IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Question: normal for Seibon CF license plate frame to be warped?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-15, 08:08 PM
Luisvm
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question: normal for Seibon CF license plate frame to be warped?

I just received my Seibon carbon fiber license plate frame and it appears to be warped. I haven't installed it yet, but it clearly doesn't sit flush when I placed it on a flat surface. One side noticeably lifts up. Is this normal?

It might still mount properly, but I thought I'd throw the question out for feedback. Never had a CF plate frame in the past.

Old 05-12-15, 08:40 PM
Dalva
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happens when you fix the licence plate in it ? I think it will straighten the frame...
Old 05-12-15, 08:54 PM
ayotomy
Driver School Candidate

If you live in a hot area, could be the heat?
Old 05-13-15, 06:23 PM
Luisvm
Driver

Originally Posted by Dalva
What happens when you fix the licence plate in it ? I think it will straighten the frame...
I put it on last night and it's not as bad when installed and fastened with screws. I applied a small square of double-sided 3M tape on each side of the frame to minimize it.

Originally Posted by ayotomy
If you live in a hot area, could be the heat?
Southern California, so it gets hot, but it hasn't been crazy hot lately. I'm sure it could be a contributing factor. Seems like CF products, whether something small like a cheap license plate frame or large like a hood, are prone to warping. Although it doesn't seem to be a common issue raised on this forum with all the CF spoilers and front lips.
Old 05-13-15, 06:50 PM
ddvette9
Pole Position

I would ask for a new one and contact Seibon if it was me. Where did you buy it from?
Old 05-14-15, 12:02 PM
Luisvm
Driver

Originally Posted by ddvette9
I would ask for a new one and contact Seibon if it was me. Where did you buy it from?
That's what I ended up doing. I bought it online from CARiD. I contacted them to explain the situation. Their customer service was awesome. They responded within 24 hours and offered to send me a replacement frame no questions asked.
Old 05-14-15, 01:32 PM
ddvette9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Luisvm
That's what I ended up doing. I bought it online from CARiD. I contacted them to explain the situation. Their customer service was awesome. They responded within 24 hours and offered to send me a replacement frame no questions asked.
How much was it on car ID with shipping?

Also, how is the fit and finish of the frame? Seem cheap or decent quality?
Old 05-14-15, 04:25 PM
Luisvm
Driver

Originally Posted by ddvette9
How much was it on car ID with shipping?

Also, how is the fit and finish of the frame? Seem cheap or decent quality?
It was $35.00 with shipping. I don't think USPS was an option, but I can't remember. Mine was shipped through UPS.

The finish is excellent -- there are no blemishes in the carbon fiber. It feels like a good quality product. Aside from the frame being warped, the actual size was spot on and it fits the plate perfectly. Also, the inside bottom of the frame has two small tabs to cradle the plate and prevent it from moving around or scratching the bumper.
Old 05-14-15, 05:16 PM
ddvette9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Luisvm
It was $35.00 with shipping. I don't think USPS was an option, but I can't remember. Mine was shipped through UPS.

The finish is excellent -- there are no blemishes in the carbon fiber. It feels like a good quality product. Aside from the frame being warped, the actual size was spot on and it fits the plate perfectly. Also, the inside bottom of the frame has two small tabs to cradle the plate and prevent it from moving around or scratching the bumper.
Wow sounds awesome. Will you post pictures when you get your new one?
Old 06-01-15, 10:38 AM
Luisvm
Driver

*UPDATE: I ended up just keeping the original plate. One week later, I still hadn't received my replacement , so I followed up with the CARiD rep. The rep claims he contacted the manufacturer (Seibon) who said the warping is normal/present in all of their carbon fiber plates. While this may be true, I'm sure it boils down to a question of degree. Anyhow, I didn't feel like dealing with it anymore, so I mounted it using a small square of 3M double-sided tape on each side of the frame. The 3M tape reduces trunk noise and made it sit flush. I imagine that the next time I remove the plate it will have straightened out on its own after sitting in the sun on my car. Here's a few pictures: