I basically have all the parts in mind for my carputer,

I want a Flush mounted Dash Touchscreen 6"-7"LCD - like RMMGS4 has
The screen must have a VGA out like this - VGA TouchScreen

The PC will be running Windows XP Pro
Mini ITX Motherboard(EPIA M10000)
512Meg Ram
80Gig Harddrive for my MP3's, DVD,GPS Software
onboard sound/video
Windows based GPS System(not sure which on yet)
FM RadioTuner card
CarPC Power Suppy [Info Here

My 2 Questions are:
Can the sound from the PC(the sond card will have line outputs) hook up to the stock lexus AMP(I have the Poineer system 2000GS) cause i would like all the sound coming out from my CarPC to come out of my stock speakers

and

Would i be able to use the stock antenna wire and hook it up to my FM tuner card in my pc

sorrry for so many questions just want to know if this can be all done if not what modifations would have to be done as far as the stock amp and antenna goes

I just came across mp3car.com it has alot of info about carpc's just that no one there is familier with the lexus GS stock system,

There are also alot of FREE CarPC Software that you can use
Click Here

You can download them and try them out
Old 01-26-04, 04:16 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need some Info for a CAR PC in a GS

Originally posted by CaMsGS3
Can the sound from the PC(the sond card will have line outputs) hook up to the stock lexus AMP(I have the Poineer system 2000GS) cause i would like all the sound coming out from my CarPC to come out of my stock speakers

Yes, but you need a 4PDT relay. You can cut your CD changer L +/- and R +/- wires (you must have a magazine in the changer to work though) and use the relay to control what the source is. I'm doing this with my DVD player and it works great.

You have to select CD on the audio system.

This is done on a 99 NAV system...

Tim
Old 01-26-04, 08:13 PM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

Hey Tim,

how is your DVD player hooked up? (RCA PLUGS)

would this relay have rca inputs?if not what would it have?

And when you said "You have to select CD on the audio system"
My Audio(mp3s,dvds,FM radio) will be playing from my computer, (NO head unit)-just a VGA 7"touchscreen in the dash

i would just want my computer sound to be outputed to the stock speakers-im guessing through the amp somehow
Im new to all this audio stuff, so im not sure

so u have NAV and when u want to watch a DVD you hit the CD button on the radio and that launches the DVD player?

thanks - sorry for all the ???
Old 01-27-04, 02:19 PM
kola
Driver

hey cam, i think it would be easier if you use a modded xbox instead of a pc; much smaller (can fit in stock cd changer), can replace with bigger hard drive and be able to put on there mp3, divx, movies, dvd, and games.
Old 01-27-04, 03:31 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Need some Info for a CAR PC in a GS

CaMsGS3

Can you keep us posted on how this all works out.

Thanks.
Old 01-27-04, 03:49 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Hey Tim,

how is your DVD player hooked up? (RCA PLUGS)

DVD video hooked up to NAV screen, sound through RCA plugs into switched inputs on relay.

would this relay have rca inputs?if not what would it have?

Yes, I bought some signal wire and RCA ends and just fabricated RCA inputs to the relay.

And when you said "You have to select CD on the audio system"
My Audio(mp3s,dvds,FM radio) will be playing from my computer, (NO head unit)-just a VGA 7"touchscreen in the dash

i would just want my computer sound to be outputed to the stock speakers-im guessing through the amp somehow
Im new to all this audio stuff, so im not sure

Oh, I see. I'm sorry, I thought you meant as another AUX type input. Then its even easier for you, just use the main HU signal to the amp to input your signal, you don't even need a relay (if you are removing your HU). Be careful what output you use from your sound card though...

so u have NAV and when u want to watch a DVD you hit the CD button on the radio and that launches the DVD player?

Not quite, When I want to watch DVD's, I have to switch the video relay, and then I have to switch the audio relay. If I want to hear anything, I have to make sure that the amp is switched to CD (since switching is done internal to the amp), and then I can hear tracks from the DVD player (or MP3's, since most DVD players now decode MP3's).

thanks - sorry for all the ???
No prob...only hope I am helping???

Tim
Old 01-27-04, 04:17 PM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by kola
hey cam, i think it would be easier if you use a modded xbox instead of a pc; much smaller (can fit in stock cd changer), can replace with bigger hard drive and be able to put on there mp3, divx, movies, dvd, and games.
Yea i thought about that, the Modded xbox is great - i have 2 of them in my house 120GB Harddrive with about 50 xbox games,MP3s,DVD,etc.............

The main problem is that a modded xbox cant run a windows OS YET, and my whole sound system would be controlled through windows More Info and can downlaod a demo here towards the end of the page you will see a link to DL a demo of a carPC in action

You can also use windows GPS software and just mount the receiver on the roof/back window?
AND this link HERE shows you all the custom sofware you can use to intergrate all your windows MP3 players,DVD,GPS software soo when your carPC loads up all you see is this(of couse you can make your own skins-this happens to be someones who drive a BMW, but can be made into anthing you want) and remember this can all be touchscreen if you choose to lay out the extra cash!!!
Attached Thumbnails Need some Info for a  CAR PC in a GS-menu.jpg  

Last edited by CaMsGS3; 01-27-04 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-27-04, 04:30 PM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

Tim,

thanks for all the info
Dam this is all confusing

See if im on the right track......

I would remove the stock HU- use the main HU signal to the amp to input my signal, i wouldnt need a relay then?
Old 01-27-04, 04:37 PM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

Default Re: Need some Info for a CAR PC in a GS

Originally posted by RX469
CaMsGS3

Can you keep us posted on how this all works out.

