20.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Best Amplifier: what do you think?

Old 11-24-03, 08:29 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by retrodrive
Eeeing the results I'll tell you right now that Zapco is a better amp then JL in every way. Thats not an opinion either. I personally know quite a few people who switched and I got to tune the system.
I wish I would of had you to help me tune today.

The HU has so many adjustments and the amps too. I had to read and re-read the manual to figure out some of the modes available. Parametric EQ with 10 different bands, 24db slopes, six section x-over, time alignment with millisecond delays, blah blah blah.....it was a PITA.

I got my code from Eclipse today and got my HU up and running. When I first powered it up, it sounded like puke. I had to literally start all over again.

I've got it close enough for gov't work right now, but I may go back out in the garage tonight and play with it some more. The wife will probably come and lock me outside, but I don't care. It was driving me insane today when it sounded like a cracker jack box when I KNEW it didn't sound like that before. I was glad to get it back "on the paper" again.

BTW, Zapco products are pretty good. I met the chief engineer years ago at the big CES show here in Atlanta. I went to a seminar which he spoke and explained, sometimes way over my head, the design behind the then "new" amp series. He used to be with PPI before starting Zapco.
Old 11-25-03, 04:15 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 196 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally posted by retrodrive
If you want a zapco 4ch I would go with Zapco C2K 4.0. That thing puts out good 100x4 RMS and stays within it's specs. Now if you are going with Dynaudios I would mate them with Macintoch. For some reason Dyns sound better on Macintoch (IMO smooth speakers somewhat harsh and precise amp) and Focals sound Better on Zapcos (vice versa). Dyns will sound very good on Zapcos also though.
Thanks Retro!!

Which model of Focals would you recommend purchasing to go with the zapcos to replace my component speakers?

Is this a good set of Focals?

I did a search on ebay and there is not one single Zapco C2K 4.0 amp for sale............... Any other amp you would recomend or know where I can get the Zapco you recommended?

Last edited by Hameed; 11-25-03 at 05:02 AM.
Old 11-25-03, 09:11 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Currently I have 2 JL audio 300/2 powering my dyn's and it sounds good to me. I've never heard MCintosh or zapco so I have no basis of comparison. But so far the jl amps work good for me.
Old 11-25-03, 03:23 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you can, get a good Real Time Analyzer and a test disc with "pink noise". Level off the adjustments there as a starter. This will save your ears many hours of fatigue! Then you can fine tune from there.

The RTA won't help with the time alignment though.

Percy

Originally posted by jmecbr900
I wish I would of had you to help me tune today.

The HU has so many adjustments and the amps too. I had to read and re-read the manual to figure out some of the modes available. Parametric EQ with 10 different bands, 24db slopes, six section x-over, time alignment with millisecond delays, blah blah blah.....it was a PITA.

I got my code from Eclipse today and got my HU up and running. When I first powered it up, it sounded like puke. I had to literally start all over again.

I've got it close enough for gov't work right now, but I may go back out in the garage tonight and play with it some more. The wife will probably come and lock me outside, but I don't care. It was driving me insane today when it sounded like a cracker jack box when I KNEW it didn't sound like that before. I was glad to get it back "on the paper" again.

BTW, Zapco products are pretty good. I met the chief engineer years ago at the big CES show here in Atlanta. I went to a seminar which he spoke and explained, sometimes way over my head, the design behind the then "new" amp series. He used to be with PPI before starting Zapco.
Old 11-25-03, 05:01 PM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

Go with 165W Utopia, will cost bit more than 165Ks but worth it...

That Zapco Amp that Retro recommended cost $1200..... at woofersetc.com

Originally posted by Hameed
Thanks Retro!!

Which model of Focals would you recommend purchasing to go with the zapcos to replace my component speakers?

Is this a good set of Focals?

I did a search on ebay and there is not one single Zapco C2K 4.0 amp for sale............... Any other amp you would recomend or know where I can get the Zapco you recommended?

Last edited by skpark70; 11-25-03 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-26-03, 12:00 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Focal is now updating their speaker lineup for 2004 meaning that all their current setups are on blowout sale. While Utopia have always been their top of the line setup, they are currently updating that also (could be another year). For now they have updated their Polykevlar line with revised woofer design and a new (TN52) tweeter. I am not sure about pricing on them but they could be same or close to the older Utopias you were looking at. Honestly...newer Polykevlars sound better then older Utopias and not just to me either. Look for them. Also ZApcos are not cheap...they are better amps but you have to pay for them.
Old 11-27-03, 08:13 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

i just orded a 1000watt mono memphis amp and also a 300a1 xtant amp, how are those???
Old 11-28-03, 03:22 AM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

I love Diamond Stuff too...they do sound great...the only thing is...i fried 3/4 of my voice coils on my Diamond TDX 12D4. I still dont know how i did it either....since i think im underpowering it...and i cant hear any distortion....but then again i am a master at blowing up speakers/frying amps...i tend to always do it...

Anyhow i am also running a set of s600s in the front and a set of m3 coax in the rear door powered by a D5 600.4 (i wish i had enuff for the D7)

i love the way the eclipse 8053 sounds (almost bought one) but....i think it looks like A$$....so i ended up with a Alpine CDA-7998....

but yea i think diamond audio makes some great stuff too
Old 11-28-03, 07:13 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks.

I'm still working on all the settings that the 8053 has to fine tune the system. The D7's are awesome. The TDX's are awesome, and the hex's are awesome too. I like my system.
Old 11-28-03, 12:51 PM
fudsnob
Driver School Candidate

I voted for Zapco, even though i own JL Audio amps. If price is no object, Zapco or McIntosh.
Old 11-29-03, 02:51 PM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

Is this thread Best amp for the $.............

TRU Technology C7T must pay to play
Old 11-29-03, 04:10 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by {-.-}
Is this thread Best amp for the $.............

TRU Technology C7T must pay to play
Never heard of it.
Old 11-29-03, 06:31 PM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

Originally posted by jmecbr900
Never heard of it.
yea ive never heard of them either
Old 11-29-03, 11:10 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I posted about them a while ago. They are one of the newest players on the market who already have quite top-notch reputation:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=98053
Old 11-30-03, 12:29 AM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

I like this one...........
Attached Thumbnails Best Amplifier: what do you think?-tru.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Amplifier: what do you think?