Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Speaker Install - "How-To" with TONS of pics!! SC3/400

Old 02-06-04, 12:15 AM
TrboDANDEE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha, u practically took out your whole interior. I can do all that stuff, like changing out the speakers and taking out the interior panels, the only thing i will have problems with is the part where i would have to build an enclosure to fit the 6.5 upfront, which i will be going with. I dont know if i missed it, but what head unit are u sing and what size speakers did u go with the rears, any modifications with that also? is it true that they dont make stereo harness for our cars? so u kept the stock subs and didnt go aftermarket? one more dumb question, what is the MDF board that u were talking about?
Old 02-06-04, 01:32 AM
legendary
Racer

Originally posted by TrboDANDEE
aftermarket? one more dumb question, what is the MDF board that u were talking about?
MDF is particle board...processed wood, the stuff speaker boxes are made of
Old 02-06-04, 07:12 AM
96sc3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice, RSTSPEED, i really learned alot,.,. thanks
Old 02-06-04, 03:49 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by TrboDANDEE
haha, u practically took out your whole interior. I can do all that stuff, like changing out the speakers and taking out the interior panels, the only thing i will have problems with is the part where i would have to build an enclosure to fit the 6.5 upfront, which i will be going with. I dont know if i missed it, but what head unit are u sing and what size speakers did u go with the rears, any modifications with that also? is it true that they dont make stereo harness for our cars? so u kept the stock subs and didnt go aftermarket? one more dumb question, what is the MDF board that u were talking about?
Yea dude, you have to take at least one side out. You can't bend the back panel enough to get it out... well you can, but you'll break it. Anyways, I went with 6.5" JL Audio compents front and back (see sig below). They sound fantastic! - retail for $400 a set, but check out e-bay. I got them for half that. I am not using the stock sub, that got yanked a few months ago and I hooked up my 2 12"s and amp with a line-level converter. Since the rear speakers are factory components and the area where the OEM sub was is a big hole/port from the trunk, I cut a piece of MDF board in the shape of a semi-circle with a 12" diameter (crap, I think it was 12....) and screw that in where the OEM sub used to be and mounted my tweeters there. That way the sound from the will come through the sub grille. I didn't do a DIY for my HU install, but I'm going to try to do one because I have to take it back out (didn't know what wires were the antenna, but I do now). It's an old Pioneer, like $200 when I got it new 3 years ago. I got it because Pioneer pretty much has the best frequency range of the big names and it has 2 4 volt preamp outputs. Sounds awesome. About wiring harnesses - It's almost true... it depends on where you go, who you ask, and what you want to do. The harness I ended up using was a toyota harness that I THINK was for like a minivan or something; I don't remember. Anyways, I had almost everything I needed -didn't have the antenna lead, but I think that was it. And if I wanted to I think it had the speaker outputs, too. I'll check when I take it back out. I will also try to find the wrapper it came in and post the brand and everything. MDF board -Legendary beat me to it.

96sc3 -thanks man, I'm really glad I could give something back to CL!!

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 02-06-04 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-12-04, 10:07 AM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Great write up! I need to replace the front speakers soon, and I had no idea how to safely remove the door panels. Now I do. Thanks for your help!
Old 02-12-04, 04:58 PM
TrboDANDEE
Driver

sup man, i just bought an aftermarket Pioneer HU and i was wondering which toyota harness did you use for the adaptor? so with that harness, everything worked except for the power antenna which i could just hardwire from the HU to the factory harness? thanx in advance
Old 02-12-04, 10:41 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

WHOA! Great write up man. I don't even have an SC and I feel like I could go out and do it! Great post!
Old 02-13-04, 04:38 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Hey all:
Anyone who is putting 6.5" drivers up front needs to read this. In the post I said I used the stock enclosure and made a pattern to fit in it out of 1/2" MDF board... well, don't do that, lol. To use the same enclosure, get 1/4" (NOT 1/2") plywood, hardboard, or MDF. If you use 1/2", the driver sits too close to the door panel and hits it. I initially thought I somehow blew my speaker So anyways, it's just a heads up. Also, since I had to take the panels back of, I reinforced most of the broken plastic on the panel wth fiberglass. I would suggest you do the same (get a "fiberglass patch kit" at any local marine/boat/aquatic store).

Dandee -
I can't find the old wrapper, but I'm going to try to go to the shop where I got it and ask them to see another one. Problem is I'm leaving town today! Anyways, it's an "off brand" - i.e. you won't find it at Best Buys or Circuit City - and it has built-in RCA outputs. As for the antenna, I'm pretty sure that is all that it was lacking. I will be able to tell you next weekend (maybe next week) when I have the time to pull it back out and look.

Darius -
Thanks man! I spent a lot of time on this, so your praise is welcomed!

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 02-27-04 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-13-04, 10:22 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by RSTSpeed
Darius -
Thanks man! I spent a lot of time on this, so your praise is welcomed!
No Problem!
Old 02-13-04, 10:40 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Beautiful job!!!! Sticky'd and I'll also work it into the FAQ!
Old 02-16-04, 07:47 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Stank you smelly much, Dave!
Old 02-16-04, 10:45 AM
TrboDANDEE
Driver

RSTSpeed: do you remember which 2 out of 4 factory radio harness u used for the aftermarket radio? also, where did u get the wiring diagram to wire up the radio? im trying to install mine, but im kinda stuck on the wiring part...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=110565
Old 02-16-04, 11:27 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

I only used one plug; it had RCA connectors on it, too. I THINK THINK THINK it was this one, I will look it up in my folder when I get home. I don't remember the site where I got the wiring diagrams, but I should have that in my binder as well.
Attached Thumbnails Speaker Install - "How-To" with TONS of pics!! SC3/400-scradio-3.jpg  
Old 02-16-04, 11:38 AM
TrboDANDEE
Driver

thanx again, that will really help me out. this is where the adaptor harness plugs to....
Attached Thumbnails Speaker Install - "How-To" with TONS of pics!! SC3/400-scradio-3.jpg  
Old 02-16-04, 01:36 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

What are you running off of the blue plug? I'm just curious cuz I didn't use it. Maybe that's why I have no antenna, lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speaker Install - "How-To" with TONS of pics!! SC3/400