Sound Deadening Overview.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-09, 06:15 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_CS
wow so many options..

hey spyder, on secondskinaudio which product did you end up using? the damplifier or the spl tiles? what is the difference?

thanks btw
I used the Damplifier Pro. The SPL tiles must be something new because they werent out when I ordered my Damplifier pro. I doubt you want to used the tiles though because you would need many of them in order to cover anything, it seems like the tiles are for concentrated application.
Old 12-29-09, 10:08 AM
fourthmeal
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Don's tiles at SDS are equal in thickness (if not a little thicker) than the SPL tiles. That's why I use them.

The reason why they are "concentrated" is because as Don has proven through methodical testing, you need to cover only ~25% of the surface you intend to deaden to achieve proper resonance control. I've proven this myself with my old builds.

Again, the amount spent on a single bulk pack of Dynamat Xtreme will pay for pretty much everything you need to do a full deadening job with SDS tiles. Secondskin would be also a decent choice, but you need to think in terms of multiple products, not just tons of tiles. That's expensive, and unnecessary to say the least.

25% coverage using heavy cld tiles. You aren't creating a barrier, you are creating resonance control and strength.

MLV on the floor, doors, and trunk areas. This is a true barrier.

CCF in between the MLV and the deadening tiles, and use CCF of the thickest possible density wherever possible. This is part barrier, part decoupler, part rattle-stop.

You can do it with Secondskin products too. Just might cost a bit more.
Old 03-29-10, 12:01 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fourthmeal
Don's tiles at SDS are equal in thickness (if not a little thicker) than the SPL tiles. That's why I use them.

The reason why they are "concentrated" is because as Don has proven through methodical testing, you need to cover only ~25% of the surface you intend to deaden to achieve proper resonance control. I've proven this myself with my old builds.

Again, the amount spent on a single bulk pack of Dynamat Xtreme will pay for pretty much everything you need to do a full deadening job with SDS tiles. Secondskin would be also a decent choice, but you need to think in terms of multiple products, not just tons of tiles. That's expensive, and unnecessary to say the least.

25% coverage using heavy cld tiles. You aren't creating a barrier, you are creating resonance control and strength.

MLV on the floor, doors, and trunk areas. This is a true barrier.

CCF in between the MLV and the deadening tiles, and use CCF of the thickest possible density wherever possible. This is part barrier, part decoupler, part rattle-stop.

You can do it with Secondskin products too. Just might cost a bit more.

Just used the CDT Tiles from sounddeadenershowdown in my doors and they seem to be doing as advertised. I'll be using some other stuff too but the CDT Tiles seem to be doing their job on the outside door skins. Plus Don responded very quickly to emails and shipped same day, awesome customer service.
Old 07-14-10, 02:49 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just putting my .02 out there. i have been using stinger extreme roadkill on my car and the results are awesome. i put two layers on the outer skin of the doors and one on the inner skins. when i only had one door dampened i tested the audio. it was night and day. so much more midbass and the sound coming from each door outside of the car was totally different too.
Old 10-14-10, 11:14 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
Just used the CDT Tiles from sounddeadenershowdown in my doors and they seem to be doing as advertised. I'll be using some other stuff too but the CDT Tiles seem to be doing their job on the outside door skins. Plus Don responded very quickly to emails and shipped same day, awesome customer service.
Still happy with what you got... I think I will be getting the same stuff.
Old 02-22-11, 07:39 PM
swong46
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if Second Skin Audio was mentioned yet but honestly it is one of the best if not the best sound deadener out there. Get the damplifier with luxury liner pro on top and call it done.
Old 06-21-11, 09:35 AM
bmsc300
Rookie

Originally Posted by kaosmoon
One big reason for this lack of information when it comes to car audio. honestly mass is mass...My approach to deadening is very simple. It's mass. Your adding mass. Find something that doesn't fall off, break away, break down, or rather deteriote under the conditions your going to use it in. and bam. Success.
OK, I know this post is ancient, but I'd like to clarify this GROSS MISINFORMATION for all the newbies reading this thread looking for information on sound deadening. MASS IS NOT MASS when it comes to sound deadening. Sound deadening is not about mass, it's about elasticity and density: the more soft, elastic, and also dense a material is, the more it absorbs vibration. Massive, hard materials do not absorb vibrations in comparable thicknesses to soft, elastic, dense materials. Period. So mass is absolutely NOT equal to the amount of sound deadening you get. That's why music studios line the walls with lightweight, high density foam and not hunks of heavy material.

Now, different materials have different sound absorption properties. Dynamat and B-Quiet both use sheets of tar/aluminum or tar/paper because tar is cheap and yet, tar happens to be VERY good at absorbing vibrations. Why? Because it is...wait for it...SOFT, ELASTIC, and DENSE. The top layer of aluminum on the premium matting also helps dampening due to the density even at such a thin thickness.

Originally Posted by kaosmoon
Put it in right and take your time installing it honestly is worth more than any amount of acoustic anylasis of loss or something to that effect. I'm sure there are those who will have a different viewpoint but it's probably to support their own label. That however is MY opinion and isn't going to reflect everyones viewpoint.

If you want that type of reading honestly your better off going with someone who took the time to market it as something rather than a product you put in, and put in right to get results. We just don't do that.
What, you mean someone like this? http://www.b-quiet.com/compare.html
There's a nice bit of research that obviously didn't "quadruple the price" of the product.

Horrible information, kaosmoon. Horrible.

