LC Model (2018-present)

LC500h w/ 354 HP

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-17, 11:46 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
other than the BMW i8, the LC500-H is the only sport coupe with a hybrid option.

I would say the i8 is the closest competition to the LC500-H both are hybrid, both are sport coupes, both are in the same price ball park. Both have nearly the same total HP rating (i8 is 357hp with both motors combined).

and I can't afford either.
I can see that.
Old 03-14-17, 12:26 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
I guess for me it's a question of how the flagship coupe will under perform their RC-F which as an NA car makes 467 HP. I was thinking more along the lines of Porsche's 918 whereas they used the hybrid technology to boost HP and performance. I mean apples to apples the LC500 is basically making as much HP as the RC-F, with GM pushing 650 plus HP in most of the their sports cars under 100k I personally had higher hopes for the LC500 thinking it'd be competing against Godzilla which is closer to its price point.
I guess if you're looking for cheap power, Z06, Hellcat, GT-R, etc can fill that need. The LC is a GT car. You're going to get way better build quality and refined driving than any of those others. Don't confuse "halo" with power. LC is the halo car for Lexus design and technology.

FWIW, The Huracan is faster than the Aventador, Aventador costs $150K more, and no one is complaining about it being slower.

I did just see there will be an RCh. 223hp, 8.6s 0-60. I doubt they'd bother bringing it to US. LCh looks pretty damn good in comparison.

Last edited by TimboIS; 03-14-17 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-22-17, 12:59 PM
Dwight047
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

354 HP is just a number... its all about the feel. This car is supposedly still capable of doing a 0-60 mph run in the mid 4's. Can't think of too many V6's that can say the same. The 5.0L V8 with over 100 HP more than the hybrid only does 0-60 in 4.4 seconds. Needless to say, this is not "just another hybrid".
Old 03-22-17, 01:29 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight047
354 HP is just a number... its all about the feel. This car is supposedly still capable of doing a 0-60 mph run in the mid 4's. Can't think of too many V6's that can say the same. The 5.0L V8 with over 100 HP more than the hybrid only does 0-60 in 4.4 seconds. Needless to say, this is not "just another hybrid".
Yeah I totally get all that. Just saying I thought it was a little low given the addition of an electric motor. Just like a Lotus that's as light as a feather without the monster HP number.
Old 03-22-17, 01:32 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Its 354 but designed to perform more similarly to the v8 in terms of acceleration.
Old 03-22-17, 01:56 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

354hp is respectable given the powertrain specs IMO. It's an NA V6 (on Atkinson cycle I presume) with an electric motor. The V6 is good for ~300hp itself and adding the electric motor into the equation gives you the combined number of 354. Lexus is using tried and true hybrid technology here and further advancing it (4 speed transmission for example) so it cannot be compared to the likes of the Porsche 918 or the Acura NSX since those are turbocharged and hybridized and geared for sheer performance. Compare their prices to the LC and that becomes even more apparent. Lexus prides themselves in refinement, performance, and luxury, and I think the hybrid is the pinnacle of all three. It represents what Lexus is all about.

Now Lexus BETTER bring the heat with the LCF.
Old 03-23-17, 08:01 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
354hp is respectable given the powertrain specs IMO. It's an NA V6 (on Atkinson cycle I presume) with an electric motor. The V6 is good for ~300hp itself and adding the electric motor into the equation gives you the combined number of 354. Lexus is using tried and true hybrid technology here and further advancing it (4 speed transmission for example) so it cannot be compared to the likes of the Porsche 918 or the Acura NSX since those are turbocharged and hybridized and geared for sheer performance. Compare their prices to the LC and that becomes even more apparent. Lexus prides themselves in refinement, performance, and luxury, and I think the hybrid is the pinnacle of all three. It represents what Lexus is all about.

