IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

So I have the 2015 IS 250 on loan....

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-15, 11:01 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Trying to be unbiased I came to several conclusions quickly on this loaner. But before I get to that let's go back to the 9am appointment.
Upon entering I was greeted by no one. Standing there I told my wife I'd go ton the men's room and be back quickly. Upon returning I see that she was being helped. Good. The application to fix the fuel lines under a recall was handled quickly and out the door they scooted us to the LOANER. Did a quick walk around and noticed some idiot had stenciled his initials into the front left driver side fender. Immediately the lady knew who did it. The previous kid who had the car as it was his initials. This won't end well I thought. The Lexus service lady was a bit upset understandably.
Getting in my wife put the seat^^UP^^ all the way and I noticed that it couldn't go any higher due to the head rest hitting the roof. Yes, she's a pixie. She favors the RX350 adjustability much more as in her words "you can see everything" when the seat is lifted all the way up. I have to agree. Being a passenger from the dealership to home allowed me a moment to reflect on the "waterfall" type arrangement of the dash. Still attempting to stay neutral I thought this could have been better accentuated if their were different textures or colors that highlighted certain aspects of the dash. As it was we were given the all black interior which made everything bland. The clock I really liked while the nav/entertainment seemed to be an afterthought. By having the nav screen be navigable by some joy stick it become a bit more impersonal than a touch screen. That seemed to me of Lexus having an don't get close to me attitude. As if you want Lexus to do something use a joy stick & don't touch me attitude.
Using the enform guidance system as SHARP static came into play. Highly annoying to say the least.
Making it home I took over and we decided to go to brunch. The ride is JARRING around city streets while highway was really nice. But around town that car transferred all the road bumps to the driver & passenger.
Even my adult daughter in back commented on how rough & stiff the ride was. Also entering and exiting became an acrobatic drill. I'm not a big guy coming in at a healthy 5'10 220 . As you can see in the photo it would become annoying very quickly trying toget in & out. THIS is why I got rid of the Mazda6. Too small of a driver door.

Gladly I'll be giving this car back and get into our big swinging door of IS350.
Wow - obviously not the vehicle for you - fortunately it was a loaner.

We love our 350 and are glad it's not a loaner.
Old 06-09-15, 03:49 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
I know the F30 has that option, plus its seats are already less wrapping than the 3IS's.
Nope. Never been in a F30. Cool to have. Racking my brain and I "see" it but just can't bring it up the car I was in that had that option. Grr...

[QUOTE=EZZ;9069843]The IS is a sports sedan. It should offer the firm but nimble handling experience. By the way, the IS is probably the most cushy of the cars in the segment. The GS is probably also going to be firm riding as it's supposed to also be a sports sedan.

The RX, ES, and LS fill the land boat cushy ride segment [/QUOTE]

Thank you! That's exactly my kind of ride.

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
I'd like to see him getting in and out of the back seat of that with the front seat not pushed all the way forward.
Ooo, that's just wrong. Lol
It's ugly. With the top down it's easy. While with the seats all the way forward and top up I have to become a contortionist to get out. Dislocate a few joints, then get out.
Old 06-09-15, 03:58 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

[QUOTE
Ooo, that's just wrong. Lol
It's ugly. With the top down it's easy. While with the seats all the way forward and top up I have to become a contortionist to get out. Dislocate a few joints, then get out. [/QUOTE]

At least you can put the top down!
Old 06-10-15, 07:50 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
You hit the nail on the head. The IS convertible is in fact a nice touring car while not as cushy as the RX it definitely isn't as harsh and choppy as this IS250. This has been my whole concern with Lexus creating the entire line as "Sport". If this vehicle is any indication of what the others in Lexus line up is going to be like then I have ZERO desire to own one. But you indicated that the ES is closer to the RX? Maybe the GS even? Hopefully the LS is a comfortable ride also. In the mean time I'll stick to my two babies. After this experience the IS350C offers a nice balance between sport and cruising. A great touring car.

However, I'd like to surprise her with a good new car and the ES or GS will be considered.
Troll. The IS, at least the non-F version, is a SOFT riding car. Sheesh. Go buy a Buick.
Old 06-10-15, 10:54 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dizlex
Troll. The IS, at least the non-F version, is a SOFT riding car. Sheesh. Go buy a Buick.
Lol. OK, well your certainly entitled to an opinion. It's only MY observation. Not a universal fact written in stone.
However, can you reach the same conclusion from a person driving a RX? If according to you the non F sport version is cushy what does that make the 2nd gen RX 350 or the 2nd gen IS350C I have? BTW this loaner only had 500 miles on it. Think that had something to do with it? I think it would be safe to say any "sport" oriented car with that little miles on it would be a bit stiff.
Old 06-11-15, 07:29 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by dizlex
The IS, at least the non-F version, is a SOFT riding car.
I have the non-F version and while I wouldn't consider it harsh, it's definitely not soft. That's what my RX is for.
Old 06-11-15, 07:55 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts
Default So I have the 2015 IS 250 on loan....

Forgive my ignorance but does the non-F version feel the same as the F-Aport when both are in normal road?
Old 06-11-15, 10:11 AM
aIRpeACE
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's small yet very nimble
Old 06-11-15, 10:43 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
Forgive my ignorance but does the non-F version feel the same as the F-Aport when both are in normal road?
Haaa! All I can say of the non Fsport on smooth road is it brings a smile to your face. I can only imagine the F sport.
Old 06-11-15, 10:50 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
F-Sport has slightly more aggressive suspension, responsive steering and different gearing than non F-Sport to start with. F-Sport in Sport mode tighten things even more, and for the ones that have AVS, the suspension gets even tighter on Sport+ mode.
Old 06-11-15, 10:59 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by My0gr81
F-Sport has slightly more aggressive suspension, responsive steering and different gearing than non F-Sport to start with. F-Sport in Sport mode tighten things even more, and for the ones that have AVS, the suspension gets even tighter on Sport+ mode.
The steering and gearing is the same on F Sport and non-F Sport. The difference is all in the suspension.
Old 06-11-15, 12:42 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts
Default So I have the 2015 IS 250 on loan....

Originally Posted by JDR76
The steering and gearing is the same on F Sport and non-F Sport. The difference is all in the suspension.
Actually, the steering in Sport+ mode tightens up in F-Sport models.
Old 06-11-15, 01:00 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Actually, the steering in Sport+ mode tightens up in F-Sport models.
And it "tightens" in Sport mode on non F Sport models.
Old 06-12-15, 07:49 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

3IS rides way smoother than my 2IS, combine that with way mroe comfortable seats, its way better in terms of comfort yet it handles better. Mine has the VGRS which also retracts the steering wheel, that helps a lot when getting out. Dont think the base models have that feature
Old 06-17-15, 07:43 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I have the non-F version and while I wouldn't consider it harsh, it's definitely not soft. That's what my RX is for.
Well, compared to my E46 BMW with the optional sport suspension it sure feels soft. Not too soft, mind you. The handling trade-off, again compared to my BMW, is remarkably small.

Quick Reply: So I have the 2015 IS 250 on loan....