And as a testimony, I've used B-Quiet Ultimate on a EG Civic, and MY GOD what a difference! It dampened vibration and quieted road noise DRAMATICALLY. I was beyond satisfied with the results and would strongly recommend B-Quiet Ultimate for sound deadening. It's a great product, and a hell of a lot cheaper than Dynamat.

Last edited by bmsc300; 06-22-11 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-19-13, 08:00 PM
Samieee
Pole Position

Hey all,

I'm looking to get some sound deadening material.

The posts on this thread are old and I'm wondering what brands are good now.

Have there been improvements in sound deadening since the last few posts?
Old 06-01-13, 06:01 PM
rick1987
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Samieee
Hey all,

I'm looking to get some sound deadening material.

The posts on this thread are old and I'm wondering what brands are good now.

Have there been improvements in sound deadening since the last few posts?
Interested as well.
Old 08-16-13, 05:23 AM
jeb109
Driver School Candidate

Link is dead. Can poster update it?
Old 06-22-14, 06:55 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Guys....looking to sandwich deadener between fiberglass...is there anything uniformed, like sheets, that would work?
Old 09-18-14, 06:39 AM
Switchride
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rick1987
Interested as well.
Any updates? Looking to do my trunk lid.
Old 10-10-14, 08:13 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Just received the Fatmat roll today while at the same time received a sample of RAAMAT.

Fatmat: First thing one notices is the thinness of the product which would leave you to believe that's an inferior position to be in from a product point of view. Not so IMHO. Obviously there are advantages to having thin sound deadener such as malleability, weight savings and cost to $$$ over competitor's.
Next is it's scent. Asphalt. While I'd say it's mild to medium it's definitely not conducive to a automotive environment. Think about it. In a car we have rubber, vinyl, leather and such. Asphalt just isn't right. Not to mention the VOC that you invariably inhale over the course of a week waiting for it to wear off. I have kids and find this unacceptable.

RAAMAT: First one notice the thickness of this product.Three to four times that of Fatmat. Obvious advantages to having such thickness is less material is used per install, thus saving TIME laying down multiple layers. While not as malleable as Fatmat it's not frozen carmel either.

Next is scent. This is a MUCH more "natural" smell that will blend into your car enviorment. While very mild it's not totally absent but one has to put their nose to it. In thinking of hot summers this will expand a little more but not to offensively.

addendum: my wife stated this has a "hospital" like smell. I can see that. Sort of medicine scent.

In conclusion I'll be taking a $25 hit returning this roll but I'll be better off in the long run for me and my kids. In trying to save $$ I'll be now paying twice for it. Just do it right the first time and order a non asphalt based sound deadener.

Last edited by rxonmymind; 10-10-14 at 09:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mambo619 (05-10-19)
Old 10-13-14, 09:14 AM
bmsc300
Rookie

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Just received the Fatmat roll today while at the same time received a sample of RAAMAT.

Fatmat: First thing one notices is the thinness of the product which would leave you to believe that's an inferior position to be in from a product point of view. Not so IMHO. Obviously there are advantages to having thin sound deadener such as malleability, weight savings and cost to $$$ over competitor's.
Next is it's scent. Asphalt. While I'd say it's mild to medium it's definitely not conducive to a automotive environment. Think about it. In a car we have rubber, vinyl, leather and such. Asphalt just isn't right. Not to mention the VOC that you invariably inhale over the course of a week waiting for it to wear off. I have kids and find this unacceptable.

RAAMAT: First one notice the thickness of this product.Three to four times that of Fatmat. Obvious advantages to having such thickness is less material is used per install, thus saving TIME laying down multiple layers. While not as malleable as Fatmat it's not frozen carmel either.

Next is scent. This is a MUCH more "natural" smell that will blend into your car enviorment. While very mild it's not totally absent but one has to put their nose to it. In thinking of hot summers this will expand a little more but not to offensively.

addendum: my wife stated this has a "hospital" like smell. I can see that. Sort of medicine scent.

In conclusion I'll be taking a $25 hit returning this roll but I'll be better off in the long run for me and my kids. In trying to save $$ I'll be now paying twice for it. Just do it right the first time and order a non asphalt based sound deadener.
First off: when your car is hot, the interior gives off toxic levels of benzene fumes and other carcinogenic compounds from vinyls and plastics heating up. That is part of what we think of as "new car smell." Many studies have been done over the years on this subject, and if you like, you might want to check it out. So I would be far more concerned about the damage caused by the daily carcinogen dose during the life of the car, than by the temporary tar fumes, which you and your children inhale any time you are near fresh blacktop, inside the car or otherwise.

Second: you won't really smell it once you install it. As you are peeling it off the roll and installing it with the doors open, most of the petroleum fumes will flash off and escape into the atmosphere during installation.

I've done several cars now with B-Quiet Ultimate, and I did not smell any fumes after reinstalling the carpet and seats. I did all three installs on warm spring and summer days, to give the material a chance to air out. The smell was not all that strong. During the week or two that it was curing, I smelled nothing.

A word of advice: any time you are about to get into your car on a hot summer day, open the door first and let the air escape a little bit. Those "new car" fumes are horrible stuff.

Good luck.
Old 10-13-14, 09:17 AM
bmsc300
Rookie

Originally Posted by rxonmymind

That "Hospital Scent" as your wife called it, is most likely Phenol. Phenol has been used for sterilization for ages. However, It's very bad to breathe in for any length of time. Be careful.

Quick Reply: Sound Deadening Overview.