Thanks.
Sure I just hope someone else wants to do this mod, this can defenitly be done the people at mp3car.com have them w/no problems.......just that no one there done it with a GS, trying to get the sound figured out is the hard part i think!!

And believe me PC size wont be a problem you go with a mini-itx board very low on power too
check this out its a PC inside a Windows XP Retail Box
More Mini Projects HERE
Attached Thumbnails Need some Info for a  CAR PC in a GS-windowsxpbox0001l.jpg  

Last edited by CaMsGS3; 01-27-04 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-27-04, 05:05 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Tim,

thanks for all the info
Dam this is all confusing

See if im on the right track......

I would remove the stock HU- use the main HU signal to the amp to input my signal, i wouldnt need a relay then?
Yep. But make sure you keep the output of the sound card within the levels of the output of the HU...in other words, you might not want to use the headphone/speaker output of the sound card, but rather the line out. If you do that, then you will probably lose the software capability of increasing/decreasing your volume. Maybe not, all I'm saying is, check your levels. You may very well clip your signal...???

Also, one thing I'm not mentioning...and I'm not even sure its a problem...is that if you don't have a HU, other functions might not work (ie, volume is done electronically...I don't know what happens if there is no communication from the HU, using the factory amp...etc...??? You may have to keep the PCB of HU hooked up, but in a discrete location, with the volume at a certain level, and never have to change it...

Should be easy to test though...

Tim

Last edited by TimDimman; 01-27-04 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-27-04, 05:52 PM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by TimDimman
Yep. But make sure you keep the output of the sound card within the levels of the output of the HU...in other words, you might not want to use the headphone/speaker output of the sound card, but rather the line out. If you do that, then you will probably lose the software capability of increasing/decreasing your volume. Maybe not, all I'm saying is, check your levels. You may very well clip your signal...???

how would i check levels - i guess just seeing if it sounds right??

"clip your signal" ?????

Originally posted by TimDimman
Also, one thing I'm not mentioning...and I'm not even sure its a problem...is that if you don't have a HU, other functions might not work (ie, volume is done electronically...I don't know what happens if there is no communication from the HU, using the factory amp...etc...??? You may have to keep the PCB of HU hooked up, but in a discrete location, with the volume at a certain level, and never have to change it...

should be easy to test though...
[/B]
Ohh yea I didnt think of that, i thought u can just control the volume through windows, since im getting sound output through the speakers i should be able to control the volume
Old 01-27-04, 06:39 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Phil,
I responded to your PMs with my advice, but I will respond here on the forum with other discussions so that others can participate.

Ohh yea I didnt think of that, i thought u can just control the volume through windows, since im getting sound output through the speakers i should be able to control the volume
So are you saying that you are going to control volume on a menu on the screen? I assume this is a touch screen?

Assuming you are not going to use the factory head unit, because you will need the space to accomodate a monitor, then another alternative would be to just discard the factory amp and install an aftermarket amplifier. Typically I would suggest one that has 4.1 channels if you want to utilize the front / rear fader plus control the factory sub output level.

Does the PC card only have stereo outs? If yes, then comes another dilemma of how to control a 4 channel amp with sub outs.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-27-04 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-27-04, 08:03 PM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

Glen,
My sound card will have 7.1 sound outputs(can do 4.1 i think)
USB CARD INFO

how bout if i go with a 4.1 sound card would that be better

Yea it will be a touch screen, the carPC software will have volume controls on the screen w/ mute touch button

So the aftermarket amplifier will hook up to my stock AMP?
here is a pic on the back of the USB sound card, would this work?
Attached Thumbnails Need some Info for a  CAR PC in a GS-easyconnect.gif  

Last edited by CaMsGS3; 01-27-04 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-27-04, 08:05 PM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

Here is the front of the unit
Attached Thumbnails Need some Info for a  CAR PC in a GS-29-102-167-02.jpg  
Old 01-27-04, 09:42 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Phil,
I have more questions then answers.

1. From the little information I could find on the Creative site, this USB sound card looks like it will only play 5.1 or 7.1 if you are playing a DVD or a game with surround encoding. If you play a stereo 2 channel source such as the radio or CD, you will ONLY hear your left and right front speakers , not even the sub will work, meaning very little to no bass. I would look for something that explains whether this unit will decode a stereo input to a simulated 5.1 channel output. I did not see anything in the specs about this. You should go to a real store and look / play with this set up to verify what I am asking. I could be wrong about this, but unless I have more and better information / specs than what has been provided, I will err on the side that assumes I am right till proven wrong. I doubt that this sound card will work well for stereo inputs, but I could be wrong.

2. The system will work in 5.1, but you have a 4.1 set up, which again, I could not find any info saying if the sound card can be switched to 4.1 mode. If it only works in 5.1, then you would need to get 5.1 channels of amplification and a center channel. That would be another dilemma to find a location to install a center channel speaker.

3. What are the audio outputs on the sound card, they do not appear to be RCA. I cannot tell from the pics you posted, but I only see 3 jacks for the 5.1 outputs the card is supposed to provide.

4. Is that a master volume control on the unit. Is this going to be how you will control the volume, or is there a volume control interface built into the touch screen software?

As far as the car audio interface issues, I can help you out, but I don't know enough about PC peripherals to answer all of your or my questions. Do you know of a proven set up that someone else has installed in a car?

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-27-04 at 09:58 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need some Info for a CAR PC in a GS