Now Lexus BETTER bring the heat with the LCF.
I think we can all agree on the luxury/performance meter here; it's quite balanced and good. The only sticking point really is the MSRP. Come on...100K? A 650i Coupe is at the same pricing point with 100 more HP and you get the V8. If anything, LC500 needs its price re-adjusted because it's now in direct conflict with RC-F.
Old 03-23-17, 09:16 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by mk416
I think we can all agree on the luxury/performance meter here; it's quite balanced and good. The only sticking point really is the MSRP. Come on...100K? A 650i Coupe is at the same pricing point with 100 more HP and you get the V8. If anything, LC500 needs its price re-adjusted because it's now in direct conflict with RC-F.
yeah I'm going to toss this out there, once the LC is in dealerships we will be hearing the RC is being discontinued. As soft as the sales are and as bad as the resale appears to be, I believe Lexus will be discontinuing the RC model, at the very least the RCF to make way for the LCF, I don't see Lexus carrying 2 "F" models in their lineup.
Old 03-23-17, 09:29 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

yeah I'm going to toss this out there, once the LC is in dealerships we will be hearing the RC is being discontinued. As soft as the sales are and as bad as the resale appears to be, I believe Lexus will be discontinuing the RC model, at the very least the RCF to make way for the LCF, I don't see Lexus carrying 2 "F" models in their lineup.
Wow, you couldn't be any more wrong, and counter that. (1) $45K RC and $90K LC are in no way competing with each other (price, size, prestige, comfort, etc). Same way 4 series and 6 series don't really compete with each other. (2) RC won't be dropped. (3) Lexus already has two F models (RCF and GSF) and likely to add more. Just like M and AMG are across the entire lineup. If there is an LCF, it will be much more money than RCF (likely $130K+ vs $80K RCF), again likely not in competition. If the RC F isn't selling well, that's because of other reasons (weight, price, etc).
Old 03-23-17, 09:47 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Wow, you couldn't be any more wrong, and counter that. (1) $45K RC and $90K LC are in no way competing with each other (price, size, prestige, comfort, etc). Same way 4 series and 6 series don't really compete with each other. (2) RC won't be dropped. (3) Lexus already has two F models (RCF and GSF) and likely to add more. Just like M and AMG are across the entire lineup. If there is an LCF, it will be much more money than RCF (likely $130K+ vs $80K RCF), again likely not in competition. If the RC F isn't selling well, that's because of other reasons (weight, price, etc).

There was an article a month or so ago about the LCF being priced around $180K I believe.
There was also a recent article about the GS line being dropped. Whether it holds true or not is yet to be seen.

I stand by my statement, I suspect by 2019/2020 the RC coupe will be discontinued.. If it still has soft sales and horrible resale when it is up for a refresh, it is likely to be dropped.
Old 03-23-17, 04:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

There was an article a month or so ago about the LCF being priced around $180K I believe.
There was also a recent article about the GS line being dropped. Whether it holds true or not is yet to be seen.

I stand by my statement, I suspect by 2019/2020 the RC coupe will be discontinued.. If it still has soft sales and horrible resale when it is up for a refresh, it is likely to be dropped.
You have to take what you read from publications that are not Lexus Official with a grain of salt. The GS is absolutely going to have a 5th generation (program code 300B) on the latest GA-L platform 2019. This image was provided by cmk1 in Car Chat.

Old 03-23-17, 04:22 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
You have to take what you read from publications that are not Lexus Official with a grain of salt. The GS is absolutely going to have a 5th generation (program code 300B) on the latest GA-L platform 2019. This image was provided by cmk1 in Car Chat.

well that's good news for GS guys.

I still think the RC is on the short bus though..
Old 03-23-17, 06:06 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well that's good news for GS guys.

I still think the RC is on the short bus though..
No it's not. RC is getting at least one more chance on the new platform as well. Lexus is very well aware of the hardtop RC shortcomings and compromises needed to be made in order to keep the convertible in it's lineup.
Old 03-23-17, 06:47 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Wow, awesome, I missed the thread where this discussion took place, can you point me in the right direction?

That means we should see a 5GS concept sometime later this year.... Lexus needs to go higher tier with 5GS, 4 door coupe...
Old 03-24-17, 10:28 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Wow, awesome, I missed the thread where this discussion took place, can you point me in the right direction?

That means we should see a 5GS concept sometime later this year.... Lexus needs to go higher tier with 5GS, 4 door coupe...
But another Gran Coupe...?

Quick Reply: LC500h w/ 354 HP