Sponsored by:

Trying to Install AfterMarket Radio... Wiring Help! *Did Search*

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-04, 09:27 AM
fst96se
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Pianoman72
What's wrong did you not like my dumb reply or did you just give up?
Your reply was GREAT!

Just kidding, I just broke down and bought a 4 channel, an Alpine MRV-F340. Still researching speakers though.
Old 04-02-09, 04:10 PM
MR_Clean
Rookie

Default Half way figured out

Hey guys,

First off I'm new to the forums so I'll start off by saying Hi to everyone. I Recently switched from the DSM Scene and got rid of my beloved 98 Talon and 99 Eclipse's to a 95 SC300.

The car I bought is in good overall condition for a 15 year old car. The one thing I came across was the fact that I couldnt play MP3's and the CD changer in the trunk is an inconvenience at best. I bought a single din aftermarket head unit and am having some problems installing it.

I bought the toyota Harness and can figure out half of the wiring. On the harness there are 4 RCA type end (Male) that are for the Amp output's and input's. I dont see anywhere to hook these to.

I connected the ACC, Antenna, ground, 12v constant and switched to the harness; thats all fine.

I guess to make a long story not so long, where do these RCA type input/ouput ends go to?

The harness I have is a Metra harness # 70-8112 for a 1992-1999 Toyota.

Ill layout the wiring diagram off the harness for anyone whos not familiar with this style harness

Pin Color Function
1 Blue/White AMP turn on
2 Orange Illumination
3 Red ACC
4 Yellow 12V constant
5 Brown/White Mute
6 White Lt Front Amp Input (+) --- RCA Type **
7 Gray Rt Front Amp Input (-)--- RCA Type ** 6&7 are together
8 Blue Power Antenna
9 Not used
10 Brown Telephone Mute
11 Black Ground
12 Black/White Signal Ground
13 Brown/Yellow Beep
14 Green Lt Rear Amp input (+)---RCA Type **
15 Purple Lt Rear Amp input (-)--- RCA Type **

If anyone has any input on where these would go I would appreciate it.

Sorry for being a newb and bringing a very old thread to life. I promise the more I do the more I'll learn about this new (to me) platform.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Trying to Install AfterMarket Radio... Wiring Help!  *Did Search*-harness.jpg  
Old 04-02-09, 06:03 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

simple, factory amp - you just need to plug those into the RCA outputs on your aftermarket head unit, assuming it has them... if not, then your aftermarket head unit will not work with the factory amp... if this is the case, you will need to be running some wires yourself...

I can give you some insight if that is the case....
Old 04-02-09, 10:24 PM
MR_Clean
Rookie

Ok well that's pretty simple lol.. I pondered on the idea but just wasnt 100% sure.

So lets say hypothetically I want to put in an aftermarket amp, where do I run the RCA's to at that point? Are they put into the head unit or the harness?
Old 04-02-09, 10:51 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_Clean
Ok well that's pretty simple lol.. I pondered on the idea but just wasnt 100% sure.

So lets say hypothetically I want to put in an aftermarket amp, where do I run the RCA's to at that point? Are they put into the head unit or the harness?
if you install an aftermarket amp, you will need to run rca wires from the head unit to wherever you decide to mount the amp...

I suppose it might be possible to use the factory wires, but not recommended due to possible signal noise... what I did was to mount the amp close to where the stock one was (under the cd changer in the trunk), ran rca wires to it, then pinned out the factory wiring so that I didn't have to run individual speaker wire to each of the factory locations...
Old 04-09-12, 08:05 PM
Gedrus
Driver School Candidate

Default Beating a dead horse

Not sure how "alive" this thread is anymore, but I had a quick question about the Sub in the SC300. When I bought my wire harness it simply attached to plug A in the previous diagrams, which as I understand it is speakers and Amp. What I need is some sort of harness for the Sub. I have 2 RCA outputs for the sub from my head unit and would love to hook it up. Instead of hacking the wiring, does anyone know of a usable plug that adapts the blue plug in the previous pictures and diagrams into RCA plugs?

Also: I am having the alternator "whine" through my speakers and wonder if you would suggest using ground loop isolators or seeing if I have missed a ground wire somewhere?