OK OK I'm going 2 get the Dyn's!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-01, 05:53 PM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Mean Gene & P,

I've decided to scrap my front Soundstream SPL components for a Dynaudio setup. I have decided to utilize the MW170 driver with the MD130 tweeter. I'm going to eliminate the crossover unit & use the RF Symmetry internal crossover unit with the 28 bands of equalization.

I do have a set of Diamond Audio's Hex 6.5 components that have never been installed or opened. I will sell them to anyone who how is interested, but if I can't find a buyer, I will use the 6.5's in the rear.

What do you guys think of this set up? As far as amplificaition goes I'm going to move my current sub amp (RF 500a2) to power the Dyn's up front. I'll purchase another RF500a2 or something slightly less powerful to power the rear fill. Then for the subs, I'll use a RF800a2. I'm not sure what I want to do for the subs. I might go the 3-12" route or 2-15". Any suggestions welcomed.

The head unit is an Alpine CVA-1005. I'll go ahead & toss my Dreamcast into the car or buy a PS2 (both gaming & DVD duties). If I go the Dreamcast route, I'll install a home DVD player into the car (you know, AC/DC convertor & besides less expense-> $99). I'm also pondering using a Home Theater for Dolby Digital duties to just be different & original. To top it all off, the crown jewel of the install will incorporate a fully functional desktop computer where the video will patch into the 1005 & allow me to run the Napster playlists program right through the audio system.

Whew........I've been busy.

Old 03-31-01, 06:23 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P's HAPPY!!

Marken - Well, if nothing else, U just made Percy VERY happy to convert another to the Dyn family!! Now he's working on me - could happen if I don't sell the car!? I'd be really worried about running two 15's as there's gonna be a large midbass gap between those 6.5's ( only play down to about 48 Hz or so ) & 15's ( 20-22 Hz ). 'Course, U can use the Symmetry to compromise ( one of the few electronics RF has I care for, other than amps ). I think U'll be happier with two 12's over the 15's, or even three 12's but if U like to pound, it's hard to beat 15's ( too slow in response for me - I'm a 12's man! ). If U run 3 amps, U should have an unused A/V output on the Symmetry for a Dolby Decoder like the one from Alpine. MIGHT have a buyer for those Diamonds if my son ( the basshead!! ) has any $ left over after his conversion to multiple 15's. I'll let ya know! Where ya gonna hide the DVD player if U go the home style route?
Old 03-31-01, 08:09 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Marken,

MW170/MD130 is an EXCELLENT combo. Hopefully you're going to put these into kickpods of some sort. The 130 is HUGE for a tweeter, but this tweeter is THE BEST in CAR AUDIO. Any better and you'll have to go with home stuff...not recommended in the car enviroment.

Stick with 12's. The 15's are HEAVY and they don't respond well to transients. Lots of cone weight. Only exception is the Velodyne DF15sc...but there are only 3 in the world. One of them Peter Lufrano has...but isn't installing. Makes a great showpiece. Mean Gene (SQ Lite) is right in that there would be a HUGE gap in frequency response/midbass if you're going with the 15's. With 12's you have a fighting chance, especially with the RF symetry. (I could go into modding one of those for better SQ...but I'll tell you that when you're ready.) The MW170 is good for 40hz...I'd still cross them over at 70 so they don't get loaded down too much with the bass.

Have you decided on a good Home Theater Dolby Digital/AC-3 receiver yet?

Percy
SQ Supercarrier
Old 03-31-01, 10:25 PM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as the home DVD unit goes, I'm thinking about installing it in the trunk, relocating the infrared remote eye to the center ac vent. If the $$ allows, I'll actually have 2 home DVD players installed back there. The second DVD audio/video will be patched directly into a 4" monitor to be installed in the passenger visor. This would allow the pasenger to watch a different DVD from the rest of the car & would use a pair of wireless headphones. I want to also put an a/v selector onthe 4" monitor to the passenger could either watch DVD #1, #2, or Dreamcast.

I haven't decided which home av unit to use. Of course which ever one I end up with will have all of the necessary gadgets & features like ac-3, dolby digital, etc. I would have to incorporate this into the trunk w/ the same remote eye relocation treatment. Remember how larger than average size these things are. I might end up having to scrap this part of the system or maybe going with a lesser quality but reliable unit.

The RF Symmetry needs some clarification. Does this unit (EPX2) have the needed internal crossover points which I will use on the Dyn's & whatever else I could utilize to gain more control over the system? I also keep hearing about this "RDAT" unit that comes with the Symmetry that is suppose to mount on the back of the rear view mirror? Not sure, that's what the guy who's selling one stated in an e-mail to me.

I'm really worried about the kickpods in my SC. To me, it seems as if there isn't a lot of room on the driver's side footwell as it is. In addition, the SC models have a fuse control panel behind the carpet where a pod would be fabricated. How to get around this? Utilizing the Dyn combo that I like, would it present any noticeable gaps in frequency response, as I'm NOT planning on making the front pods a 3-way setup?

Last but not least, the subs. 2 or 3 12"s would fire into the small gas tank area. This would leave the baskets of the subs exposed. The gas tank area I would completely seal off, both the front portion behind the rear seats and the rear where the subs are installed. Perhaps my installer wiz (Tai) could also plug up the rear deck allowing tuned ports to be located where the stock sub opening used to be. The only problem with this type of enclosure is that it would not allow me ANY access to the rear shock perches if Mo & I were to change the shock set up for any reason.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions? Mean Gean, just let me know about the Diamond HEX's.

Last edited by lexlyf; 03-31-01 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-01-01, 01:33 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up 2-Way's OK

Marken - Having looked at the Dyn specs from a link that Percy gave me, a two-way setup should be just fine. I have my kicks crossed over as tweets & midranges & am using the 6.5 Diamond in the door crossed over as a midbass ( my concession to the "bass up front" that judges seems to be looking for nowadays ). The Symmetry has infinite crossover points so U'll be OK there as well. The RDAT is really just a remote tuning control for the actual brain of the Symmetry - I have mine in the place of my old ashtray so I can tune things at my fingertips while the brain's in the trunk. Kinda big to be located on the back of the rearview, I'd say. I know the feeling about access to your rear struts - my enclosure will require complete removal to do so as well. Figure I'll be maxing out my strut life 'cause I don't look forward to that! I've seen & heard the tuned port method done but it left something to be desired, IMO. Haven't seen or done an SC trunk so I'm not sure of any advice here - sorry!