Sponsored by:

remote turn on

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-04, 08:38 PM
kyle8744
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote turn on

the idiots at circuit city who installed my subs didnt properly install the remote turn on wire. i have a stock h/u, and they installed it into the fuse for the radio and cig adapter. however, that is not a remote turn on, the power to it is on whenever the car is on. and, when i turn off the head unit, i get terrible feedback from the sub.

i tried running a wire from the power antenna to the remote turn on lead on my amp. however, it didn't work. where's the correct place to get remote turn on power in an ES300?
Old 07-18-04, 08:47 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

actually that is the correct place to wire the remote lead wire (from my experience)
Old 07-18-04, 08:54 PM
kyle8744
Rookie

where exactly on the antenna motor? there's several sets of wires goign into it, i chose the one that connects to what looks like a large headphone jack towards the back of the motor
Old 07-18-04, 09:41 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i meant the fuse for the radio/cig lighter is the correct location
Old 07-18-04, 11:00 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What you can do is disconnect all that stuff, then put a switch underneath your dash. Then run a wire off the 12V+ on your amp and seperate wire on the remote on the amp... run it both to the switch. Then when you need your bass, just turn on the switch and you're good to go. No need to take apart everything.
Old 07-19-04, 05:05 PM
kyle8744
Rookie

no, the cig/lighter fuse is always on when the car is on. when i turn the radio off, the sub is still on and gives INCREDIBLY LOUD feedback.

i dont want to use a switch, i want some sort of remote turn on, i want to do it right. maybe take out the head unit and find the power wire and splice into that.
Old 07-20-04, 11:34 AM
TCwindom
Pole Position

theres two wires on the back of the head unit... i just tried both to figure out which would cut it off. lol
Old 07-21-04, 12:21 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Since I don't have schematics for your car's headunit, you can try this, unless you can get a hold of schematics yourself: Get a voltmeter and a safety pin. Ground one lead of the voltmeter, connect the other lead to the pin. Set the meter to measure 'voltage', range = 20V. Get access to the back of your headunit, at the connectors. Turn your engine on, so that you have 12V accessory power on (but not in a closed garage!). Begin (carefully!) piercing the insulation of each wire with the pin, one wire at a time, so that you're touching the center conductor of the wire. Find the wires that have +12V on it. One will be battery power (always on), one will be ACC power, and another will be power antenna remote, and there should be an amp remote in there too. Note the colors/stripes of the wires. Now find which one(s) of these turn off when you turn the headunit off. Voila. You've now found either the power ant remote or amp remote. You may be able to find which of these two are which by going back & forth between radio & CD or tape, if your antenna lowers when radio is not on. Once you've found the right one, tap into it and run this to your amp remote(s). Better to use butt splices rather than those cheapo fold-over insulation-displacement splices - they weaken the wire too much.
If you can get schematics, it's easier - just find the color of the amp remote lead and tap into it.
Old 07-21-04, 08:19 PM
kyle8744
Rookie

there's no way to do this with the power antenna? :-(
Old 07-22-04, 06:40 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Not recommended - first, depending on how your headunit works, the power antenna may only be activated when the radio is turned on, so you'd have no active remote (and no amp) for CD or tape, etc. The other thing is that I'm not a fan of using the power antenna remote anyway, there's too much electrical noise when the thing turns on. The amp remote is cleaner, so you're less likely to have nasties when the amp powers up or down.
Old 07-22-04, 04:00 PM
kyle8744
Rookie

i'm pretty sure the guy who installed my subs said that the H/U didn't have a remote turn on lead.
Old 07-22-04, 04:07 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

If you have a stock amp that's separate from the headunit, then you have to have a remote turn on lead for the amp. I'm not familiar enough with the ES to know for sure. I'm not sure I'd trust the installer, since he wired your remote line to a fuse....
Old 07-22-04, 08:52 PM
kyle8744
Rookie

well theres something under the passenger seat which i think might be an amp. im scared to mess with it too much though.
Old 07-23-04, 09:00 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Woogie
What you can do is disconnect all that stuff, then put a switch underneath your dash. Then run a wire off the 12V+ on your amp and seperate wire on the remote on the amp... run it both to the switch. Then when you need your bass, just turn on the switch and you're good to go. No need to take apart everything.
thats what i did..shop that installed my stuff didnt have a switch first and i was getting crazy noise when i turn off the HU .. i went back they installed a swtich and said you need an aftermarket HU..