IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

I get hit by someone now my car is flooded

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-15, 06:43 AM
rxqd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I get hit by someone now my car is flooded

So I made a post a week ago about some kid hitting my car and low and behold fast forward today the whole of houston is flooded at least downtown and i can't access my car. I parked in garage and lets just say the nissan 350 on the bottom is up to its roof. Filed under my insurance now I want to know what is the extended of flood damage that makes it a totalled? I mean by my account if the 350 is that high i'm quite sure my car is flooded as well, and if the insurance say its not totalled flooded what can i do to trade it in?

this is seriously the worst string of bad lucks I have had

from a financial standpoint if its made flooded totaled how much would I get? I have about 16k left on my car from finance.

Old 05-26-15, 06:44 AM
rxqd
Rookie

note the 370/350z, and also how car the water is on the big trucks.
Old 05-26-15, 07:43 AM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow I am totally sorry to see that happen to you. I'm in Houston as well, but luckily the water didn't get up past 4 inches for me.

I hope everything works out for you - things has to take a turn at some point
Old 05-26-15, 08:33 AM
rxqd
Rookie

**** happens, i don't know what I did though for such bad karma, i do my job, i give out money change for people strange or needing a ticket to go home, i never do anything bad but **** happens.

My interest however is from a financial standpoint, I need advice legally or here-say, i had my 2015 lexus is f sport for less than 6 month

And I think I'm going to get out of lexus game, next car by the end of year is gonna be a S5 probably. I love lexus and my car but I just been through way too much on the car and the brand...
Old 05-26-15, 08:48 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,206 Likes on 956 Posts

From car insurance.com
Question: How do you know when to total a car from flood damage?

Answer: How a vehicle is determined to be a total loss from an auto accident, or flood, varies according to your state's laws as well as your car insurance company's guidelines.

In general a car is determined to be a total loss when:

It's so severely damaged it cannot be safely repaired;
It costs more than the worth of the vehicle to repair it; or
The amount of damage or cost of repairing the vehicle is too much according to state regulations or the insurer's guidelines for total loss.
If you made a comprehensive auto insurance claim for a car that was in a flood, it would certainly be totaled out by your car insurance company if mechanics say it's not repairable due to the extensive damage it received, or if the cost of repairing it is the same or more as the actual cash value (ACV) of the vehicle.

If instead a mechanic says the car is repairable, and the costs are under 50% the vehicle's ACV, then it will likely not be totaled out and instead fixed.

Once the damage to the vehicle reaches 50% or more, than it's up to the insurance company (abiding by state regulations) to determine if it will be totaled or not, based on the adjuster's assessment of the vehicle.

A flood damaged car can be tricky for insurance adjusters, and mechanics, to determine the extent of the damages it received. It may first appear to be minimal, but once repairs are started it may end up being declared a total loss due to extensive electrical damage, mold or other issues that are uncovered.

Unless your state has spelled out specific rules for totaling out a flood car, which most don't, it's left up to the guidelines of your car insurance company. For this reason, if your car were in a flood you would need to speak to your auto insurance provider about how they determine a flood car a total loss.

You can ask your insurer if the car were submerged to a certain degree underwater if they would automatically total it out or not. You can also ask what will happen if your car is repaired, but later rust or mold appears, what rights you have, under your policy, to make a supplemental claim for these issues.
Old 05-26-15, 09:52 AM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
From car insurance.com
Question: How do you know when to total a car from flood damage?

Answer: How a vehicle is determined to be a total loss from an auto accident, or flood, varies according to your state's laws as well as your car insurance company's guidelines.

In general a car is determined to be a total loss when:

It's so severely damaged it cannot be safely repaired;
It costs more than the worth of the vehicle to repair it; or
The amount of damage or cost of repairing the vehicle is too much according to state regulations or the insurer's guidelines for total loss.
If you made a comprehensive auto insurance claim for a car that was in a flood, it would certainly be totaled out by your car insurance company if mechanics say it's not repairable due to the extensive damage it received, or if the cost of repairing it is the same or more as the actual cash value (ACV) of the vehicle.

If instead a mechanic says the car is repairable, and the costs are under 50% the vehicle's ACV, then it will likely not be totaled out and instead fixed.

Once the damage to the vehicle reaches 50% or more, than it's up to the insurance company (abiding by state regulations) to determine if it will be totaled or not, based on the adjuster's assessment of the vehicle.

