Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

headunit help

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-01, 04:13 PM
dB IS300 dB

Question

Is it possible to put a pioneer deh-p920r head-unit (i.e. the one w/ the dolphins and space and city screensaver) in your IS300 to replace the stock headunit??? I was thinking about hooking that up to the stock 6-disc changer cuz an auxiliary device can be linked to the headunit and i was wondering if it was possible to install the headunit first of all and if it was also possible, that if i couldn't hook the headunit up, would it be possible for me 2 hook up an amp and 2 subs to the whole stock system so that every sound can be controlled by the stock head unit?
Old 04-08-01, 02:05 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I am not sure about this setup for the headunit but have you tried askin your dealer? or talkin to a local car audio shop? you might even be so inclined to send a car audio magazine a letter and ask them.. someone knows this answer just does not seem to be anyone on this forum
Old 04-08-01, 02:35 PM
mkilty
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by dB IS300 dB
Is it possible to put a pioneer deh-p920r head-unit (i.e. the one w/ the dolphins and space and city screensaver) in your IS300 to replace the stock headunit??? I was thinking about hooking that up to the stock 6-disc changer cuz an auxiliary device can be linked to the headunit and i was wondering if it was possible to install the headunit first of all and if it was also possible, that if i couldn't hook the headunit up, would it be possible for me 2 hook up an amp and 2 subs to the whole stock system so that every sound can be controlled by the stock head unit?
Go post this message on the electronics forum. We have some very knowledgable people in that forum that deals with issues like this.
Old 04-08-01, 09:27 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Since the Pioneer DEH-p9200r is a single DIN unit, you'll have to make a custom faceplate in order to fill in the double din spacing of the Lexus. The cd unit itself will bolt in, but you'll have to choose either the upper or lower portion of the mounting area.

The IS300's have the changer built in to the head unit. Kinda difficult to link it to the changer if the changer itself is out of the car. Even if it was a different car (GS400/SC400/LS430) it wouldn't be possible to use the stock changer with an aftermarket head unit since there is no unit out on the market that is compatible with the Lexus changers.

Even without the headunit install, it is possible to hook up 2 subs and 2 amps using line level converters. The LLC's take the output signal from the stock head unit and reduce them to a level in which an aftermarket amp can handle. You'll need line level converters, the amps, wiring and speakers. Take your time on the installation and I HIGHLY recommend that you do the install YOURSELF. Not too many shops know how the IS300 is laid out, despite what they claim. If the shop that you have in mind claims to have worked on an IS3, ask for examples of their installation on that particular IS3. Remember...it's very easy for a shop to "sweet talk" into working on the car. Don't fall for it.

The local Lexus dealership will have "tear down" diagrams of how to get into certain areas of the car. Rear deck, door speakers, etc. Ask for them at your dealership.

Percy
GS400
SQ Supercarrier

Originally posted by dB IS300 dB
Old 05-06-01, 08:15 PM
Sooner
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head unit

you can install an aftermarket amp to the stock headunit. i have seen and is 300 withe the stock headunit with 2 15's hooked up to it