Originally Posted by SADDLE
anybody tried Hushmat?
I haven't...
Old 06-27-07, 10:01 AM
strongsail
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Try a marine supplier

Sound and vibration dampening is a very active industry in the marine market. There are many products available, and some may cross over to automotive applications. Here's a start:

http://www.hamiltonjet.com/pages/Noi...nProducts.html
Old 07-21-07, 01:24 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Anyone used Second Skin "Overkill" or "Overkill Pro" these are accoustical foam types.

I'm looking to apply so some select areas to dampen some of the bare surfaces not already covered with some sort of noise treatment. Behind the trunk panels and gas tank where there is bare metal...etc.

No asphalt based...the car sits in some pretty hot climates while I'm on the road so I'd like to avoid those materials as well as the weight.

Update

Applied Overkill to the rear wheel wells and parts of the trunk...it dampened some of the mid range freq's well. 25 sqft doesn't go very far. I was going to borrow a db meter to test effectiveness but timing didn't work so I just applied it. The thicker Overkill pro would have done the job nicer IMO. I'll be buying more.

Last edited by RA40; 08-05-07 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-20-08, 07:41 PM
markesc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Second Skin's Damplifier Pro + Luxury Liner Pro are going into my WRX....so far the Damplifier Pro has made a nice difference!!

What areas on an SC300 are worthy of deadening as I'm anticipating having plenty of leftovers? The WRX is fun, but it's a tin can on wheels compared to the SC....
Old 02-15-09, 11:14 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone used bed liner spray? I currently have damp-pro on certain sections of the outer wall doors and non on the inner wall. I think the bed liner spray would work...wonder if anyone tried it.
Old 02-16-09, 12:54 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't recommend sprays for most (large) areas. The goal in sound deadening is to add MASS to the metal panels. It is usually much easier to add a layer or two of sheet goods like Dynamat or Damplifier than it is to add an equivalent amount of spray material. However, sprays are good for hard-to-get-at areas, or curvy sections.
Old 02-18-09, 01:17 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

After I strategically applied my Damplifier pro- music thumped much louder and clearer. Road noise reduced. I tried to apply from as far of the end section working toward the middle. Imagine the door vibrating- If you damp the middle section...energy will move toward the outer section. Since the outer section has a lot of support, you would want to extend the support towards the middle section.

Doing so will save you a lot of sheets. You may not even need to put sheets in the middle area.

Also, to reduce road noise...dampen as close to the outer and lower section as you can. If I can access the fender...I'd probably just spray that with spray-on bedliners just for the heck of it...doubt it'll add much weight to the car (performance minded spirited driver who drives like a bat out of hell).
Old 11-06-09, 01:41 PM
fourthmeal
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

To add to the list of good sound deadening websites:

www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

Good guy here, used to do just reviews on other deadeners but decided he could come up with something really nice at a good price. I'm a fan of this and SecondSkin.
Old 12-01-09, 08:21 PM
gentek
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The E-Dead brush on material is great
Old 12-27-09, 10:12 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

any recent updates as far as what is good out there these days? I plan on doing this to my car over winter and I was looking at getting dynamat extreme, but is that one of the best still?
Old 12-27-09, 10:55 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_CS
any recent updates as far as what is good out there these days? I plan on doing this to my car over winter and I was looking at getting dynamat extreme, but is that one of the best still?
Depends on your budget. there are many choices available now. Here are some that I have used.

Dynamat extreme is good, dampens well, has almost no smell or very faint. However it is expensive and IMHO overrated. There are better choices.

Second Skin Audio Mat I used in my own car. Dampens real well, is lighter than Dynamat extreme and dampens better, The adhesive backing also sticks better and the last batch I ordered last year had no smell.

A cheap alternative that I used in a Sequoia that I installed a system is was Fatmat, available on ebay. It dampens pretty well. The adhesive holds but you need to prep that surface where applying to because the adhesive is not very strong. The only drawback is the smell but it dissapates after a few hours, however for the price it is a great product.
Old 12-28-09, 08:00 AM
fourthmeal
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Is, was, and probably will be for a long time www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

Follow it to a T, Don will help you.

The money you spend on one pack of bulk Dynamat Xtreme could buy enough deadener, CCF, and MLV, spray adhesive, etc. to do an entire car 100% perfectly from Don's website.

Trust me, I've been doing this for a long time, you simply can't do better. Secondskin is CLOSE, but only with their SPL tiles.
Old 12-28-09, 09:11 AM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eventually when i get a head unit i would like to get the the trunk and front doors done but there are so many options its hard to choose...I like the dynomat extreme cuz its so thick but its expensive as hell so something that works almost as good for alot less would be fine with me. Its for my turbo IS so getting rid of some road noise and improving sound quality is really all i am looking for.

Last edited by slvrboolet; 12-28-09 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-28-09, 05:54 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

wow so many options..

hey spyder, on secondskinaudio which product did you end up using? the damplifier or the spl tiles? what is the difference?

thanks btw

Quick Reply: Sound Deadening Overview.