IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

When will Lexus reveal the official 2016 lineup (including IS 200T)?

Old 05-08-15, 02:13 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Booster
fully agree. i will be totally shocked if lexus waits an entire year longer til 2017.

that would be a very bad move for their sales.

and for the record, i believe the 200T variants of the IS and RC will receive more praise and fare much better in comparisons tests than the 350 variants.

IS200T will be properly matched with 328i
RC200T will be properly matched with 428i

right now... is250 can't compete with anybody and the is350 does not have the thrust to compete with 335i and S4. like someone above said... they need to add turbo to compete with those brawlers.

and the rc 350 can't compete with 435i or S5, but add Turbo and BAM!... game changer
you do realize that the IS350 won just about every comparison test out there with 3.5L V6. You're saying the mags would actually care about a 200T when a faster variant exists? They'll only care if a 3.xxL turbo comes out.
Old 05-08-15, 02:20 PM
Booster
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexusFirst
I think Lexus aren't waiting. They are just behind the schedule.
Lexus should have change the 250 to 200T and 350 to something new with turbo at the time they release the 2014 model. Even they make the RCF to beat with the M4. BMW has already move from V8 to a 6 with turbo. Lexus is never on the top of the game at least on the performance.
I guess reliability is what holding them back. It is because a bad turbo design would lead to a lot of issues. It seems like Lexus is using NX as an experiment to test out the new turbo and engine,
It turns out NX is very successful.
I hope Lexus will make a good 200T the coming year.
totally agree. they should have gone turbo with the new generations from the start.

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
plus that was a brand new powertrain, when they put it in IS200T, it would be much refined after one year of troubleshooting.
in addition to that, much mention has been made of the 6 speed only transmission and it is highly likely that if they were to drop the 200T into the IS/RC models, it would be matted to an 8 speed similar to the way the 328i / 428i is set up.

1 year of tweaks + better gearbox + far less weight = huge potential for improvement in acceleration.

Originally Posted by EZZ
you do realize that the IS350 won just about every comparison test out there with 3.5L V6. You're saying the mags would actually care about a 200T when a faster variant exists? They'll only care if a 3.xxL turbo comes out.
IS200T would not compare to the rivals of the 350. Each car has it's own bracket. they will certainly care about the IS200T when it competes very well and possibly outclasses it competition in key areas.

that's like saying why would anyone care about the Audi S3 and S4 when the Audi RS7 destroys them both. they are all great cars in their own right.

Last edited by Booster; 05-08-15 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-08-15, 03:58 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

totally agree. they should have gone turbo with the new generations from the start.

in addition to that, much mention has been made of the 6 speed only transmission and it is highly likely that if they were to drop the 200T into the IS/RC models, it would be matted to an 8 speed similar to the way the 328i / 428i is set up.

1 year of tweaks + better gearbox + far less weight = huge potential for improvement in acceleration.

IS200T would not compare to the rivals of the 350. Each car has it's own bracket. they will certainly care about the IS200T when it competes very well and possibly outclasses it competition in key areas.

that's like saying why would anyone care about the Audi S3 and S4 when the Audi RS7 destroys them both. they are all great cars in their own right.
Your comparison makes no sense. I'm comparing the same car with an engine upgrade. Its more a like why doesn't anyone care about the A4 or TLX 2.5L or the G25. I see way more reviews of the IS350, 335, and S4 than their weaker kin the IS250, 328, and A4. My point is that the mags usually give more attention to the higher offerings in each category and when the IS350 goes 3.0L turbo, is when it'll get the attention.
Old 05-08-15, 07:12 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You seem to think turbo with more gears is always better, but in fact that is not the case. Much has been said of the 8 speed transmissions into the IS350 gear hunting specially at higher ranges. Turbo's on small displacement engines have not shown the stellar gas mileage everyone was expecting. They have benefits of their own, but also some drawbacks too. Lexus' 2l turbo will be fine in the IS due to its weight, it is undersized for the NX. Mating it to an 8 speed? That's a whole other set of compromises as the tranny will never let it reach the higher rpms that a turbo needs to be most efficient.
Old 05-08-15, 08:05 PM
Booster
Rookie

