Help Me Decide - IS350 F-Sport v. 335x or Q50S Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-15, 11:52 AM
clerkp
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help Me Decide - IS350 F-Sport v. 335x or Q50S Hybrid

Hi all,

Currently cross-shopping an IS 350 F-Sport AWD against a 335x or Q50S. I have driven all three extensively. While I love the F-Sport, it is down on power compared to the others. I am looking at leasing strictly and at least in my region, pricing is relatively close with the BMW being the most expensive and the F Sport being the least. I think the F-Sport is the most fun of the 3 to drive but it would be the least powerful car I have owned in a while. The Q is a fine choice as well but the 39 month lease term is scaring me off. The hybrid is unique but I worry whether the eccentricities of the power train will get to me after a while. Previous cars are a 135 and S4 so I am used to torque on the demand whereas the F requires some work to get to the sweet spot.

For those that cross shopped these cars, why did you chose the Lexus? Do you regret the lack of power in the car? Money does matter and the F is probably going to be 80 less a month so that is part of the equation.

Thanks!
Old 05-26-15, 12:09 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Id go with the BMW 435 gran coupe instead of the 335. That thing is set on wheels
Old 05-26-15, 01:06 PM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Reading your post makes me want to think you want a 335x. Since you're strictly leasing, those cars in your list will be solid all around. What worries me is if you decide to buy out the lease, that will change your decision now.
Old 05-26-15, 01:17 PM
clerkp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drbazing
Reading your post makes me want to think you want a 335x. Since you're strictly leasing, those cars in your list will be solid all around. What worries me is if you decide to buy out the lease, that will change your decision now.
All things being equal, I prefer the 335 but the increased cost is an issue. My take is the power on the IS350 is its Achilles Heel but I'm trying to figure out if I'm placing too much importance on 0 to 60 times. As for lease/buy, no chance of a buy-out.
Old 05-26-15, 01:24 PM
CJW
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I chose the Lexus, but in hindsight, I wouldn't again.

The F-Sport's lack of options along with being the slowest car in the trio - I'd look at something else next time.

If pricing is close and it's a lease, BMW.
Old 05-26-15, 01:27 PM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Put better tires on the IS350, then maybe you can compare it better against the competition. I chose the IS350 F Sport mainly for it's aesthetics. Reliability is a plus, makes me think I'm going to buy her out at the end of the lease now.
Old 05-26-15, 02:17 PM
clerkp
Driver School Candidate

Pricing may not be that close which makes this tough. Probably $80 more a month. Doesn't seem like a lot but it adds up. As for tires, nothing could be worse than run flats and both BMW and Infiniti inexplicably provide them to you.
Old 05-26-15, 02:32 PM
EdoApero
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone who I know that owns the infiniti has been disappointed. I would go with the bmw. I think its definitely worth the extra 80 a month.
Old 05-26-15, 02:45 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, you say the F Sport is the most fun to drive. What makes that so for you? More fun or better 0 - 60 times, the choice is yours!
Old 05-26-15, 03:18 PM
FPerform
Driver

Coincidentally I recently went test driving with my brother, which included the cars OP listed as well as some others.

Honestly, I think the new C Class is the best in the segment, very refined and luxurious and the power is enough in the C300(more than enough in the C400).
Old 05-26-15, 03:18 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

If you plan to lease, the 335 is an awesome car. However, it doesn't drive as nice as the IS350 but the speed of the 335 is addicting. By no means does that mean the IS350 is slow... You'll get to illegal speeds in a blink of an eye so it depends on how you drive.

Btw, I purchased my Is350 and plan to keep until 100k. That heavily influenced my decision in the IS vs 3 series purchase consideration.
Old 05-26-15, 06:13 PM
ExSrAaron
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cross-shopped all of those vehicles before I leased a IS350 F Sport.

The 335 (m sport) is a superior vehicle and the margin between a Japanese/American and German vehicles is still quite large IMO. Maybe I'm biased because I've had BMW's in the past, but I truly think they're better enthusiast cars IF equipped right. I also think the 335 (m sport) is the most beautiful of all the comparable sedans. The ATS was not even close, and the Q50S is a nice car but the steering was strange. Infiniti did a good job with the Q50 and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to the appropriate shopper.

But here I am on a Lexus forum with a Lexus. The payment I have with my IS350 is very reasonable and low enough that I can accept not driving the BMW or Audi for the next year of my lease. Back to Audi/BMW/Mercedes after that though.

Ownership Experience (5200 miles):

Comfort is great, handles poor roads well for a sports sedan. Seats are excellent, probably my favorite part of the vehicle. The entertainment system is terrible, much worse than the idrive system. I don't even bother trying to use NAV, and even the bluetooth doesn't work now. Understeers like crazy on the track, but is very easy to drive and have fun with. 8 speed transmission is ok, but not nearly as nice as the BMW's. Engine is lacking power, needs more torque down low (insert BMW here). Tons and tons of other observations I could list, but most are already listed in previous threads.

Best of luck!

Last edited by ExSrAaron; 05-26-15 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-26-15, 08:43 PM
jsantos
Driver School Candidate

im not particular to german cars as i've worked in a body shop and majority of the cars that required major repairs were mostly german cars. but then again idk how the newer cars are now...

i was also between the lexus and the infiniti, but the one thing that turned me off on the inifiniti was the styling. i wasnt too fond of it.

get the lexus.. lol
Old 05-28-15, 07:48 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

i had a sleazy experience at the infiniti dealership. Q50S was a nice car that handled very well with great speed, but the interior wasn't up to snuff. if you think our infotainment system is bad in the lexus, that thing is another notch down from what's in our vehicles.
Old 05-28-15, 08:33 AM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I crossed shopped the ATS, Q50S Hybrid, TLX and the A/S3 before picking the IS350 F.

Q50S Hybrid has stronger power. The car pushes you back in your seat when you floor it on the freeway. But I felt like I was driving a big car - steering and interior was what made me feel this way. It just didn't feel as athletic/nimble to me during my test drive, and the interior was strangely too big. The IS automatically made me feel like a better driver, it felt sporty and planted. I do think this is because of the steering and overall size of the interior.

Also...
- Driver aid/safety/feature standpoint, the Q50 is better equipped. There's just more you can get (but you have to pay for it too).
- Exterior I do like the Q50- those headlights/front look pretty mean, and the car looks wide which is nice. Side profile is okay (carries the G theme).
- Interior: only okay. It's definitely a bigger car inside - the IS is small - its airy and probably more comfortable for 5 (better cup holder placement!). But the design is nothing special. It just feels less designed compared to the IS. IS is sporty, fresh (get that Rioja Red!) and has a modern style.
- Quality/ Reliability: it's a Toyota! Lexus has done a great job with materials/fit/finish. My G35 sedan never felt that special inside (some trim pieces never fit right), and had some mechanical problems probably about 7-8 yrs into its life. Hoping the IS does better.
- Resale: Hands down, the IS/Lexus brand trumps the Infiniti. I did a KBB on comparable spec/mileage G35/IS, and I think the IS was about 30-40% higher in value compared to the G35.

I had/have a G35 sedan for 13 years now. That was a great car for the time, but the Q50 doesn't seem to have stepped into those shoes very well. It isn't a drivers car - not as sporty, but instead feels more on the luxury end.

So if you're into sports vs luxury, and the other factors are important to you, I highly recommend the IS350 F-sport!

Quick Reply: Help Me Decide - IS350 F-Sport v. 335x or Q50S Hybrid