Sponsored by:

Speaker Install - "How-To" with TONS of pics!! SC3/400

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-04, 01:42 PM
TrboDANDEE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by RSTSpeed
What are you running off of the blue plug? I'm just curious cuz I didn't use it. Maybe that's why I have no antenna, lol
well the harness came with 2 plugs, and they plug into those clips. i dont know what the wires in the blue plug does, thats why i wanted to see a wiring diagram for the radio.
Old 02-16-04, 02:47 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, ok... I'll keep looking on the net for where I found the diagrams; I'm just lazy right now, lol
Old 02-20-04, 06:54 PM
no2faber
Lead Lap

hi
here are the wiring diagrams. i did the HU swap and JL 10ib4 install for my car a few months ago, and yeah the toyota harness requires you to use both the blue and the white one. i don't have my power antenna up yet either. i dont' know what to do w/ it. also, i still have that HUGE 1.5 DIN hole b/c my HU is only single Din. i've been asking around for a 1.5 DIN pocket, but i haven't been able to find one. what did u guys do with your hole?

http://www.intellexual.net/faq/lexusstereo.swf

Last edited by no2faber; 02-20-04 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-21-04, 11:50 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

I bought the $50 filler from altran (Got it off a website, but apparently it's his product). It's not worth the $ IMO. I don't know what else you could do there, but I'd LOVE to see a pocket. That'd be nice. I didn't use two plugs, I only used one - BUT I'm amping all my speakers, so that may be why.
Old 02-22-04, 12:08 AM
no2faber
Lead Lap

yeah. i forget what each harness is for, but i would think that since you're amping your speakers that would require a lot less wires from your harness. about the filler, i mean i would pay 50 if i think's it's something i'll leave there permanently, but if i just feel like i'm paying a little too much if i'm thinking about replacing it for a pocket later.
Old 02-27-04, 10:02 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

no2 - this should solve your antenna woes if you haven't firgured it out already...

Originally posted by rscott
*installing from nakamichi setup*

First off, DO NOT buy the scosche/metra toyota harness. It may work for the speakers, but it does not have any of the power wires on it. Because Im amping all my speakers, I decided to forego effort of figuring out which harness wire goes to what speaker. In either case, here are the wire colors for everything youll need to wire in a unit.

When you remove the stock headunit, four plugs will come out. You will only need the leftmost one. It is the one with the most but smallest terminals.
I used some quick splices to tap into the wires

Constant 12V (+) - Blue/Red
Ignition Switched 12V (+) -
Antenna - Pink/Blue AND Pink/Green
ILL 12V (+) -
Ground ( - ) - Simply crimp on a ring connector to the stereo harness and ground under the bolt to the body directly under the stereo - no need to tap that.

All these will be found on the left side of the leftmost plug. For the antenna, tap into both wires and connect the two, then connect that to the lead from the stereo harness. If your stereo harness does not have a lead like mine did, you have two options. You can connect it to your remote turn on for the amps but it will always be up when your headunit is powered on. Or you can do as I did and run it through a switch then to the cigarette lighter power. This way, its only up when you want it to be up.

**To be continued** (off work)

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 02-27-04 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-12-04, 02:23 PM
edjosh23
Driver School Candidate

wow, that is just I've been looking for. I see you put a port, would polyfil be helpfull too?

Thanks a lot and I really appriciate the instructions and pics.

Last edited by edjosh23; 10-12-04 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-12-04, 03:08 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Glad I could help, EdJosh!

To be honest, I don't know what effect polyfill would have on the sound quality. It probably wouldn't hurt, though. I cut the port in there because the OEM enclosure had one, so I figured it couldn't hurt!
Old 04-11-05, 08:38 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Default RST, Thank you, awesome help

RST,

Soo freaking cool that you did this amazing piece of reference .

I did the rears but was scared of the front door speakers until now. I've installed some Infiniti 6 1/2" 6002i to match my rears (edit... and in so doing discovered: )

The signal to the doors from the amp is full range. The output wires to the tweeter are piggy backed off the same feed as the 4", but have a low pass filter inside the assembly holding the existing 4". So a warning in order here...you must salvage that connection with the low pass filter. It provides a signal to the tweeter delivered via the bright orange connector in the pictures RST posted (labeled "to tweeter").

No way around that or your going to completely loose the signal to the dedicated door tweeter.

Last edited by SCoupe; 02-20-06 at 12:50 AM.
Old 04-12-05, 08:40 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SCoupe
RST,

Soo freaking cool that you did this amazing piece of reference .

I did the rears but was scared of the front door speakers until now. I'm going to install some Infiniti 6 1/2" 6002i to match my rears.

Wondering if the signal delivered to the those speakers (the old 4"s location) is a full range signal or have the highs been filtered out because of the separate stock tweeters?
If I remember correctly, it's not a full-range signal; the speaker amp has wires running to both the mid-range woofers and the tweeters.... I think. It's been a while since I've looked, lol. Good luk with it, and let us know how it sounds!
Old 08-01-05, 11:48 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RSTSpeed
Glad I could help, EdJosh!

To be honest, I don't know what effect polyfill would have on the sound quality. It probably wouldn't hurt, though. I cut the port in there because the OEM enclosure had one, so I figured it couldn't hurt!
Since you're very good at this, may I ask you a few things? What are the sizes of the stock front & rear speakers for a '95 SC400? Also, how did you remove the rear right & left speakers? I tried to pry the covers from the top but they seem to break. Thanks.

Any info. is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-02-05, 01:50 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

The size for both the front AND rear speakers is 4", but the fronts also have a separate tweeter. To reamove the rear speakers, just look through my "How To" (the first couple of posts). It's a lot of work, so just take your time and be careful. Hope that helps, but let me know if you need more assistance!
Old 09-30-05, 12:06 AM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

wow. VERY nice write up. I will be using this not to install a new stereo system. But to strip all that junk out of my car for weight reduction
Old 09-30-05, 09:51 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Hahah, good idea!
Old 09-30-05, 06:16 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
wow. VERY nice write up. I will be using this not to install a new stereo system. But to strip all that junk out of my car for weight reduction
There's actually nothing much that you can do to reduce weight internally. All internal parts are really light, including the back seat which weighs only a few pounds. In my opinion, it's not worth your try. The SC's heavy weight is on the engine and the metal body.

Quick Reply: Speaker Install - "How-To" with TONS of pics!! SC3/400