Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Best Amplifier: what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-04, 05:20 AM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Percy
Best SQ sub that they USED to make was from Velodyne....haven't touched any others in quite a while. When these were around, NOBODY could touch you in terms of SQ.

Percy
Yeah, Percy I have been reading up on your pamphlet on the GS audio, has a lot of very useful info.

I'm thinking about just forking out the money for the Zapco Comp amps, they look beautiful and they are said to be one of the best....

Subs, I have heard now Eclipse aluminum or Focal Utopia.

Most likely will be going with focal Utopia components, but not sure about subs....
Old 12-16-04, 06:29 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally posted by Blue98Gs3
Yeah, Percy I have been reading up on your pamphlet on the GS audio, has a lot of very useful info.

I'm thinking about just forking out the money for the Zapco Comp amps, they look beautiful and they are said to be one of the best....

Subs, I have heard now Eclipse aluminum or Focal Utopia.

Most likely will be going with focal Utopia components, but not sure about subs....
I also have Zapco amps sitting in my garage waiting to be installed when I have some funds to spare.

I have not bought subs yet, however I have heard some very good things about Focal Utopia Subs in 11 and 13 inch variety.
Old 12-16-04, 11:58 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Focals are amazing quality subs. They are not loud but they sound so smooth and natural.
Old 12-16-04, 12:22 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by retrodrive
Focals are amazing quality subs. They are not loud but they sound so smooth and natural.
Hmmm.... Well I kinda want a decently loud sub. Do you think 3 13" focals would be as loud as my 2 12w6's?

I just went and listened to some Eclipse, going back with a couple test tracks, but they sound very nice, and they are also loud.
Old 12-24-04, 01:59 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Still wondering if you guys think 3 13" Focal subs would be as loud as my 2 JL W6 subs?

Also, would you guys still recomend the Zapco Reference series as good quality amps? I have heard nothing but good things about Zapco, but I can't stand to spend that much on the Competition series.

I love my music, but I am not a true audiophile.
Old 12-24-04, 02:25 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue98Gs3
I love my music, but I am not a true audiophile.
I like your honesty in that statement, but if you sprung for the competition Zaps, you never know if you would become more of an audiophile ! I think for a lot of people as they get older, loud gets played out and cleaner sound starts to take on more of a priority. Just depends on where you are at in the audio portion of your taste. I love pumping up the volume too, but I am more impressed by SQ over DB.

That said, you can't go wrong with Zapco Reference or Competition series.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 12-24-04 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-24-04, 02:35 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
I like your honesty in that statement, but if you sprung for the competition Zaps, you never know if you would become more of an audiophile ! I think for a lot of people as they get older, loud gets played out and cleaner sound starts to take on more of a priority. Just depends on where you are at in the audio portion of your taste. I love pumping up the volume too, but I am more impressed by SQ over DB.

That said, you can't go wrong with Zapco Reference or Competition series.
Very true, I have gotten to a point now where I like to pump the volume up and hear all the different sounds in the music. Of course, I am also 17 so loudness is also what everyone is into.
Not that I am trying to compete with everyone, I find myself telling the other retards at my school with huge subs what is the point when you cant listen to it without blowing your eardrums?
I have also shied away from Rap, and the big bass deal, i like to hear the guitars, the drums, ect.

I would honestly love to get the competition series, because the mono amp and the 4-channel has exactly the power levels I want with the subs and speakers I plan on upgrading to.

I guess it all depends on how much money I end up with. I might just not upholster the whole car in suede or not get screens.

Hrmmm.... Do you have any experience with subs? I am torn between Focal subs and Eclipse subs, I like my bass, but I also like the SQ. In this sense is why I went with W6's, instead of the boomy W7's.

I'm either thinking of 3 12" eclipse or 3 13" focals....

Well looking through some classifides, I think I can actually afford those suckers, yaaay!

Last edited by Blue98Gs3; 12-24-04 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-27-04, 11:30 PM
braheem
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW, I've been looking at this thread for the past few weeks and just realized it was started by CamRen
Old 12-28-04, 12:02 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue98Gs3
Very true, I have gotten to a point now where I like to pump the volume up and hear all the different sounds in the music. Of course, I am also 17 so loudness is also what everyone is into.
Not that I am trying to compete with everyone, I find myself telling the other retards at my school with huge subs what is the point when you cant listen to it without blowing your eardrums?
I have also shied away from Rap, and the big bass deal, i like to hear the guitars, the drums, ect.

I would honestly love to get the competition series, because the mono amp and the 4-channel has exactly the power levels I want with the subs and speakers I plan on upgrading to.

I guess it all depends on how much money I end up with. I might just not upholster the whole car in suede or not get screens.

Hrmmm.... Do you have any experience with subs? I am torn between Focal subs and Eclipse subs, I like my bass, but I also like the SQ. In this sense is why I went with W6's, instead of the boomy W7's.

I'm either thinking of 3 12" eclipse or 3 13" focals....

Well looking through some classifides, I think I can actually afford those suckers, yaaay!
The Focals have a good rep. for SQ at a small trade off for SPL. With three of them I can't say you will be hurting in the SPL dept. tho. If you're gonna do it right then make sure to utlize the appropriate enclosure volume for 3 Focals.

I think retrodrive could suggest what the optimum volumes should be.
Old 12-28-04, 08:14 AM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
The Focals have a good rep. for SQ at a small trade off for SPL. With three of them I can't say you will be hurting in the SPL dept. tho. If you're gonna do it right then make sure to utlize the appropriate enclosure volume for 3 Focals.

I think retrodrive could suggest what the optimum volumes should be.

Very true, probably 3 of whatever sub would be enough SPL. If I get this new system, the entire trunk will be fiberglass, so I will make sure its the right volume.

I'm thinking about the Eclipse Aluminum subs, I have been reading a large number of audio forums, and they are supposedly awesome subs, and not nearly as pricey as the Focal subs...
Old 01-03-05, 01:25 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Thumbs up Best Amplifier: what do you think?

Hey, where's Alpine on this list?

Alpine rocks in my books!
Old 01-07-05, 02:59 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

JL is definitely the best bang for the buck...but if you have no budget. ..then zapco, macintosh, sinfoni are great amps!
Old 01-20-05, 04:23 PM
antbo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

autotek MX series. bang for your buck. but there pretty huge though. i got an older one mx-1300 it weighs about 25 pounds and its about 2' x 14"
Old 01-20-05, 05:52 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by antbo
autotek MX series. bang for your buck. but there pretty huge though. i got an older one mx-1300 it weighs about 25 pounds and its about 2' x 14"
Hehe, exactly what I have now. Damn good amps, and very little known too.

Mx-5000 for the subs, pushes 3000w at 1 ohm, and my 4500 pushes 75 watts by 4 channels.
Old 01-20-05, 08:05 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

My $.02, just purchased two amps for installation into my Infiniti... Polk Carbon C500.1 Mono amp to power subwoofers and Polk Carbon C400.4 4-channel amp for the rest... should be going into the car in the next few weeks, still waiting on some stuff to arrive...

Quick Reply: Best Amplifier: what do you think?