Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Carputer - SC guys what do you think

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-04, 07:47 PM
Senator
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Diggin this thread up for a couple reasons.

1st, I am looking for a good site to download songs and vids (legally) to transfer over to a future Carputer project.

2nd, has anybody else took upon this great project as of late?

Lastly, how's about some updates on some members who have done the retrofit?; comments, insights, .02 cents worth?

Thanks

Josh
Old 12-29-04, 07:59 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Senator
Diggin this thread up for a couple reasons.

1st, I am looking for a good site to download songs and vids (legally) to transfer over to a future Carputer project.

2nd, has anybody else took upon this great project as of late?

Lastly, how's about some updates on some members who have done the retrofit?; comments, insights, .02 cents worth?

Thanks

Josh
hey Josh,
I finished mine about a month after ACleanSC4 did his, with his help of course. Also, PM me if you want to know where to get vids and such.

the Carputer is bad A$$. I've went through 3 ICE systems before and this by far takes the cake. I can watch dvd's, listen to mp3's, or watch NEW music vids which is all stored on my 160Gig hard drive. I don't condone watching vids while driving, but its never stopped me before.

I would really suggest getting a good 5 channel amp or one 4 channel and a single channel amp to run mids and high with your sub. sounds much cleaner. also, be sure to run your remote turn on wire with your power so you don't get any popping noises.

Plan ahead with your project! I couldn't have finished my setup without ACleanSC4's help. He's been through 2 versions, and soon he's going to be on version 3. I will be starting my version 2 hopefully soon. Just be sure you know what you want in your system. How many vids you plan on adding, or how large your mp3 collection will be. I honestly don't even listen to mp3's.

One last thing, buy ONLY good components. do it right the first time.
Old 12-29-04, 08:51 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lee, do you have any pics of your setup?

Thanks.
Old 12-29-04, 09:17 PM
96sc3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea let's see it.,,.,.
Old 12-29-04, 10:00 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

My CarPC Project .

I'm going to be doing it right the first time: Xenarc, mATX motherboard, etc
Old 12-30-04, 06:52 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unforunately, I left my camera up where I go to school, so I cant take pics. But I have my Xenarc molded into the dash already (painted as well) and I also have a computer case built that will go into the passenger side of the trunk and bolt in there using the bolts that held the CD changer in place.

I've been held up on working on the car the past few days since I was having an alarm installed (Viper 791xv), but now that I have the car back, I can get back to work
Old 05-22-05, 11:47 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

I have been talking with mteele quite a bit on this. I was wondering if anyone had any updated pics of their setups. All the pics we tried to find no longer existed.
Old 05-23-05, 12:45 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Wow. Im not really into flashy In Car Entertainment gadgets and stuff but this Car Computer this is just..wow. I like it. I checked out that MP3CAR.COM site and now it has me thinking.. Maybe after my turbo setup I'll look into getting one for my car. I like this.
Old 05-23-05, 11:43 PM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

I can't wait to get mine installed. I am going to be buying a 1JZ engine this month so not sure how much money I will have left over, but, once the swap is done the carputer comes next. I have the computer, 80gb external hd for the glovebox, power inverter for the hd, etc. (computer and monitor will both run off of 12v power, but the external hd will not.) The computer itself is 6" by 6" by 1.5" and fits anywhere. It will be capable of DVD/MP3/GPS/radio/ and much more. I'm hoping there will be some way to tie it in with engine managment but I doubt it. I have everything I need to put this into my car right now with the exception of the touchscreen monitor and a slim keyboard.
Old 06-19-05, 08:22 PM
meinoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default sc400 with in dash pc

Here is the link to my project that I posted over on mp3car. The screen was easier that I expected and works well overall. There are 5 pictures at the bottom of my write up that shows the unit installed and running. I did this without any modifications to the stock system in case my sc400 needed to be replaced -- pull this out and put it in my next sc400.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ighlight=sc400
Old 07-07-05, 04:53 PM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

Nice install, very clean. Do you plan to mold the LCD into the dashboard eventually?

I'm almost completely finished with my CarPC. I had it installed and running over the 4th of July weekend, but pulled it out yesterday again to hide all of the wires, and finish molding the touchscreen.

