additional question and I also sent a note to ADS).

Here's the response I got from ADS this morning which answered my question perfectly. I called and canceled the 335is order immediately with the shop.

"Well the difference between the 335is and the 345is is in the crossover network. They are both a 12db lo-pass and an 18db hi-pass but the 345is is using much better components. It is using the coil from the 335PX series speakers and greater quality caps and resistors. As far as the woofers and tweeters these are the same.

If they are telling you that these are the same speakers they are only lying to you. The 345is will definitely play cleaner and stronger with a much more brilliant midrange section to it and a stronger midbass section than what the 335is components played.

Hope this helps you a little bit. If there is anything else please let me know.

Pat Molettieri
a/d/s/ Automotive Tech Support"

Thanks again for your help, Percy.
David