IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Grimmspeed License Plate Relocation Kit & F-Sport License Plate Frame Installed!

Old 05-27-15, 11:24 AM
MyFSport
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dnasians
Welcome to the club! Being in California, it's a godsend. To jsantos, the closest part of the plate sits about 5mm away from the bumper, but it's made from steel (not aluminum) so there's hardly any flex.

Thanks! I agree! After relocating the plate, now more people are noticing the spindle grill and my car gets more compliments than before. My coworker thought I installed a new grill. Lol!
Old 05-27-15, 11:31 AM
MyFSport
Rookie

Originally Posted by jsantos
btw yeah california sucks with its front plate laws. hopefully i can get away with it for a while since i dont have my plates in yet
Lol! Just try to get away with it and if you get pulled over, just ask for leniency from the cop, sometimes they let you off the hook if you don't have any priors, but after that, you may need to put it up because they won't let you get away with it the second time

I was pulled over for speeding before and talked my way out of a ticket. Lol!
Old 05-27-15, 11:43 AM
jsantos
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MyFSport
Lol! Just try to get away with it and if you get pulled over, just ask for leniency from the cop, sometimes they let you off the hook if you don't have any priors, but after that, you may need to put it up because they won't let you get away with it the second time

I was pulled over for speeding before and talked my way out of a ticket. Lol!
i actually just got a fix it (one headlight was out) in my previous car (rsx) before i bought the IS.

does anyone here know what i should do on my court date seeing as i sold the rsx already? or have any experience in this matter? i read online that i just have to show the release of liability and bill of sale to the sheriff
Old 05-27-15, 11:45 AM
MyFSport
Rookie

Originally Posted by jsantos
can you provide pics of on how far the license plate is from the car? i want to get an idea on how far it is. i dont want my license plate tapping my front bumper and scratching it
No pics right now but don't worry about it scratching your bumper. It is adjustable and I prefer to have it sit closest to the bumper and no scratch because there is still a gap/space between the bumper and the plate.
Old 05-28-15, 07:31 AM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

In CA, particularly in San Francisco, meter maids will give you a ticket for no front plate when you're parked! Il even if your meter is still valid.

Here is a top view of how close it is. The top is far, but the bottom is pretty close. As mentioned, it's pretty strong so unless you hit something, it probably won't touch the bumper.

For those that have installed it, are you able to mount it further to the side? I think I tried but the best I could do is an overlap of the grill.
Old 05-28-15, 07:43 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 325 Likes on 194 Posts

did you have to drill a hole through the cover? can't you just pull the square panel cover off?
Old 05-28-15, 08:02 AM
RocketG35
Intermediate

You can pull the cover off but that hole is pretty big. No one would see it unless you looked from this view, but it bothered me. Plus I didn't want a bunch of excess water and debris getting in.

Also here's a side view. Top sticks out much further than the bottom.
Old 05-28-15, 10:07 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by drbazing
Fair enough.

De jure vs De facto differences. There are so many new cars out there without one. From what I observed for many years. They really won't pull you over just because you don't have a front license, it's usually additional to something much bigger, like you said tint. Exhaust, lowering the car a lot, etc.
Unless you are in downtown LA or irvine.
Old 05-28-15, 10:32 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I tried mine on with and without the spacer, it fits just PERFECT without the spacer. It's hard to explain how perfect it fits.

I'll try to remember to snap a pic of the side view like you did of how it sits on the car after work.

Originally Posted by RocketG35
You can pull the cover off but that hole is pretty big. No one would see it unless you looked from this view, but it bothered me. Plus I didn't want a bunch of excess water and debris getting in.

Also here's a side view. Top sticks out much further than the bottom.
Old 05-28-15, 12:02 PM
RocketG35
Intermediate

I didn't want the bottom to rub against the bumper so I put the spacer on. I also put a piece of tape on the backside of the plate just in case it did rub. But it's pretty solid so it's probably not necessary.
Old 06-05-15, 09:51 AM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by new2jdm
Did Grimmspeed give you a club lexus discount?
There was a CL discount.......?

Has anyone had any experience going through a car wash with this? I know there is a disclaimer saying it can get caught on things in a car wash, but want to know if anyone has had any problems with this.
Old 06-05-15, 03:11 PM
MyFSport
Rookie

Originally Posted by anamynous
There was a CL discount.......?

Has anyone had any experience going through a car wash with this? I know there is a disclaimer saying it can get caught on things in a car wash, but want to know if anyone has had any problems with this.
Didn't have a problem with the car wash I go to. However, when I went to the dealership to get the oil change and complimentary car wash, they said they cannot wash it because they said the plate might get caught with the machine and damage the bumper. Although I highly doubt that that would happen because as I've said, the car wash I go to did not have a problem with it but I guess the dealership just want to save their asses just in case. Lol!
Old 06-05-15, 05:08 PM
alvinklee
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Didn't have a problem with the car wash I go to. However, when I went to the dealership to get the oil change and complimentary car wash, they said they cannot wash it because they said the plate might get caught with the machine and damage the bumper. Although I highly doubt that that would happen because as I've said, the car wash I go to did not have a problem with it but I guess the dealership just want to save their asses just in case. Lol!
Don't do the complimentary car wash, especially if its machine done as that will scratch your car!
Old 06-05-15, 10:33 PM
SDxray
Driver School Candidate

It really depends on how the rest of your car looks driving in CA. If your car looks like rice then the cops will hassle you. My last 2 cars I drove had no license plate on the front and I was never pulled over. Granted, I didnt have limo tint and they werent slammed to the ground either.
Old 06-05-15, 10:55 PM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the heads up!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grimmspeed License Plate Relocation Kit & F-Sport License Plate Frame Installed!