Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Stereo info please

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-01, 01:12 AM
IITravel

Default Mark Levinson stereo info please.

Have a few questions that I hope some of you can answer regarding the 2001 GS430 with the Mark Levinson sound system.
1. What size speaker is the center channel?
2. Is the center channel powered by the head unit, a seperate amplifier, or the amiplifier powering the rest of the system that's in the trunk?
3. Want to install the Dynaudion 240mkII in the front doors, will the woofers and tweeters fit in the stock locations without modifications?
4. Are the rear speakers (4.5" in the rear doors) on spacers? If so what is the largest size co-axial drive I can put in the stock location without doing any cutting or modifications (except maybe making a spacer)? I want to know if there is enough room to put the Boston Acoustics Pro 5.5 or 6.5's in there (the ProSeries 4.5 will not allow you to axis mount.)
5. Anyone who's worked on these systems, can a converter (to RCA) be put in the line between the touch screen head unit and the amplifier, or does it have to be put in the signal after the amplifier (like a regular high to RCA low converter)?

These answers would help me out enourmously... Thanks!
Old 04-01-01, 01:38 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Answers

Most of the answers U seek R covered in the Lexus Q&A link. Percy did some serious R&D for everyone concerning the ML system & he's the resident guru of DynAudio! Take a look there first & get back with us in the Electronics Forum for any other questions!
Old 04-01-01, 09:59 AM
IITravel

Actually, I did read the Q&A and it was very helpful. But, none of my questions are addressed there, so could I get some knowledgeable responses, this would be great. Thanks...
Old 04-01-01, 10:44 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Mark Levinson stereo info please.

Originally posted by IITravel
Have a few questions that I hope some of you can answer regarding the 2001 GS430 with the Mark Levinson sound system.
1. What size speaker is the center channel?

2.5 inch.

2. Is the center channel powered by the head unit, a seperate amplifier, or the amiplifier powering the rest of the system that's in the trunk?

Seperate amp. NOT AFTERMARKET COMPATIBLE.

3. Want to install the Dynaudion 240mkII in the front doors, will the woofers and tweeters fit in the stock locations without modifications?

NO. You'll need to modify. Both the mid AND the tweeter.

4. Are the rear speakers (4.5" in the rear doors) on spacers? If so what is the largest size co-axial drive I can put in the stock location without doing any cutting or modifications (except maybe making a spacer)? I want to know if there is enough room to put the Boston Acoustics Pro 5.5 or 6.5's in there (the ProSeries 4.5 will not allow you to axis mount.)

4 inch round coax's in doors. I'd suggest modding this out to fit 6.5's.

5. Anyone who's worked on these systems, can a converter (to RCA) be put in the line between the touch screen head unit and the amplifier, or does it have to be put in the signal after the amplifier (like a regular high to RCA low converter)?

Regular high to low level converter. You can't "intercept" the signal since it's a data bus with digital levels. Sounds like "white noise" and it may damage your amp since it's at a 5 volt level. Take the signal after the amp. Best way.

These answers would help me out enourmously... Thanks!
You're welcome.

Percy
SQ Supercarrier. GS400.
Old 04-01-01, 10:49 AM
IITravel

Thanks, just what I was looking for...

Who sells, a 2.5 in speaker? No need anyway if it is a spereate dedicated amp up front anyway. I can keep it on and still upgrade the rest of the system. I only disappointment is not being able to intercept the signal before the amp, not the job get harder, because I want to put an 1/2 din eq or dsp in the glove box and this means running RCA's from the trunk to the glove box and back to the trunk where the amps will be.
Thanks again...
Old 04-01-01, 05:59 PM
Percy

With a bit of creativity, you could probably fit a Dynaudio MD140 (4 inch midrange) in the same location. Just try to fit it under the stock grille...there should be plenty of room underneath the center speaker.

Nobody I know of makes a 2.5 inch round.

Percy

Originally posted by IITravel
Thanks, just what I was looking for...

Who sells, a 2.5 in speaker? No need anyway if it is a spereate dedicated amp up front anyway. I can keep it on and still upgrade the rest of the system. I only disappointment is not being able to intercept the signal before the amp, not the job get harder, because I want to put an 1/2 din eq or dsp in the glove box and this means running RCA's from the trunk to the glove box and back to the trunk where the amps will be.
Thanks again...
Old 04-02-01, 07:31 AM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default center channel

Yep I concur Percy - the 4in would be real nice in there! If you are upgrading the other speakers then definatly upgrade the center. Are you installing new amps? If so you could run the center channel line input to a compatible amp - such as Xtant. Or if upgrading the head unit also, then get a center processor. Carver made one - they are always on ebay ($40). This is a quality unit which takes a right and left input and creates a center from that - its adjustable. Run this into your amp also! If I can get a 5+ into my front dash - SC300 - I will do it!!
Old 04-17-01, 07:27 PM
IITravel

I just read the review of the Mark Levinson system in the Feb/Mar 2001 issue of Mobile Entertainment (CSR) and it states that the ML system comes with a 7 channel amp. This goes against what has been stated and I would like to clear up something. Is the center channel speaker driven by a seperate amp in the dash or by the stated 7 channel amp in the trunk? Also I can't figure out where the 7th channel is. It should have 2 for the front speakers, 2 for the rear, 1 for the single free air sub. And if the center channel is driven off this amp, then 1 for the center channel. This makes 6, where is the 7th?
Oh, and I love the fact that the article says that the bass is good and tight with the free air sub. I can't even hear the bass with this sub., unless I'm in the back seat.
Old 04-17-01, 08:07 PM
Percy

I have NO idea how the channels are split. 10 speaker, 7 channels. Waitaminute....revelation!
Subwoofer is DUAL coil. Uses two channels. (2)
Rear left and right. 1 channel each. (2)
Front left and right (including titanium tweet) (2)
Center channel (1)

7 total.

CSR reviews are good if they're reviewed honestly. Ken C. Pohlman does an EXCELLENT job. Who is the article written by? Also, there is another review in "The Absolute Sound" which was, IMO, absolute BS. "Smooth sounding"? "Audiophile quality?" They pumped up the article with so much fluff that it wasn't even funny. Have to remember that they were being PAID to evaluate the system. Not objective at all and too much flowery language.

Percy
Old 04-17-01, 08:30 PM
IITravel

Written by Joe Wienenfelder p.22 & 23.