IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Audi S3 - opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-15, 05:18 AM
roadwarrio
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

true, S4 is a different league than the IS model, but IMO a better vehicle to drive overall. The Reliabilty of the S4 vs. the IS in the long run maybe a deciding factor for some people.
Old 06-14-15, 10:50 AM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like the s3 has less hp than the 350 and the s4 has 333hp with 300 something torque. Less than 50 hp and torque increase? Is the trade off beneficial over something so miniscule? How long before you get bored of that car and trade it in for something else?

I understand if your going for a car in a different class like 400-500 hp car or a lexus gx or something for more room. But to trade this car for another car in the same class with similar features when your car has no problems? Not worth it at all imo.

Not to mention after you trade it in the money you lose and possibility of encountering problems.

I agree that once you get a taste of power you want more, but do it right. I came from a 150hp 4 cylinder daily into this car with double the numbers before i could see a difference. I dunno how life changing 30 hp and torque is gona be.
Old 06-14-15, 11:03 AM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Also i dont think the IS is great for children. I got a 2 year old and while it can seat him in there, its still a compact sedan. Just like ALL compact sedans, you will get your chairs kicked and require more effort everytime you want to swap car seats from car to car. If you put a full size stroller in the trunk dont expect much more room for much else. I only use the 20 dollar mini strollers in my IS.

If you dont mind that, then go for a compact car! Parking is easy with it!
Old 06-14-15, 11:09 AM
ExSrAaron
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sexis350
It looks like the s3 has less hp than the 350 and the s4 has 333hp with 300 something torque. Less than 50 hp and torque increase? Is the trade off beneficial over something so miniscule? How long before you get bored of that car and trade it in for something else?

I understand if your going for a car in a different class like 400-500 hp car or a lexus gx or something for more room. But to trade this car for another car in the same class with similar features when your car has no problems? Not worth it at all imo.

Not to mention after you trade it in the money you lose and possibility of encountering problems.

I agree that once you get a taste of power you want more, but do it right. I came from a 150hp 4 cylinder daily into this car with double the numbers before i could see a difference. I dunno how life changing 30 hp and torque is gona be.
Again, don't compare numbers between Audi/BMW's and Lexus vehicles. 50hp advantage is very noticeable in those cars. Even the S3 has a pretty wicked 0-60 time so I'd imagine it's also a big difference between the IS350. You'll eventually get bored of every car you have if you drive it enough (since you're someone who holds onto a car for 8-10 years).

Lexus played it safe with keeping the same-old power-plant for the 3rd gen. IS350. IF they would have taken the same risk (as they did with the styling) on the drivetrain/motor we would probably be having a different discussion. A new V6 or turbo V6 would have/be perfect, something with 350hp AND torque over 300. BMW and Audi have both used basically the same motors for years and years, and they continue to be superior to Japanese motors in most ways (hp, torque, gas mileage, etc). IMO, those motors are perfectly fine and offer almost the perfect amount of power for a daily driver. No need to change something that works great and pleases the masses.

And lets be honest, the styling of German cars is superior as well, unless you're a "Turning Japanese" kind of person. Hopefully Honda/Acura, and Toyota/Lexus get back on board with designing beautiful cars as they do make nice vehicles overall. Kia/Hyundai is currently making some great looking vehicles since they went "Euro."

Just a design engineer here speaking my mind.
Old 06-14-15, 11:18 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

I thought the S3 is front wheel biased even though it is AWD?
Old 06-14-15, 11:39 AM
roadwarrio
Rookie

In today's growing market, there's a niche auto manufacturers are trying to carve for themselves to inject new buyers into their entry level vehicles. Some like design more than others, and gear heads care about HP and torque.

I don't like to compare European against Japanese autos because each have their advantages and disadvantages. Choose what suits your needs and wants so you can enjoy your new car. If passenger space if a priority, why would you purchase an IS or 3 series or CLA?

Other non luxury segmented vehicles can provide the torque and HP you want, and hold multiple strollers, kids, and then some. IMO, fit and finish has improved for non luxury vehicles and are sometimes on par with those luxury brands. The difference, you pay more for the latter. ironic?
Old 06-14-15, 12:33 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Audi S3 - opinion?

Originally Posted by ExSrAaron
Again, don't compare numbers between Audi/BMW's and Lexus vehicles. 50hp advantage is very noticeable in those cars. Even the S3 has a pretty wicked 0-60 time so I'd imagine it's also a big difference between the IS350. You'll eventually get bored of every car you have if you drive it enough (since you're someone who holds onto a car for 8-10 years).

Lexus played it safe with keeping the same-old power-plant for the 3rd gen. IS350. IF they would have taken the same risk (as they did with the styling) on the drivetrain/motor we would probably be having a different discussion. A new V6 or turbo V6 would have/be perfect, something with 350hp AND torque over 300. BMW and Audi have both used basically the same motors for years and years, and they continue to be superior to Japanese motors in most ways (hp, torque, gas mileage, etc). IMO, those motors are perfectly fine and offer almost the perfect amount of power for a daily driver. No need to change something that works great and pleases the masses.