Originally Posted by My0gr81
You seem to think turbo with more gears is always better, but in fact that is not the case. Much has been said of the 8 speed transmissions into the IS350 gear hunting specially at higher ranges. Turbo's on small displacement engines have not shown the stellar gas mileage everyone was expecting. They have benefits of their own, but also some drawbacks too. Lexus' 2l turbo will be fine in the IS due to its weight, it is undersized for the NX. Mating it to an 8 speed? That's a whole other set of compromises as the tranny will never let it reach the higher rpms that a turbo needs to be most efficient.
then perhaps lexus should take a page from bmw book of hows.

328i has 240hp turbo4, 8 speed, is applauded for drivetrain, and gets 30+ mpg and some report 35+ mpg
Old 05-08-15, 08:33 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

then perhaps lexus should take a page from bmw book of hows.

328i has 240hp turbo4, 8 speed, is applauded for drivetrain, and gets 30+ mpg and some report 35+ mpg
Or perhaps, you need to wonder why the BMW is always in the shop getting fixed. It works too hard delivering results that by laws of physics and thermodynamics are known to be unrealistic. Not impossible, just unrealistic. I use to be a BMW guy too, but once I started totalling the costs of repairs and preventative things I did to avoid a failure, I realized it wasn't worth it.

I got an X3 fully loaded for a week rental, I got even worse mileage than the 2011 RX350. Power delivery was abysmal and the start/stop feature got annoying fast on stop and go commuter traffic. It did great on the wide open highway once the the traffic cleared though. I got the lady to drive it to work one day, and drove it the rest of the days. She dropped it from her list to cross shop for the RX replacement. That week end, we signed up for an NX F-Sport, even with the under powered engine.

Last edited by My0gr81; 05-08-15 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-08-15, 08:37 PM
Vihzel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really hope the 200t gets around 34 hwy/25 city to compete with the likes of C-Class and 3-series. I know Audi is bringing a brand new twin turbo engine for their 2016 Audi A4 that they tout is the most efficient engine in its class. It would be a little embarrassing for Lexus to continue to sell the 250, which would produce much less power and consume much more gas than its competitors.
Old 05-09-15, 03:53 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Or perhaps, you need to wonder why the BMW is always in the shop getting fixed. It works too hard delivering results that by laws of physics and thermodynamics are known to be unrealistic. Not impossible, just unrealistic.
Are you saying that the reason why BMW frequently brakes down is because it reaches 30+ mpg? You do realize that EPA estimated mpg is an ESTIMATE. The biggest single factor of MPG is the driver's driving style. BMW has many other problems, most notably electrical ones. The electronics is the weakest part of European cars, unfortunately. What Booster wanted to say if Lexus brings that 2.0T engine to IS250, it will be win win win situation. Lighter, more power and torque, and better mpg. If that NX's 2 liter turbo is a reliable motor, I see no reason to believe that Lexus's reliability reputation will be tainted.

By the way I just wanted to share my opinion on 2GR-FSE (3.5L V6 found on IS/GS350). This engine is one of the best naturally aspirated engines in the current market. Even though it is old and all that but if you look around, there are not that many 3.5 NA engines with 306hp, bullet proof reliable, smooth and lenient power delivery and a decent sound. NA engines have their own specific qualities that are better than their FI counterparts. Number one, instant response. Two, lenient, smooth, predictable power delivery. Three sounds good. Four better reliability. Five, on the track it might be better to have a car with a NA engine over FI one (unless FI engine is tuned to have a pick torque at higher RPMs) because RPM almost always stays at high levels.
Old 05-09-15, 07:28 AM
sorptd
Intermediate

Its more or less confirmed that IS 200t is coming this year. The new 2.0 T seems to be performing very well in new NX which has been a smash hit for Lexus. It should be perform ever better in the IS which is few hundred pound lighter

