Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Laptop w/ GPS Navigation in car.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-04, 07:36 PM
Ditto
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laptop w/ GPS Navigation in car.

Has anyone installed a laptop in their car? If so where? Pics?
I am looking to add a laptop that I no longer use on my GS4. It's a Dell with 13" Screen. (I know it's kinda big) I am also looking to add a GPS system to the laptop because I am tired of getting lost during business trips. The good thing as well is that I can hook the laptop to my phone and I have internet access anywhere on the road. The only thing is that I don't know where to put it without being obvious to thieves. The only place I can think of without being obvious to people walking around is inside the roof of the car, but the sunroof is on the way. Also, by installing it to the roof, I avoid direct sunlight so that it won't fry my LCD screen in the HOT Texas sun.
Old 06-28-04, 11:37 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing to say, I would like to be updated on this post.
Old 06-29-04, 03:55 PM
whatuusay1
Driver

Ditto,

I have contemplated this issue for some time - putting a computer in the car for GPS, music, movies etc. You may want to check out www.mp3car.com they have a mass following of people and cars dedicated to using computers in their cars. I have a Dell D600 and I have a Navman GPS (USB) receiver. It has a suction cup that sticks to the window, but there are also many GPS units for sale on ebay - reception is clear reguardless if its on the window or back deck or sitting on the dash - it just needs to see the sky. I have 15% tint on the back and it doesnt interfer. I have contemplated tossing out the HU all together and just using a touch LCD fabricated into the old HU location but thats just me dreaming ... let me know if i can help. also, I have found mappoint 2004 to be fairly handy but i know there are lots of software packages out there.

Andrew
Old 06-30-04, 04:29 PM
asci01
Pole Position

I'm building a custom car computer for my GS. It will be the size of a standard radio and will be located where the CD changer is now. I'm also building a custom enclosure out of MDF to put a 7" VGA LCD with touch screen where the HU is. A local shop will computer-match the color and finish of the OEM dash for an integrated look. I will be able to play all my MP3s, DVD movies, FM radio, GPS and will also be connected to an ODB-II scanner that will give me real time engine functions.

A special power controller sends a "hibernate" command to the computer when the engine is turned off and will maintain power to it for 45 seconds which is enough to let the computer hibernate after engine shut off. When the engine is turn on again the power controller sends the "on" signal to the computer and it comes back exactly the way it was (including the song/movie that was playing).

I hope to be done within the next three weeks. I will post pictures as soon as I'm done.

JC
Old 07-01-04, 07:55 AM
Ditto
Pole Position

Originally posted by asci01
I'm building a custom car computer for my GS. It will be the size of a standard radio and will be located where the CD changer is now. I'm also building a custom enclosure out of MDF to put a 7" VGA LCD with touch screen where the HU is. A local shop will computer-match the color and finish of the OEM dash for an integrated look. I will be able to play all my MP3s, DVD movies, FM radio, GPS and will also be connected to an ODB-II scanner that will give me real time engine functions.

A special power controller sends a "hibernate" command to the computer when the engine is turned off and will maintain power to it for 45 seconds which is enough to let the computer hibernate after engine shut off. When the engine is turn on again the power controller sends the "on" signal to the computer and it comes back exactly the way it was (including the song/movie that was playing).

I hope to be done within the next three weeks. I will post pictures as soon as I'm done.

JC
Awesome. I'm lookng forward to seeing the pics. I have been thinking long and hard and I think that my 13" screen is way too big to be ingrated anywhere. My 2nd option is have a telescopic projecting tray with swivel under the dash (passeger side) and mount it there. The thing is I just can't seem to find parts to build it at Home Depot, Lowes, best buy.
Old 07-01-04, 04:16 PM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

JC
Ive been looking into this for the past 6 months-more info HERE

My main problem was the audio setup, Im assuming we would have to replace the stock AMP with a 4/5 channel AMP with RCA inputs
I also heard that we might be able to use the stock AMP but it will NOT work without a HU

What are you using for your audio setup(AMP,sound card,etc....)
"special power controller " are you talking about a OPUS power supply or something new that came out?

Now Im confused knowing that the eclipse AVN2454 double din unit came out - I know this would be the easier of the two but you can do way more customizing on the carPC
Also Im sure that the eclipse would be way more accurate[GPS,FM] then a carPC - so i guess you have your pros and cons

asci - what front end software are you going to run, there are soo many out there
my favorite 2 are mediacar and the new frodoplayer [pics below of the 2]
more pics HERE
Attached Thumbnails Laptop w/ GPS Navigation in car.-alum_radio-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by CaMsGS3; 07-01-04 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-01-04, 04:20 PM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

Here are some more of a new skin for media car software -

EDIT: pics below

Last edited by CaMsGS3; 07-07-04 at 05:32 AM.
Old 07-01-04, 08:10 PM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