And lets be honest, the styling of German cars is superior as well, unless you're a "Turning Japanese" kind of person. Hopefully Honda/Acura, and Toyota/Lexus get back on board with designing beautiful cars as they do make nice vehicles overall. Kia/Hyundai is currently making some great looking vehicles since they went "Euro."

Just a design engineer here speaking my mind.
Looks are completely subjective. The 3 series are complete yawners right now and the a/s4 is really looking its age. The a/s3 to me is pretty ugly compared to its big brothers too. The IS is easily the best looking car right now in its segment. Yes I love that predator grill and all
Old 06-14-15, 12:50 PM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Oh the irony. People complain about lexus using dated reliable engines but are okay with bmws and audis same dated styling. I couldnt bring my self to a bmw dealership because their bmws look like the same cars from 10+ years ago! Two kidney grill and everyone has one. Like a played out song. Interior is just lol.. camrys are nicer than their interiors.

Audis are not as bad as bmw, still refreshing to see one every once in a while. Cant speak about interior but if its anything like bmw, bleh.
Dont need reliability either! Just trade in your car every 3 years!
Old 06-14-15, 12:53 PM
antonios32
Rookie

Originally Posted by kdphan
I'm deciding on a 3rd car for the family since we're expecting our 1st later this year.

not selling my Z4M coupe since i've always loved it and it's my 2nd time around owning it. Can't let go of it this time.

Wife drives the GS350 F sport
I will need a 2nd 4dr, so i've been looking at S3 and M3

M3 has been a bit difficult to find for a decent deal. So i'm almost giving up on it.

S3 on the other hand, i've been able to negotiate down to 11% off MSRP.

Has anyone test driven the S3 and how would you compare it to your IS350 F Sport?

I've driven the S3, but not for a long stretch and I seem to like it vs. the IS350 F sport. Not as luxurious compared to GS or IS IMO.

M3's look nice but the thing is that it is not reliable and it cost tons to get fixed. I would go with the S3. My dad has an S3 in Pearl White on Black and it is amazing but the only one problem is space. Im around 6 foot 3 so I wasn't very comfortable but if you're like my dad who is 5 foot 8 or 9 you should be fine. I would go with the S3 for sure!
Old 06-14-15, 01:23 PM
roadwarrio
Rookie

The Audi design has better curb appeal, compared to ultimate driving machine IMO. Lexus do look great, but all subjective. I don't about you, but in Ontario, the caveat is the lack of dealers, and higher prices. There is less competition between dealers, and less deals to be had, compared to Florida. Not many here can afford to change vehicles every 3 years.
Old 06-14-15, 02:53 PM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The S4 is the one to go with if you are needing a usable back seat and are also cross shopping cars in the price range of the M3. I walked out the door with a $57000 S4 for $49000. Thats only 5 grand more than the IS350. The S4 has true AWD as opposed to the S3 that is FWD biased. If you are shopping the S3 you may want to look at the VW Golf R as it has the same chassis and powertrain. But if you are looking for something that can accommodate a child seat i'd be looking at the S4. You really can't beat the instantaneous engine response of the roots supercharged v6 compared to the turbo 4 cylinder either. Not that the S3 isnt a great car but if you are stepping up from an IS350 id look at the S4. They are even leasing out at about the same price as S3s.

Mike
Old 06-15-15, 10:46 AM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lot's of people are talking about HP in this thread. Sure, the Audis might have a bit more HP, but that's not what makes such a big different - it's the torque. Not only more torque, but the fact the torque is available at much lower RPMS. Thus the cars will feel much more "punchy" when simply driving around town at normal RPM ranges and much quicker off the line as well. Torque really gives you that "pushed into your seat" feeling.
Old 06-15-15, 11:25 AM
kdphan
Driver

quick update:

I've decided to not go with the S3 since the lack of backseat space.

Now it's M3 vs. RS5.

RS5 because the overall package. Newborn will spend most of the time in the GS and RS5 as a backup if we do take it out for roadtrips.

M3 since the backseat is more usable and much more power.

Now, it's up to dealers to accept my offer prices.
Old 06-15-15, 05:09 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

This is a bit old, but still relevant.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s/viewall.html

All cars are AWD, except the Cadillac, for parity, which really puts the difference in power to light.

The S4 and 335 don't simply have 20-30 more hp. It's more like an additional 60 HP. Those 2 engines are really underrated.
Old 06-15-15, 09:40 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Infra
This is a bit old, but still relevant.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s/viewall.html

All cars are AWD, except the Cadillac, for parity, which really puts the difference in power to light.

The S4 and 335 don't simply have 20-30 more hp. It's more like an additional 60 HP. Those 2 engines are really underrated.
S4 is a beast. The IS350 AWD is slow. Must be of the additional weight.

Quick Reply: Audi S3 - opinion?