Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Laptop w/ GPS Navigation in car.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-04, 02:21 PM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cinful - i believe asci01 will be writing a DIY[wont be the easy but can be done,alot of time]not sure though
when i get home i can get a part list together but then again this project is very customizable meaning that there are alot of different ways of setting up your carPC

the other thing is that you will have to replace your stock AMP with a one 5CH or use 2 AMPS , AMPs must have RCA inputs

talgrl - i dont think a GB is an option because there are so many parts[PC,audio,wires,etc...]that have to be ordered,I believe over at mp3car.com they had a GB on the TS monitor
Old 07-28-04, 02:59 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 209 Likes on 115 Posts

This is absolutely amazing!!!! Drooling...................

This is what modding is all about! Modding at a completely different level than the majority of us who just bolt on after market parts!
Old 07-28-04, 06:00 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Originally posted by sirsomo
Good work man. I have a friend who did something like this in a Corvette, the only issue that I could see is cooling? Do you have any fans in there, or just assuming there will be enough circulation?
The motherboard is designed specially to run super cool. There's a very silent fan for the CPU. That's it. but the best part is that thanks to Lexus engineers, the 98+ GS interior AC air inlet is right along the top of the door of the glove box. If you look very carefully, there is a small crack when you close the glove box. The interior air is suck through this opening and it's pull downward by the AC motor. The cool air passes right through the openings of the computer case !
Old 07-28-04, 06:13 PM
asci01
Pole Position

The computer next to the Pioneer DSP humming along. The mouse is just as a backup since everything is touch screen. And in case you're wondering, no I don't have to leave the glove box open. It closes just fine.
Attached Thumbnails Laptop w/ GPS Navigation in car.-00000070small.jpg  

Last edited by asci01; 07-28-04 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-28-04, 06:14 PM
asci01
Pole Position

The view at night.
Attached Thumbnails Laptop w/ GPS Navigation in car.-00000068small.jpg  
Old 07-28-04, 06:16 PM
asci01
Pole Position

The computer automatically adjust the screen brightness depending on the time of the day
Attached Thumbnails Laptop w/ GPS Navigation in car.-00000074small.jpg  
Old 07-28-04, 06:24 PM
asci01
Pole Position

I apologize for the blurry pics. I must be the worst photographer in the world or I have the worst digicam there is. The screen resolution is excellent. 800x600 which is better than a non-VGA LCDs
Old 07-28-04, 09:13 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Originally posted by Hameed
This is absolutely amazing!!!! Drooling...................

This is what modding is all about! Modding at a completely different level than the majority of us who just bolt on after market parts!
Hameed, I give you all credit for all the hard work you all do and inspiring me to mod my car. I wish I had the skill for the nuts and bolts like you all do. It's a different story if you ask me about electronic stuff...I hope this project inspires many others to do the same. Then I will be returning the favor.
Old 07-29-04, 08:59 PM
asci01
Pole Position

I forgot to mention...real time engine performance it's possible with the computer.
Attached Thumbnails Laptop w/ GPS Navigation in car.-gauge-1-.gif  
Old 07-29-04, 10:36 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

I have a quickie, How is the sound quality compared to say an Alpine IVA-D300? I'll either do this mod with everything, or spring for the IVA.

Or how bout this, Could you integrate a carputer with the Alpine touchscreen?

Say have the alpine unit, and as a imput have the carputer running it's gps or mp3's?
Old 07-30-04, 08:04 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Originally posted by Blue98Gs3
I have a quickie, How is the sound quality compared to say an Alpine IVA-D300? I'll either do this mod with everything, or spring for the IVA.

Or how bout this, Could you integrate a carputer with the Alpine touchscreen?

Say have the alpine unit, and as a imput have the carputer running it's gps or mp3's?
It probably wouldn't work. The computer communicates with the TS screen via USB. I don't know how the Alpine could communicate with the carputer and vice versa. However, the carputer does have a "video out" output in the back for non-VGA monitors, but that won't give you TS functionality.

Since I haven't heard the Alpine I can't compare the sound quality, but what I can say is that I'm using the stock speakers (for now) and my amps are nothng fancy, yet the sound is terrific. Also, I love the Windows Media Player equalizer and specially the crossfading feature. It's sooooo sweet. I "crossfaded" a concert song with a study song. Unaware that I could do that, my wife asked: "since when Rod Steward and LeeAnn Rimes sang in the same concert"

Last edited by asci01; 07-30-04 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-31-04, 11:07 AM
legendary
Racer

great work!

This is ironic, since I wanted to something like this..glad to know its a piece of cake
Old 08-06-04, 06:56 AM
Mark
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The computer next to the Pioneer DSP humming along. The mouse is just as a backup since everything is touch screen.
How long did the install take? Is the PC connected to the DSP?
Old 08-06-04, 06:42 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Originally posted by Mark
How long did the install take? Is the PC connected to the DSP?
The installation itself took me a weekend. The time consuming part was fabricating the case. It took me a solid week. I only had 1/16" margin of error. but since then I found a metal enclosure at digikey.com that might be a better starting point and cut the case fab time in half.

Yes the PC sound line-output is connected to the DSP and then the equalized line-outputs from the DSP go to the amps. One amp drives the sub and the other the door speakers. You don't really need the DSP, I had it laying around so why not use it. It allows me to fine tune the sound.
Old 01-09-05, 07:36 PM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

Beatiful mod.. I have seen things liek it before i just give u the credit because u wanted it and u did it urself nice job. Quick question do u have internet explorer on their... if u do thats sick and every car should have the option lol

Quick Reply: Laptop w/ GPS Navigation in car.