Sponsored by:

Pc / Nav / Mp3 / Tv / Dvd / Ps2

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-01, 09:54 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi,

I am thinking about doing something to enable pc, navigation, mp3 playback, tv, dvd, and video gaming capabilities in my gs400. I am thinking about building a slim pc which will take care of the pc, nav, and mp3. A simple tv tuner for the tv, ps2 for the video game, and a seperate sony portable dvd player for the dvd. I even have the screens picked out, 8.4" color vga screens for the 2 headrests.

What I need help in is deciding on whether to add 2 more smaller lcds to go into each sunshade (visor) or replacing the headunit with a monitor/stereo.

The problem with doing the lcds into the sunshade is that for the nav, the driver would have to pull down the visor in order to use it. There is a good and bad thing to that, the good is that the driver can keep his head straight and only glance his eyes a few inches above to see the lcd while the bad is that it limits the driver's view of the road ahead.

The problem with doing a new headunit is that its seems like a bigger job since I would have to change the stereo/amp/woodtrim and pay over a thousand dollars for a headunit that has a monitor and cd changer/dvd/aux input capabilities.

Do you guys have any tips, ideas, or suggestions? I am good with electronics/computers but not too good with mechanical things such as removing door panels or cutting up sunshades for the lcd. I would appreciate any help by email, this post, website, or even phone.

I also need help in figuring out how to set the inputs/outputs so that each screen can show a different thing if it wants. For example, 2 set on dvd, 2 set on nav, or 1 on nav, 1 on dvd, 1 on ps2, 1 on tv, or all on dvd, etc. I am going to do wireless headsets for the audio so that each person can hear a different thing, the hard part is the video setups I mentioned above.

I live in a very small town in eastern TN so its going to be hard to get help from the locals, if you guys know any pros refer me to them.

I would also like to know whether any of you have done like this in your car (or someone else's car) or have seen any of this anywhere (in real life, a magazine, tv, news, website, etc).

Thanks for all of your help. Any information even slightly related to this subject would be greatly appreciated.