IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350's 3.5 L V6 is being replaced by a 3.0L for 2016?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-15, 05:57 PM
brucereddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
even without turbo a high revving 3.0 L V6 is no joke, especially knowing it'd be derived from the current 3.5.
What is the Rev limit on the current 3.5L? How will a High Revving 3.0 L perform better than 3.5L V6?
Old 05-18-15, 05:59 PM
brucereddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Salesmen are omniscient. You should believe everything they say.
I get the sarcasm, but this guy is at the dealership for a very long time & has good reviews. Otherwise, I would Not post it here on CL and waste everybodyy's time.
Old 05-18-15, 06:02 PM
brucereddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Machine13
I read somewhere that the 2.5 liter engine (4GR-FSE) and the 3.5 liter engine (2GR-FSE) share many of the same components. So, I suspect that there will be inventory stockpile implications that cause Lexus to decide to update both engines at the same time.

Since the rumor of the day is that Lexus will drop a new 2.0 liter turbo in the base model IS, it is my opinion that, for financial reasons, Lexus would also make the switch on a new engine to replace the 3.5 liter at the same time, or very soon after, so that they don’t lose the benefits of parts commonality that they currently benefit from. Keeping two production lines and complete sets of engine parts has got to be enormously expensive. Switching away from the 3.5 liter at the same time as the 2.5 liter may save them many millions.

Since we know Lexus has already begun to adopt the new mantra of 0.5 liter per cylinder that other manufacturer’s have adopted, they may be able to draw from the same common parts bins that other manufacturer’s use, which will make inventory logistics even easier and cheaper for Lexus than it was. So, it’d be doubly financially beneficial for them if they were to switch all their engines quickly to this new mantra.

As far as what the IS 350’s engine will become, I can only see it becoming a new twin-turbo 3.0 liter V6. Similar to the new Mercedes Benz C400. I doubt they’ll do an inline 6 and with a V-6 I think it necessitates two turbos, right? And there’s no way they’ll downgrade to a 3.0 liter naturally aspirated engine, no way. I imagine the new IS 300tt will be a beast performance-wise.

What I don’t understand is how Lexus will maintain their reputation for reliability with all these new turbos. Get the old reliable 350’s while they last people. Glad I did.
Hope you are enjoying the IS350, I am also planning on leasing one.

As someone else pointed out in the earlier post, a 3.0L - High REvving- NA engine, would be much better than a Turbo. That could be a possiblity for MY2016.
Old 05-18-15, 06:04 PM
brucereddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jkonquer
They don't usually disclose these type of information to a dealer, let alone a sale man. But it is highly possible since toyota will be using BMW's inline 6 turbo platform for their new supra.
Yep, that's another possibility. But, I read that Toyota Supra will be getting a V4 engine.
Old 05-18-15, 06:10 PM
brucereddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
i agree, but all signs are pointing to IS200T will replacing IS250 in MY16, and IS350 will remains the same for one more model year.
Yes, most of us already knew that IS250 will be replaced by the IS200T in MY'16, but didn't think that they might be planning to replace the IS350. We'll know for sure by the month of July'16.
Old 05-18-15, 06:11 PM
brucereddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Wht95scort
350 is staying. 250 will be replaced by the 300. Also will be available with the new turbo engine as a RWD only.
Hey Buddy, do you mean 250 will be replaced by a 200 turbo?
Old 05-18-15, 06:12 PM
brucereddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by goldengame
I've read a bunch of rumors on the internet and most of them seem to be saying that the 250 will be replaced by a 2.0 turbo, while the 350 will stay the same for 2016. Does anyone know when Lexus usually reveals their new model year lineup?
In the month on July. There's a whole another thread on that topic, if you want to know more.
Old 05-18-15, 07:45 PM
Wht95scort
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brucereddy
Hey Buddy, do you mean 250 will be replaced by a 200 turbo?
Yes, 200T. There will also be a 300 model for the AWD version.
Old 05-19-15, 04:10 AM
Loe
Pole Position

Given that the 3.5L is still around in the new RX and even the new Tacoma, I am not sure if it would even make sense for Lexus to retire it from a costs standpoint. But maybe its just me in that I would rather have an increase in redline by 1,000rpm, and a bumped output in the 330-340hp range and more aggressive gearing to match? It would make sense that they keep the 3.5L and also give it Aktinson cycle capabilities like the 3.5L in the Tacoma or even the 5.0L in the RCF to boost cruising MPG.

Hhowever, given that the 2017 Q50/Q60's are scheduled with what seems to be a healthy TT V6, maybe lexus will keep the 3.5L and add some turbo's to it while also giving it an Aktinson cycle to boost MPG? Either way, Lexus/Toyota is always hushed about progression and usually doesn't release anything until last minute; we will have to wait until July for MY16 updates (and again the following year for MY17).
Old 05-19-15, 09:22 AM
shirosan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Exactly, Lexus's new turbocharged cars will be far more reliable than the competition. Why?

Lexus makes their own turbos in house. From design to raw materials to installation of the vehicle, everything is in house. This allows for quality, durability, and reliability of their turbos. They don't outsource them like the competition does.
Nailed it! That is why Lexus is such a great platform and known for their reliability. It would be great to see this new change but at the same time I hope Lexus keeps pushing forward with reliable products. Only time will tell lol
Old 05-19-15, 10:18 AM
sorptd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Loe
Given that the 3.5L is still around in the new RX and even the new Tacoma, I am not sure if it would even make sense for Lexus to retire it from a costs standpoint. But maybe its just me in that I would rather have an increase in redline by 1,000rpm, and a bumped output in the 330-340hp range and more aggressive gearing to match? It would make sense that they keep the 3.5L and also give it Aktinson cycle capabilities like the 3.5L in the Tacoma or even the 5.0L in the RCF to boost cruising MPG.

Hhowever, given that the 2017 Q50/Q60's are scheduled with what seems to be a healthy TT V6, maybe lexus will keep the 3.5L and add some turbo's to it while also giving it an Aktinson cycle to boost MPG? Either way, Lexus/Toyota is always hushed about progression and usually doesn't release anything until last minute; we will have to wait until July for MY16 updates (and again the following year for MY17).
You are probably right, going by their powertrain strategy for new RX & Tacoma i'd be surprised if we see anything more than a updated NA 3.5 V6 in the IS 350, which itself will be nice if it actually happens. Never know with Lexus, they may just keep the current 3.5 V6 untouched for another model year ... they are very careful / conservative about powertrain changes
Old 05-19-15, 01:50 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

RX is gaining direct injection so its going to have 300 hp instead of the non DI 270hp but in a FWD setup. To me this means changes coming to the 350 RWD engine but when? Dunno
Old 05-20-15, 05:10 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
RX is gaining direct injection so its going to have 300 hp instead of the non DI 270hp but in a FWD setup. To me this means changes coming to the 350 RWD engine but when? Dunno
I don't think this means anything. The current IS has DI. Why would a change in the RX have anything to do with a change in the IS?
Old 05-20-15, 05:20 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

so lexus is just going to let its sport sedans have the same power as an RX and ES? Especially when several of its competition are already ~330 hp

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 05-20-15 at 05:24 AM.
Old 05-20-15, 06:08 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Loe

Whoa whoa whoa. Just because the displacement is the same, does not mean it's the same engine.

the 3.5 in the RX350 is the same as the ES350 and the Camry.

The 3.5 in the soon-to-be-released tacoma is completely different, it only shares it's displacement with the other engines.

The 3.5 in the IS350 is shared with the RC350 and GS350.

Quick Reply: IS350's 3.5 L V6 is being replaced by a 3.0L for 2016?