Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Carputer - SC guys what do you think

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-04, 07:54 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm... isn't the ECU on the floor julian?

As far as relocating DVD/CD rom, I guess you could rig up an external enclosure somewhere -- running USB 2.0 that shouldn't be a probelm for DVD Decoding. Just have the slimline drive the glovebox -- now that'd be pimp.

John
Old 06-21-04, 08:13 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i saw the "pimp my ride" on MTV. looks pretty good. one box to does everything + touchscreen...
i wouldn't mind having something like that

I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread... i've always wanted me a carputer that pretty much does everything.
Old 06-21-04, 09:12 AM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why isnt this thread stickied yet?!?!
Old 06-21-04, 09:40 AM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

is it possible to have your turbo timing and boost control and all the good engine stuff run through the carputer or is that to much of a long stretch? also how could you set up a good sound system through a computer?
Old 06-21-04, 10:48 AM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Originally posted by SupraCoup3
Umm... isn't the ECU on the floor julian?
Even if so, why you repeat dumb idea?. I replaced countless ECUs (mostly AirBag as they have to be bolted down to the floor, other are usualy hung somewhere higher..), amplifiers and alarm brains to learn the lesson.

Last edited by EUROJulian; 06-21-04 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-21-04, 10:50 AM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SupraCoup3
As far as relocating DVD/CD rom, I guess you could rig up an external enclosure somewhere -- running USB 2.0 that shouldn't be a probelm for DVD Decoding. Just have the slimline drive the glovebox -- now that'd be pimp.
I{d say a good place for a slimline DVD drive is in vertical cupholder place
Old 06-21-04, 03:06 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

talk, talk, talk that's why this thread hasn't been stickied.

I could go out and buy the parts today... heck, I could just use the parts from the thin client sitting on my desk at work! Why won't I? Because it'll cost me money... money that's better off being used for a turbo

Basically, it's entirely do-able, and it's only a matter of time... being a college student on a budget, I've basically broken the piggy bank just buying a new car and insuring it. Too bad I turned down my parents offer to pay 1/2 my insurance... what was I thinking?

But come august, if any of you SoCal guys want to build one of these, I'll be in malibu, so I'm more than willing to hook you up. Just figure out the screen mounting in the dash, and I'll take care of the rest.

And julian, you can remove a computer easier than an ECU. If you want, it could be mounted in the trunk., and still have your DVD drive (not driver ) anywhere you want.

The cupholder isn't deep enough for a slimline either... I've got one of those sitting on my desk too.

If I was to write up a shopping list, would someone do this, or are we just going to talk about this until dell starts selling cars?

just for kicks, I took apart an old CRT and put a windows 2000 server in there. Handles DNS, DHCP, WINS, and all sorts of fun stuff for my home network of ~8 machines.
Old 06-21-04, 03:19 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SupraCoup3;

So what your saying is that you can get me all the parts if I figure out how to put the LCD in the dash? I can probably make the screen flush with the rest of the dash like the Audi on page 1 since I have the tools to do it....I just need someone to get all the computer hardware together

I was thinking about getting myself one of these Lilliput touchscreens for around $260 for now and work from there...

Is there any other options we can use instead of the Lilliput screen, they seem to only come with the silver rim....It would be better to get a all black 7" LCD...

Last edited by One HoT SC400; 06-21-04 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-21-04, 03:24 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Say another $500 on hardware on top of the $260 I'm spending on the touchscreen...

Will bring me a tad below $800 still...

What options am I looking at for just $500 bucks on hardware...?
Old 06-21-04, 03:49 PM
suprang
Rookie

Ill be honest, i didnt read the entire thread.... but i did this to my supra (well its not running now, but its done)... i put the mobo and everything (cpu, ram, hard drive etc) in the glove box, got a dc dc power supply, cheap-o (rca not vga) 5 inch screen, mounted in dash (had to move my climate control), gps reciever, bla bla bla was really easy for me, and cost < 150 total (had some of the parts already)... p3 1000 ... you can also buy the touchscreen kits for ~ 65 bucks for any size screen...

Ang

Last edited by suprang; 06-21-04 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-21-04, 04:07 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by EUROJulian
In my case I want mini comp with CDROM driver build in. Why to have separate driver for? You still have to place that separate driver somwhere for easy axcess...

the mini cases have cdrom drives built in; i was speaking of an external hard drive, like a 160-200gig drive... no one wants to fan through 100 cds just to find the songs they want;

as far as the flooding; not much i can do about it;but if you've got your car regularly getting water in it; thats lowering the value considerably, not to mention damaging electronics, your ECU and transmission ecu are on the floor as well
Old 06-21-04, 06:22 PM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Why this has to be touch screen instead of regular one with track ball or sometging like new 7series use? Advantages?
Old 06-21-04, 06:28 PM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Originally posted by Bean
the mini cases have cdrom drives built in; i was speaking of an external hard drive, like a 160-200gig....
A OK. Personaly I do not care for music. I was thinking of DVDs. CD I would still keep in oryginal player as I`m keeping factory system.
Old 06-21-04, 08:06 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

onehotsc400, after reading mp3car.com, i will be getting the xenarc touch screen, alot less complaints etc. the frame is silver, but can be easily painted, etc.
Old 06-21-04, 08:40 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by EUROJulian
Why this has to be touch screen instead of regular one with track ball or sometging like new 7series use? Advantages?
because the iDrive sucks -- BMW has had negative reviews out the wazoo. My best friends grandfather bought the new 7 when it came out last year... I swear, you've gotta be MSCE certified for the interface to make a bit of sense.

a touch screen is a MUCH easier interface to handle when you're driving. My father's 2003 Q45 has a joystick deal -- it sucks. The VP had a 02 QX4 w/ a touchscreen -- so easy to use. No mouse, just your finger.

It's easier to glance down, see what you want and stab at it with your finger than to grab your trackball and to scroll a mouse to try to hit that same button. I would not want to try to use a mouse and drive a car at the same time... let alone a 5 speed (for me at least).

Another problem I've found with the factory system is that the changer loathes burned CDs... and I hate keeping my originals in my car -- I rip the CD to mp3, stow it, and burn a mix. When I get sick of a CD and replace it in the changer, I've gotten my 25 cents out of it -- I throw it away.

The big problem is that the stock changer can't read these burned CDs so well because of the reflectivity of CD-Rs -- it has a real hard time finding the ends and beginings of tracks. Music CD-Rs are better, but still tempermental. Having a carputer would eliminate this problem -- as well as oversteer or a bump inducint a big fat skip... you'd just ruin a bunch of clusters, eventually a whole platter

Anyhow, I digress.

So, what are you guys thinking? Eden or C3 based ITX mobo? and who here is waiting for the mini-ITX motherboards? (120mm x 120mm | SATA | USB 2.0 | VGA | MPEG decoder | mini-pci slot | 6 channel audio...)

JT

Quick Reply: Carputer - SC guys what do you think