You cant get this look from any factory/aftermarket audio system
Attached Thumbnails Laptop w/ GPS Navigation in car.-browser-medium-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by CaMsGS3; 07-07-04 at 05:33 AM.
Old 07-07-04, 05:31 AM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

asci01 - any updates ??
Old 07-07-04, 06:21 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Originally posted by CaMsGS3
asci01 - any updates ??
Yes. Today I saw the dash molding for the monitor. They're putting the finishing touches. When they tried it in the car for testing with the monitor in it, it looked awesome. In the meantime, I have been busy making the custom case for the computer. It's late now, so I'll do the final fitting tomorrow. Next to it, I'm putting a Pioneer DEQ7600 digital signal processor which will manage all sound fine tuning. The amplifiers are on order and I should have them by Friday. One will drive the four speakers and will be (hopefully) where the stock one is. The subwoofer amp will be in the trunk. I drew a wiring schematics to connect all this equipment and my wife thought I was nuts.

I should be able to take pictures this weekend. I can't wait.
Old 07-07-04, 07:52 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

awesome project, we have been discussing it on the sc forums as well:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=123752
Old 07-08-04, 05:22 AM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

Yes. Today I saw the dash molding for the monitor. They're putting the finishing touches. When they tried it in the car for testing with the monitor in it, it looked awesome. In the meantime, I have been busy making the custom case for the computer. It's late now, so I'll do the final fitting tomorrow. Next to it, I'm putting a Pioneer DEQ7600 digital signal processor which will manage all sound fine tuning. The amplifiers are on order and I should have them by Friday. One will drive the four speakers and will be (hopefully) where the stock one is. The subwoofer amp will be in the trunk. I drew a wiring schematics to connect all this equipment and my wife thought I was nuts.

I should be able to take pictures this weekend. I can't wait.
Cant wait for the pics,
so you just had to replace your stock AMP and are keeping your stock speakers?[im assuming the AMP on order has RCA inputs!]
Also what moniter did you go for?

thanks
Old 07-08-04, 10:37 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Cant wait for the pics,
so you just had to replace your stock AMP and are keeping your stock speakers?[im assuming the AMP on order has RCA inputs!]
Also what moniter did you go for?

thanks
I'm keeping the stock speakers for now. The amps both have RCA inputs.

I went with the Lilliput 7" VGA touch screen LCD. It's very good. I guess that's why is so popular.

I'm putting the final touches to the case. The initial fitting was great. I only had 1/16" to spare behind the glove box ! Undeliverable.

The computer fired up today (finally). I had received a bad mobo. The replacement arrived today. XP is installed. I'm currently testing Frodoplayer.

I'll keep you posted
Old 07-09-04, 06:01 AM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

I'm keeping the stock speakers for now. The amps both have RCA inputs.

I went with the Lilliput 7" VGA touch screen LCD. It's very good. I guess that's why is so popular.

I'm putting the final touches to the case. The initial fitting was great. I only had 1/16" to spare behind the glove box ! Undeliverable.

The computer fired up today (finally). I had received a bad mobo. The replacement arrived today. XP is installed. I'm currently testing Frodoplayer.

I'll keep you posted
sounds good!!!
It sounds like you have 2 AMPS? If so whats the bennift of having two[i have no idea about car audio]

so basically all i would have to do is replace the stock AMP with one that has RCA inputs?

sorry for all the questions, just want to have a better idea of what I need before i go to the audio place for the AMP install - because the last place i went to said I would have to change the whole audio system

Also what AMP do you have?

thanks
Old 07-09-04, 04:41 PM
asci01
Pole Position

sounds good!!!
It sounds like you have 2 AMPS? If so whats the bennift of having two[i have no idea about car audio]

so basically all i would have to do is replace the stock AMP with one that has RCA inputs?

sorry for all the questions, just want to have a better idea of what I need before i go to the audio place for the AMP install - because the last place i went to said I would have to change the whole audio system

Also what AMP do you have?

thanks
No you don't have to change the whole audio system. Only if you want to.

The reasons that I have two amps are:

1) Since our cars have four channnels plus the subwoofer, you need either an amp that has four channels plus a subwoofer output (I think they call them 5/1 amps. Someone in this forum correct me if I'm wrong) or you can have two. One to handle the front and back speakers and the other to handle the sub. Just make sure that the head unit you get has a separate subwoofer output if you go with the two amp option.

2) Space, space, space. All 5/1 amps that I found where too big to fit in the stock location. I didn't want to put it in the trunk since that meant I would have to run RCAs fron the HU to the trunk and then speakers wires back to the four interior speakers. That's about a 25' cable run times four. It can be done but I just didn't want to.

The amps are nothing facing. The old one is a 300W Pyramid PB442X. This one will go in the trunk to power the sub. The new one which should fit in the stock location is a 300W Pyramid PB180PX which will power the interior speakers

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Laptop w/ GPS Navigation in car.