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2015/03/...t-coming-soon/

And i agree with salvadorik the 3.5 V6 found is several Toyota & Lexus models remains one of the best engines out there despite its age. The refinement of some of Turbo motors for e.g. BMW 328 is no match for the Lexus V6 IMO. I hope Lexus retains the 3.5 V6 ; all it needs it bit more power and better fuel efficiency just like what they did with the new RX & Tacoma.
Old 05-09-15, 07:51 AM
tonysg
Driver School Candidate

This is just my opinion but the Six Cylinder Engine is a marvel when it comes to balance and refinement. I have a 2014 Lexus IS 350 F Sport and in my Country, the Philippines, they did not put a speed limiter in the top end because as I was breaking it in (using the thermal method via RPM), the last phase involves testing it's limit in the top end which I hit easily at 270 k/hr. or 168.7 m/hr. in your standard. I did it in a long stretch of road which is called the SCTEX or Subic/Clark Expressway. Of course, it registered in the digital speedo, the accuracy of which is beyond my control. But I did eat the dust of a new Subaru 2.5 WRX STI which does about 0 to 100 in 5.2 seconds as versus my Lexus which is 10% slower. But I am happy nonetheless because of the quiet comfort that a Lexus provides when you are touring and the smooth shifting that an 8 speed auto provides.
Old 05-11-15, 10:19 AM
Booster
Rookie

Originally Posted by salvadorik
Are you saying that the reason why BMW frequently brakes down is because it reaches 30+ mpg? You do realize that EPA estimated mpg is an ESTIMATE. The biggest single factor of MPG is the driver's driving style. BMW has many other problems, most notably electrical ones. The electronics is the weakest part of European cars, unfortunately. What Booster wanted to say if Lexus brings that 2.0T engine to IS250, it will be win win win situation. Lighter, more power and torque, and better mpg. If that NX's 2 liter turbo is a reliable motor, I see no reason to believe that Lexus's reliability reputation will be tainted.

By the way I just wanted to share my opinion on 2GR-FSE (3.5L V6 found on IS/GS350). This engine is one of the best naturally aspirated engines in the current market. Even though it is old and all that but if you look around, there are not that many 3.5 NA engines with 306hp, bullet proof reliable, smooth and lenient power delivery and a decent sound. NA engines have their own specific qualities that are better than their FI counterparts. Number one, instant response. Two, lenient, smooth, predictable power delivery. Three sounds good. Four better reliability. Five, on the track it might be better to have a car with a NA engine over FI one (unless FI engine is tuned to have a pick torque at higher RPMs) because RPM almost always stays at high levels.
excellent post all around. and right you are. bmw reliability woes have little to nothing to do with their hp rating. and besides, CPO BMW comes with 6 yr 75K full warranty, so who cares.

that aside, yes the 2.0T engine for Lexus will be a mammoth homerun for the IS platform. It will fit the car very nicely.

and I agree that the 306 hp V6 in the 350 is one of the best V6 engines available today for reasons noted above.
Old 05-11-15, 10:42 AM
sdotk
Pole Position

If a turbo comes out i'll be upset. only because i bought the IS250 last year and would want the turbo lol
Old 05-11-15, 11:20 AM
Booster
Rookie

Originally Posted by sdotk
If a turbo comes out i'll be upset. only because i bought the IS250 last year and would want the turbo lol
"if" the turbo comes? lol

uh.. it's coming. so you better sell off your 250 now before the market gets absolutely flooded with about a million of them.
Old 05-11-15, 12:17 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

uh.. it's coming. so you better sell off your 250 now before the market gets absolutely flooded with about a million of them.
yep, it's pretty much confirmed, someone posted Lexus had already copyright the names of IS200T and RC200T last year. i only hope a F-Sport IS200T with navigation will go for $40k - $42k.
Old 05-11-15, 01:29 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I bet the VAST majority of the IS250 buyers aren't enthusiasts and wouldn't care much if the turbo came out. Enthusiasts mostly care about the IS350 and even given a chance between the 200T or the 350, most would probably buy the bigger engine if they could afford it. Where the mags will really care is if Lexus brings out a 3.0L turbo. Seems like thats not gonna happen this year.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When will Lexus reveal the official 2016 lineup (including IS 200T)?