Sponsored by:

Occasional radio problem - 90' LS400

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-04, 08:01 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Occasional radio problem - 90' LS400

My radio acted bizarre the other morning. It also did this three days ago, as well as back in the winter, but this is the only three times it has occured. The other morning, I got in the car, started it and pressed the radio "on" ****. Nothing happened. I tried this at least 15 times- nothing. I gave up, livid of course and drove on. About 5 minutes down the road- I pushed the button again- and presto- the radio instantly came on- perfect sound as ever. This morning- I took more notice. It was "off" again- even though I had left it on last night when I turned off the ignition. I pressed the button and I seen the green light (but no numbers) on the radio illuminate, but it did not play music and it went back out after a second. I could also hear the antenna making a noise- as if it was trying to raise- it finally came on after about the 6th time I pressed the button.

My question is- what is happening here? Strange thing is that the radio was "on" when I turned the car off that night- so it should have automatically came on the next morning- which puzzles me why it would not. I usually leave it on and when I restart the car the next morning, it automatically comes on.

Someone on the other Lexus site said it could be a short in the radio wiring, or a loose connection behind the radio, or even a bad microchip. If it was a short, or loose connection- I would think it would cut off and on when I hit a bump in the road, but it does not- once it comes on- it is on- with no cutting off and on. Really has me puzzled. I was thinking it may even be the actual switch going bad.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Last edited by Shaffer; 08-11-04 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-12-04, 04:50 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm. Must be another one of those "its only a problem on my car" type of problem.
Old 09-19-04, 09:53 PM
sonbum1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had this same problem for about a year. The problem is probably related to the temprature of your car, particularly the area of the stereo. I never had this problem in the middle of the day or when the inside of the car was warm. It only happened when the car was cold, such as in the winter, and in the cool temps of the mornings. I ended up taking the stereo out and took off the face plate. I found that the ribbon wire that conects the face to the rest of the stereo was peeling away from the face plate. So I came to think that the cold temps would affect the ribbon causing it to curl up and peel away from its contact points while the warmer temps would allow the ribbon to relax and retain the contact. Unfortunately when taking off the face plate I totally disconnected the ribbon wire from the contact points and the stereo doesnt work at all now, so I was never able to fully test this theory.