A flood damaged car can be tricky for insurance adjusters, and mechanics, to determine the extent of the damages it received. It may first appear to be minimal, but once repairs are started it may end up being declared a total loss due to extensive electrical damage, mold or other issues that are uncovered.

Unless your state has spelled out specific rules for totaling out a flood car, which most don't, it's left up to the guidelines of your car insurance company. For this reason, if your car were in a flood you would need to speak to your auto insurance provider about how they determine a flood car a total loss.

You can ask your insurer if the car were submerged to a certain degree underwater if they would automatically total it out or not. You can also ask what will happen if your car is repaired, but later rust or mold appears, what rights you have, under your policy, to make a supplemental claim for these issues.
I can't imagine that your car would not be totaled. All new electronics and an all new interior and probably a new engine or engine overhaul would easily run the bill up beyond what it's worth in my estimate. And, I don't think you'll want the car after that... I wouldn't. Start car shopping!

But between the kid hitting you and the flood, everything would be the same regardless of what car you owned....
Old 05-26-15, 10:02 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

sorry to hear. hope insurance takes care of all this for you
Old 05-26-15, 10:26 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,206 Likes on 956 Posts

RXQD, did you accept the check from the other guy's insurance for the bumper damage? I know I advised you not to take it. I don't judge, so if you took the check, you're ahead by that much money.
Don't tell your insurance company about the check.
It appears from my previous post you'll need to wait until your adjuster and/or mechanics look over the car. Waiting is no fun. But, the chances are that several hundred other drivers affected by the flood who are insured with the same insurance as yours have filed claims as well. With hundreds of claims, the company will be under scrutiny and hopefully under pressure to be fair to all. If you don't think they're being fair with you, your only option would be to hire an attorney.
In your original thread about the bumper, an insurance professional from CA. posted his name and number with an offer to speak with you. I'd take him up on the offer. Keep us posted as we hope for the best possible outcome for you. BTW, I test drove a new A6 last week. Really sweet, the 2.0t has improved hp and torque for 2016 and is pretty quick, I can only guess that the 3.0 would scream.
Old 05-26-15, 10:41 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

I'm going to assume your car is done, car that experiences water that high, everything is ruined. If its not, go hydrolock your engine lol.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 05-26-15, 11:37 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joshhleee
I'm going to assume your car is done, car that experiences water that high, everything is ruined. If its not, go hydrolock your engine lol.
Can't do that anymore since you stated here in the public forums lol. Little investigation here and there.
Old 05-26-15, 11:38 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts

Yeah with that much water there's no way your car isn't totaled
Old 05-26-15, 01:04 PM
1Mlexusm
Driver School Candidate

Default Sorry:

Unfortunate but your car is certainly toast. Would you ever buy it back if it was "reconditioned"? Insurance co. will pay you acv and stamp the the ownership document a flood car. If the insurance company is on the ball, they will deduct diminished value from acv for any old damage. Try to collect actual damage from the other party. Good luck.

Retired claims adjuster.
Old 05-26-15, 02:53 PM
skizzot200
Driver School Candidate

Dude I am so sorry that happened to you. I am also in Houston, and was just praying and watching the water rise towards my garage. Lucky me, it stopped before it got inside my car at all, just crept up the wheels a little bit.

Really so sorry man... stay safe other wise, hopefully we dont get any more rain
Old 05-26-15, 04:40 PM
Akatsuki
Lead Lap

Holy crap. I'm pretty sure it's totaled . I'm in the Houston area also and I hope the insurance is going to take care of you.
Old 05-26-15, 06:34 PM
rxqd
Rookie

thanks for the support guys, got to my car finally, as expected all electricity dead, even my keys with electric lock/unlock all dead, i felt my cup holders and it was full of flood water. I got my work badge and just leave it at that.

funny thing is I had so much **** happen to my car in the time span of 5 months for this new car
-windshield crack - had to replace out of pocket 1.5k cause my deductible was almost the same
-windshield crack #2 on new windshield - got it filled
-bumper get hit by a teenager with a driver license for 4 month, haven't gotten it fixed yet but it was their fault
-totaled car from flood damage

I'm not even that mad anymore lol, I can't deal with this

Quick Reply: I get hit by someone now my car is flooded