Question about the College Grad Discount

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-15, 08:27 PM
MoodyHank
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about the College Grad Discount

Hey everyone,

I read a lot of deals posted with the $1000 Lexus College Grad discount and I was wondering how strict Lexus Financial Services are on that one? Did anyone get that discount without satisfying all the criteria listed here:

https://www.lexusfinancial.com/pub/w...aduate_program

I got my MBA degree in May 2013 and I was wondering if exceeding the two year mark by one month would definitely rule out the College Grad discount for me...
Old 06-16-15, 10:47 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you ask LFS? If anything, you can try to negotiate it with the dealer. If not, walk out!
Old 06-17-15, 06:35 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MoodyHank
Hey everyone,

I read a lot of deals posted with the $1000 Lexus College Grad discount and I was wondering how strict Lexus Financial Services are on that one? Did anyone get that discount without satisfying all the criteria listed here:

https://www.lexusfinancial.com/pub/w...aduate_program

I got my MBA degree in May 2013 and I was wondering if exceeding the two year mark by one month would definitely rule out the College Grad discount for me...
Time constraint/deadline requirements for incentives are usually pretty well established and can't be changed or waivered. Normally, you must take delivery of the vehicle before the deadline passes. I'm afraid you may not be able to take advantage of this incentive. But who knows - doesn't hurt to try.
Old 06-17-15, 09:55 AM
BugginOuT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to thread jack

My wife is expected to graduate in December, I was planning to use her College Grad incentive, but does anyone know if the vehicle needs to be under her name in order to use it?
Old 06-17-15, 10:35 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BugginOuT
Sorry to thread jack

My wife is expected to graduate in December, I was planning to use her College Grad incentive, but does anyone know if the vehicle needs to be under her name in order to use it?
I'm guessing her name would need to be on the deal somewhere, but a call to Lexus Finance would probably give you a definite answer.
Old 06-17-15, 12:01 PM
Reeladdict
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well I know a "guy" who changed the date of his graduation in Photoshop of his diploma to meet the requirements. Saved him a grand
The following users liked this post:
davyjordi (10-29-22)
Old 06-17-15, 12:07 PM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Reeladdict
well I know a "guy" who changed the date of his graduation in Photoshop of his diploma to meet the requirements. Saved him a grand
Lol....... I know a "guy" that did this also.
The following users liked this post:
davyjordi (10-29-22)
Old 06-17-15, 12:09 PM
MoodyHank
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hahah so anyone with some killer photoshop skills willing to help me? Just kidding...
Old 06-17-15, 12:22 PM
youngwhon
Driver School Candidate

So when I got my IS, I didn't have my diploma on hand so they just asked me to fax it to them when I got it. Also, negotiate on the price of the car before mentioning the grad discount. Worked out well for me =)
Old 06-17-15, 12:49 PM
titleistek
Driver School Candidate

Default New grad

I used my wife diploma she graduated 2 years ago so we were within the 2 year time frame. Yes your wife will need to be on the lease with LFS. They will have to run her credit well. Also we negotiated the sale price then hit them with the $1000 new grad rebate and $500 Lexus IS rebate.
Old 06-17-15, 12:55 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm - nothing like a little bit of fraud to save a few bucks.
Old 06-17-15, 12:56 PM
titleistek
Driver School Candidate

Default Name on lease

Also if you use your wife's diploma then just put the car under her name. Don't put your name on the lease or allow the dealership to run your credit. Basically act as if she was buying the car by herself. Once everything is signed and you get your deal call LFS and ask to transfer the lease into your names. You have to pay $250 for the lease transfer so you have to decide if that's worth it. Basically LFS will send you an application, run your credit then, if approved then do the transfer. It has to be from one person to another person or business. If your name is on the original lease with your wife they can't transfer it to just your name. Weird I know.

Originally Posted by BugginOuT
Sorry to thread jack

Old 06-18-15, 09:02 AM
BugginOuT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by titleistek
Also if you use your wife's diploma then just put the car under her name. Don't put your name on the lease or allow the dealership to run your credit. Basically act as if she was buying the car by herself. Once everything is signed and you get your deal call LFS and ask to transfer the lease into your names. You have to pay $250 for the lease transfer so you have to decide if that's worth it. Basically LFS will send you an application, run your credit then, if approved then do the transfer. It has to be from one person to another person or business. If your name is on the original lease with your wife they can't transfer it to just your name. Weird I know.
Wife's credit is not all that great compared to mine, so I might end up co-signing for her if that's the case. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-28-22, 10:13 AM
Stephen99
1st Gear

Thanks for the details page.