I have what is called an EZGO PC... it's a little 6x6x1.5" PC complete with all ports you would need and a DVD drive... the whole unit is mounted in the glovebox. I elimiated the stereo/amp/cd changer, and ran a cable under the carpet from the carputer to a 4channel amp in the trunk. (only 50x4 but that is defnatley more than enough power for the stock SC speakers). I also ran all new wiring from the amp under the rear seat and under the carpeting to all 4 speakers, and hid all of the power wires under the carpeting and behind the dash as well. The screen is a Lilliput 7" touchscreen... I molded it into the stock trim at the TOP, near where the heating controls used to be. I dropped the climate control down to the bottom where the stock stereo was. I did this so the viewing angle would be better while driving, and it looks like more OEM placement to me. I'm currently in the process of the last of probably about 7 layers of BondoGlass and sanding in order to make the console TV piece smooth and OEM looking, and then all that is left to do is primer and paint the piece to look OEM. I will also have to tint the windows to help with the bad glare on the LCD screen in direct sunlight... but I always planned on tinting the windows anyway.

Lastly, anyone have any idea how I can integrate some type of engine datalogging into my carPC? I have a 1JZ swap sitting in my garage waiting to be dropped in this month, but I have no idea how I can log it since it's not an OBD system, correct?

Edit: I'm also using WinXP home as the OS since I couldn't find pro. I thought it would look dumb booting to XP Home in the car, so now the computer boots to a Lexus logo instead of the windows screen

Last edited by JJG2005; 07-07-05 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-09-05, 03:10 AM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JJG2005
Nice install, very clean. Do you plan to mold the LCD into the dashboard eventually?

I'm almost completely finished with my CarPC. I had it installed and running over the 4th of July weekend, but pulled it out yesterday again to hide all of the wires, and finish molding the touchscreen.

I have what is called an EZGO PC... it's a little 6x6x1.5" PC complete with all ports you would need and a DVD drive... the whole unit is mounted in the glovebox. I elimiated the stereo/amp/cd changer, and ran a cable under the carpet from the carputer to a 4channel amp in the trunk. (only 50x4 but that is defnatley more than enough power for the stock SC speakers). I also ran all new wiring from the amp under the rear seat and under the carpeting to all 4 speakers, and hid all of the power wires under the carpeting and behind the dash as well. The screen is a Lilliput 7" touchscreen... I molded it into the stock trim at the TOP, near where the heating controls used to be. I dropped the climate control down to the bottom where the stock stereo was. I did this so the viewing angle would be better while driving, and it looks like more OEM placement to me. I'm currently in the process of the last of probably about 7 layers of BondoGlass and sanding in order to make the console TV piece smooth and OEM looking, and then all that is left to do is primer and paint the piece to look OEM. I will also have to tint the windows to help with the bad glare on the LCD screen in direct sunlight... but I always planned on tinting the windows anyway.

Lastly, anyone have any idea how I can integrate some type of engine datalogging into my carPC? I have a 1JZ swap sitting in my garage waiting to be dropped in this month, but I have no idea how I can log it since it's not an OBD system, correct?

Edit: I'm also using WinXP home as the OS since I couldn't find pro. I thought it would look dumb booting to XP Home in the car, so now the computer boots to a Lexus logo instead of the windows screen
Get some pics of your install

From what year is your 1JZ? What year is the ECU? 1996 and up had to have OBDII.

I'm surprised you had enough space for your CC AND 7" LCD. I'm getting rid of my CC, and making it go through the car computer. Under it will be a slot load DVD
Old 07-09-05, 09:17 AM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

after sitting in ACleanSC4's car i really want to do one. it takes alot of time and alot of money (i work minimum wage, so this is a biggie for me)
Old 07-09-05, 12:16 PM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

I will post some teaser pics today... it's finally almost near completion, but there is still one wire hanging that I have to drill through the firewall, and a bit more fabrication of the center console to look OEM.

The one problem I ran into yesterday was I figured I could tap the 12v power for the LCD off of my stock radio harness since I'm not using it anymore. Well, it supplies 14.xx volt, which is fine since the LCD adapter takes 12-16 volts and turns it into a steady 12v. However, when I hook it up to the LCD, that line now only supplies 4v. So, I had to run a line directly to the battery since I couldn't figure that out, and do it that way. (this is the wire I sitll have to hide)
Old 10-06-05, 07:17 AM
muldrick
Rookie

If you are in the South-Central,PA/Northern Maryland area, we do installations...for those interested.
CarputersForDummies.com